back to article Tech-sponsored Qld police project queried by corruption probe

Some of the planet's larger IT concerns may be a little nervous today, after the publication of a report by the Australian State of Queensland's Organised Crime Commission of Inquiry (OCCI). Among the topics covered by the OCCI is Queensland Police's sometimes controversial practice of seeking private sector sponsorship of …

1. Tac Eht Xilef

Pretty sure Fiscal found fame further afield than seven schools in a pilot programme. I'd swear I got my 'Fiscal the Fraud-Fighting Ferret' bookmark at the Ekka a couple of years ago, in amongst a bunch of other ferret police-related swag.

"The commission is also sharply critical of what it sees as ineffective responses to “boiler-room” scams that operate out of the Gold Coast."

I'm sure there's a few ex-police in the area who could help them out with the intricate details there...

(For those not in the know: the Qld Fraud Squad was notorious for not so much fighting fraud as collecting it all up for itself. Ones who were 'caught' were sent to the Gold Coast - full of tourists, and home to boiler room scams, dodgy investment schemes & even dodgier betting syndicates, crooked real estate salesmen, etc - as 'punishment' until they retired.)

2. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

I seem to recall there was a case of the police turning up somewhere to disperse a group of anti-CSG protesters in Queensland earlier in the year. The police car was in the livery of a sponsoring mining company. Not the smartest of ideas if you claim to be a democracy.

3. brian.hay
    Devil

Hacker involvment in Project Synergy

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/technology/queensland-police-file-still-open-on-smh-hack-story/story-e6frgakx-1226322314514

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon