back to article Apple killed our app say Chaos Computer Club

The Chaos Computer Club is claiming that Apple has rejected an app that would stream security talks from its Chaos Communications Congress event because researchers there have previously hacked iOS. The Congress is Europe's largest hacker confab, regularly attracts more than 10,000 delegates and has run for 31 years. The event …

1. msknight

I don't get why you think the Apple rejection is odd. They have always done things their own way and screw the obvious.

Looked at from their point of view, it is probably standing up for their point of view.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Devil

They have always done things their own way

Hand carved from 100% pure bellendium with rounded corners.

2. heyrick Silver badge

Subtle mind control

Keep it out of the nicely manicured walled garden...it doesn't exist, right?

1. Kraggy

Re: Subtle mind control

Anyone with the remotest interest in this subject is under no illusions about what Apple's App Store is all about.

It's Apple's system and they have the perfect right to control it as they see fit, users can't fail to realise the 'mind control' Apple exerts, they agree to it when they purchase Apple's products.

No, I'm not an Apple 'fanboi', I think Apple is a far more 'evil' company than Microsoft ever was, but what they do is hardly a secret.

1. P. Lee

>It's Apple's system and they have the perfect right to control it as they see fit,

Ah, the purist capitalist!

Certainly in Europe, if a company gains a significant amount of control in a market segment, it acquires obligations to play nice and does *not* have the perfect right do as it sees fit.

That said, I have to to start wondering why the CCC needs an app to stream data. That begins to look like the old, "you need a codec" ploy.

1. Richard Taylor 2

That said, I have to to start wondering why the CCC needs an app to stream data. That begins to look like the old, "you need a codec" ploy.

Probably an attempt to "stick it to the man"

3. Sgt_Oddball

Well if it makes you feel better..

Was recently tickled to find that the Leeds County Council City free wifi considers El Reg to be a hacking website... I really should have played around abit more to see just how obscure I could go find but I think i could do with my laptop before I try that one.

h

1. James O'Shea

Re: Well if it makes you feel better..

As I've reported on El Reg's comments section before, El Reg (and CNET!) has been considered an evil hacking website by some cretins for quite some time now.

4. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Wow....

if only there was an alternative way of streaming video to an internet connected device.

Welcome to the brave new world.

5. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

No surprise there

Apple doesn't like having its magic boxes prised apart, and forbids so in its terms and conditions.

I would also be somewhat surprised if the CCC was on Apple's christmas card list.

An english version of Peter Shaw's blog post on this is now availiable (just scroll down) https://unthoughted.wordpress.com/2015/10/31/apple-verbietet-inhalte-vom-chaos-computer-club-auf-ihrer-plattform/ or on http://pastebin.com/zt1n0rpv

6. tkioz

This is why the rise of 'walled gardens' are a bad thing. Most smartphone users I know don't even know you can install apps without using the appstore. Sure most people like that aren't interested in this conference, but it does show just how powerful companies like Apple and Google have become.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

See no evil.

.hear no evil.

And China loves IOS !

8. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Well Duh!

So Apple bans an app that could be used to discover how to break the security of the systems they sell?

(jailbreaking)

They are onto a loser whichever way they go. Bad Apple for removing the CCC app or Bad Apple for letting this hacking App stay in the App store?

You choose ok?

But the publicity that the CCC hs gained from this action is worth an awful lot to them.... All publicity is good publicity eh?

1. Richard 22
      FAIL

Re: Well Duh!

This isn't a hacking app. It's an app which allows people to watch video streams from a conference where some people may be discussing security issues (including hacking) which may or may not be related to iOS.

They allow the YouTube app which allows access to the same videos and a whole heap more.

2. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Re: Well Duh!

KNOWLEDGE IS A CRIME!

DO YOU EVEN PRAISE JOBS?

9. GregC

Apple has been contacted for comment.

10/10 for persistence and optimism!

10. Your alien overlord - fear me

Would hackers even watch it from an iThing? They know the NSA is watching them watching the CCC videos through the state-sponsered backdoors in iOS. That's the real reason why Apple doesn't like people poking around, they'd see alot of OMG stuff in there.

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

State sponsored back doors

If these do exist in iOS then why would the Feds need to force Apple to decrypt a suspects iDevice?

Can we have some evidence please? I'd like to go slap tim cook around the head with it if it is true.

But all the evidence seems to point to their being no back doors in iOS.

come on now, prove us all wrong and then we can rejoice in the fact that iOS is as crappy as Android.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: But all the evidence seems to point to their being no back doors in iOS.

Hey, that is the standard bent.

The Apple bent sis that they don't do the actual work of the security forces !

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

eh?

You buy a censorship phone, you get a censorship phone, what were you expecting?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: eh?

Down voter, what don't you understand about a walled garden, who operates it and who's rules you have to obey if you [expensively] buy in to it?

12. Cincinnataroo

The choice is yours

If this article is correct and if you actually care about this sort of thing

THEN you have a fairly obvious choice to make (maybe when you buy your next device).

If not, carry on as before.

13. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Walled Garden Rules are Walled Garden Rules

But if you make shit up while applying them they are no longer rules, they are willful pig-headedness.

And pestilence shall come unto your family and be carried down the generations forevermore!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like