back to article Why was the modem down? Let us count the ways. And phone lines

Welcome again to On-Call, our regular reader-contributed tales of the jobs they've been asked to do at unpleasant hours of the day or night, in out-of-the-way places or under otherwise ridiculous circumstances. This week, reader Jean-Marc brings us a memory from 1998, when he worked as “a sysadmin looking after a network of …

1. J.G.Harston Silver badge

Well, actually, that's the excuse I use when I get phoned by a "there's something wrong with your computer" scammers. When they ask me to go to a website I screech the modem down the line, then tell them I need to hang up to continue.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Ohh, nasty! But I like it. I happen to have a modem plugged into the web server and telephone line, and so doing this is as easy as SSHing to the box, running screen /dev/ttyS0 115200 and typing the appropriate AT commands.

ATX0

ATDT34567890

ought to do the trick.

2. BenBell
    Pint

Aahh 1998, the days of Dialup, the year I started secondary school.. when all I had to master was kicking my brother off the phone so I could do my homework :)

Have a beer and thanks for another article thats going to make me waste a weekend playing with old toys.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

> the year I started secondary school..

> do my homework :)

euphemism detected

2. JeffyPoooh
      Pint

"Aahh 1998, the days of Dialup..."

More like 1978. 300 baud rubber cup thingy.

By 1980 we had a half dozen computers at our family home.

And no doubt even before then...

1. introdium

Re: "Aahh 1998, the days of Dialup..."

was thinking same thing.... 1987 was dialing up to bbs's like a madman...

3. tony2heads
    Trollface

<4 yorksiremen> Hardware modem?

You were lucky - all we had was a software modem, and you had to reconfigure it every time you used it.

</4 yorkshiremen>

1. TimR

Re: <4 yorksiremen> Hardware modem?

Software modem? You were lucky - we used to use acoustic couplers - 300 bps on a good day!

If you're too young - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acoustic_coupler

1. Rich 11

Heh. We used to have a teletype positioned behind the service desk (must have been in 1984 or so). Whenever someone wanted to book a half-hour session on it, it had to be hooked up with the desk's phone. Peace and quiet...

1. Peter Simpson 1
          Thumb Up

In university, I had my own personal Teletype.

I'm probably the only one who has ever programmed a HERE IS drum. Had my login password on it.

1. Commswonk

Damn you sir; you have made me go misty eyed with nostalgia... all this talk of answer back drums and so on.

2. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Luxury

We had to solder our own acoustic couplers from a Radio Shack kit and a pair of old headphones.

1. BoldMan

Re: Sheer Luxury

We had to whistle our own connection tones down the line and then shout ones and zeros...

1. Montreal Sean

Re: Sheer Luxury

Ones and zeros? You were cutting edge!

All I had was zeros.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Lee D Silver badge

Re: Luxury

And, you know, you tell the kids of today that... and they won't believe you.

<murmurings>

2. Woza

Morse code? Luxury - we had to make do with dots, because dashes hadn't been invented yet. The only letters we could send were E, H, I and S.

1. Lee D Silver badge

Dammit. One letter short of describing BT's normal service, then.

2. Anthony Hegedus Silver badge

Don't knock it. In 1982 or so I had a Jupiter Ace Forth-based "computer". Actually it was a very clever design put in a cheap plastic case with the usual dead-flesh keys of the 80s, before we found ways of making keyboards for a quid. But I digress.

I wrote a program that allowed me to whistle morse code from across the room, and convert it to text on the fly. My mates were extremely impressed, because nobody had seen anything like that before. I had never even seen a modem, not that I'd have known what to do with it anyway.

1. Vic

I had a Jupiter Ace Forth-based "computer".

I've still got one of those.

Vic.

3. Peter Simpson 1
              Happy

The only letters we could send were E, H, I and S.

You forgot T

Can't do SHIT without it...

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

You forgot T

Can't do SHIT without it...

T is a - not a .

Hence, he was unable to send it.

2. Jan 0 Silver badge

@Peter Simpson 1

It just looks like you don't know Morse code.

4. AbelSoul
              Trollface

Re: The only letters we could send were E, H, I and S

That must have been SHI E.

5. DropBear
              Trollface

"The only letters we could send were E, H, I and S."

I don't get it - so what stopped you designating one of those "0" and some other as "1"...?!? Sheesh, kids these days...

4. joewilliamsebs

Can't be true

The end user recognised their error and how to correct it rather than angrily blaming the tech. That's just ridiculous fantasy-world thinking.

1. Elmer Phud

Re: Can't be true

That's what I thought -- a real end-user would have demanded the fault fixed while they were still on the line.

5. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Anonymous Coward
      Facepalm

Oh crap

You've got the ACME Splaffer back online then

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Anonymous Coward
          Terminator

Like we "love" chlamydia?

Jesus Christ the thing's got its own webpage!

The end is neigh

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Like we "love" chlamydia?

We had a chlamydia growing up our wall.

Lovely flowers.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Re: Lovely flowers.

...but not so lovely to smell?

2. Captain DaFt

Re: Like we "love" chlamydia?

"We had a chlamydia growing up our wall.

Lovely flowers."

Yes, they do best when planted with perineum.

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

The end is neigh

Stop horsing around :)

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
              Coat

Stop horsing around :)

Crap! Humblest apologies for my Malapropy.

6. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

CSOCM (Carrier Sense Oh Crap it's a Modem)

2. Terry 6 Silver badge

This dial-up protocol also worked for fax machines ( and actually, still does).

3. Graham Dawson Silver badge

I remember trying that for a couple of head-to-head games of c&c and red alert. Must have been the last gasp of that particular faff.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ahh memories…

Funnily enough, not so distant for me. I still even have the old Maestro Executive 144 modem I used to use as a primary internet connection.

And yes, I have in fact used it this century: for testing configuration of UUCP for a coal train weighbridge system. We were replacing crusty old SCO OpenServer systems with Ubuntu Linux, and this was the closest I had to the Netcomms that the company used (running at 1200 bps, because the phone lines out west are REALLY crap).

I had it dialling into another modem attached to the server via our phone system internally. Still works.

Later we hope to use some technology from this century: perhaps something SSH-based over 3G. (UUCP over SSH isn't too difficult.)

8. Richard Jones 1

Intelligent Modems Bah

I was on a gig in Japan and needed a link to a machine some distance away from Yokohama. We had direct facilities between the two sites so all should have been easy. What was needed was a basic modem nothing more nothing less, so I was provided with a pair of super smart PSTN devices. The problem was that the signalling between the true end points used a complex mixture of control signals, which the modem kept jumping in to read and respond to. It took ages to find all of the ways to turn the super smart into super dumb to make sure it worked in the application not always easy when you were 120 miles away from the far end with no on the ground support!

9. x 7

dialing into an ISP was easy.

The hard trick was correctly configuring the modem to dial into a local data service node such as BT's Packet Switchstream so you could access online data services........each network required different modem settings and half the time the correct ones didn't work anyway

10. Efros

Ahh the screeching chirrup

of the modem, you got so used to it you could tell by the tones roughly what speed your 56k (Hah!) device had finally connected at. I well remember leaving my machine connected overnight to download IE4 (about 25MB IIRC). I also remember an MS presentation on IE4 where they wouldn't answer the question as to why the upgrade didn't allow reconnections to start the download where it left off, apparently the suits couldn't comprehend a world where people weren't on DSL.

1. dotdavid

Re: Ahh the screeching chirrup

"why the upgrade didn't allow reconnections to start the download where it left off"

There used to be a wealth of download manager tools for Windows for this reason, I remember. GetRight for example.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Go!Zilla was another.

And yes, I remember we used to buy the magazine CDs as it saved a 20MB download of Netscape which was a good couple of hours on 28.8kbps dial-up.

1. JeffyPoooh
          Pint

"...buy the magazine CDs as it saved a 20MB download of Netscape which was a good couple of hours on 28.8kbps dial-up."

CDs? Noobie.

In the early 1980s, we typed in three pages of BASIC every month.

Maybe stored it to cassette tape.

2. Zippy's Sausage Factory

I still use GetRight, but usually only when DownThemAll won't handle it (which is increasingly rare - usually it's the other way round these days)

2. Kubla Cant

... followed by "GBoing-GBoing". I'm sure there was a technical reason why the faster modems made this cartoon-ish sound.

11. Joe Werner Silver badge

He got it...

... so give him a break (ok, the technician had to laugh at / about him first, but it dawned on him). But a classic nonetheless

12. mikecoppicegreen

Ah- the joys of email over dial up

<oldfartmode>

I remember in the mid - 90's travelling, and collecting compuserve email using PSTN dial up.

Those nice little sets of plugs, complete with screwdriver, leads and croc clips to connect directly to the phone line if you didn't have a compatible plug.

The worst was trying to collect email from Taiwan - I'm not sure what the delays were, but it was horrifically slow. Using a credit card directly to pay for the phone call made the dial up string enormously long.

Things improved with Nokia mobile phones with wired connection to the laptop - also late 90's.

</oldfartmode>

1. Gordon 10
      Alert

Re: Ah- the joys of email over dial up

Remember trying to collect Mail on the psion revo/3/5 with the funky little battery powered IR modem. Cutting edge portable computing!

2. JeffyPoooh
      Pint

Re: Ah- the joys of email over dial up

"...late 90's..." .NE. <oldfartmode>

That's <noobiemode>.

13. TonyJ

Reminds me

I was fairly early into my IT career having moved from electronics engineering.

One of the jobs I was sent to do was for a large bank/credit card company to set up this really fancy video conferencing camera.

They picked me to do it because it came with things like a little mixing deck and could face track and it was "well kind of like electronics".

I got it all set up and plugged into the ISDN line that had been run into the conference room. Checked it with a call to the company that provided it and got the job signed off and went home.

Next morning I had a call from my manager - apparently the director who first tried to use it was fuming that she couldn't connect so I was made to haul ass back down to put it right.

Got there...checked it... worked.

Tracked the director down - eventually. She was far too busy to interact with a low level pleb like me and showed her it working.

Anyway I was about to leave when she called me back as it wasn't working again. A bit of faffing around showed that she shared the ISDN line - they themselves had run some kind of extension from it. The software she had on her laptop used the ISDN line to do some kind of work and of course when she was using it, the video conferencing system couldn't.

And the horrid cow tried to blame me for not using the right line that her own staff had put in.

14. Yugguy

I cry bullshit

Feels like an urban myth story to me.

1. x 7

Re: I cry bullshit

"Feels like an urban myth story to me."

If you've ever done front-desk support for an ISP (I have) you'll have experienced it loads of times. Its real, and very common (or at least was in the days of dialup)

1. Tabor

The urban myth in this case would presumably be that the end user realized what the issue was, without the use of a BOFH-style cattle prod.

2. Jens Goerke

BTDT - my first question was if that modem was on its own line, which it was.

45 minutes later the customer mentioned that he had plugged in the phone he was using into the same socket.

15. GlenP Silver badge

Mention of Nokia connections...

Reminds me of sitting outside my tent in the middle of a field at a rally doing the month end processing (it was that long ago when such things still had to be done). Had to use the cable connection between the phone and laptop as it was too sunny for IrDA to work.

Everyone thought I was mad but it made the difference between getting stuck in to the beer late morning and having a 3 hour round trip plus 2 hours work time to go in to the office, and a 9600bps connection was fine for the TN5250 terminal emulator.

Glen

1. Soruk

Re: Mention of Nokia connections...

I used to use the cardboard core of a loo roll to line up my phone and IrDA attachment when it got too sunny.

16. Ol'Peculier

Wire photo scanners

All of this has reminded me of when I used to work for a photo agency that had a wire scanner to send photo's to newspaper. Painfully slow, and as for transmitting colour...

Different times...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Headmaster

Re: Wire photo scanners

Someone needs to retroactively re-evaluate their apostrophe abuse protocol.

1. Andy A

Perfectly appropriate apostrophe usage. Not a "greengrocer's" one at all.

1. Jan 0 Silver badge

@Andy A. You are deliciously correct. I foolishly upvoted AC for the nice usage.

17. P. Lee

Modems weren't bad

Unless of course, you were too cheap to buy a proper serial-connected one and bought a "winmodem" instead.

USB or Serial? RS323 is still far less robust when it goes through a USB adapter. If you want to come into the modern world, Serial ATA anyone? Serial-Attached-SCSI? (Serial) Thunderbolt (hmm multiple 10G lanes)? or would you like USB? USB is great for mice and keyboards and webcams. It kinda works for portable disks - if anyone still does that sort of thing.

1. Tabor
      Headmaster

Re: Modems weren't bad

RS232, please.

1. Will Godfrey Silver badge
        Thumb Up

Every time!

2. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

It's 100 less than RS-423 of course!

2. J.G.Harston Silver badge

RS323 is a standard for air-cooling lead-mounted components. (linky)

3. DropBear

"WTF is RS323?"

Who knows, maybe it's one of those newfangled 3V logic level modems, so you have to connect it through a MAX3232 instead of the classic ye olde 5V MAX232...

3. phuzz Silver badge
      Thumb Up

USB3 for a backup drive is perfect for small companies. Pretty zippy too.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I still have a practically unused Roland A3 flatbed plotter here which connects via RS232 (not 323 :) ) or Centronics. Don't have anything to connect it too, though, so I plan to bring it along for the Computer museum when I go to London again (it's certain to create excess baggage charges, this thing was made with real steel)...

18. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken
    Pint

1964 Livermore Data Systems Model A Acoustic Coupler Modem surfs the net

Okay, this is from 2009, so maybe you've already seen it - still a good start for the weekend:

1964 Livermore Data Systems Model A Acoustic Coupler Modem

I have suggested it elsewhere (BoingBoing) before: we should start calling this sort of stuff 'Transistorpunk'.

19. Mondo the Magnificent
    Thumb Up

Dial in, handshake and work....

When I was in the mainframe business, we made use of dial up modems

It started with a few Paradigm FDX2400 modems on a shelf to allow data capture staff to work from home..

They would either connect via their PC's serial port, or we'd happily provide a "dumb terminal" to those who didn't have a PC - in those days, RS232 ASCII FIFO menus were leading edge..

It also got expensive as we had to pay the remote workers; phone bills and many didn't have itemised billing... so we could have been paying for private calls too..

Enter the Octocom Modems, rack mount card type units with a dial-me, connect, verify and I will call you back configuration...

These were great and fast at 9600BPS with a unified management interface and it lowered our phone bill reimbursement costs greatly.

We never bothered to exceed 9600BPS for remote workers because our menus were ASCII based, so as modem speeds improved, only those of us who accessed IOL, BBS systems and undertook remote system admin needed 14.4K+

Today the modem is a relic, but I recall how we were blown away by 19.2K speeds, then finally 56K, before companies started making "double barrel" modem products that had two modems in one box and required two phone lines...

The modem, gone, but never forgotten and certainly not missed....

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Dial in, handshake and work....

The modem, gone, but never forgotten and certainly not missed....

If you live in Norfolk, it aint gone nor forgotten

My mother still has only dial up because she's more than 4Km from the exchange

It's one of the reasons the "agriculture online" project is failing for Farmers

20. CP/M-80

I'm actually thinking of buying a modem. We have appalling broadband at home - it struggles to stream 64kbps internet radio at weekends and about once a month drops out for a few hours. Our new router/firewall has a modem fallover port. Do those 0845 1p per minute dial-up services still exist?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

There are (still) "free" lo-call dialup numbers... but if you're only getting 64k on ADSL you'd be very lucky to manage 28.8 on dialup.

I'd get the line looked at. What's the loop length? Anything run underground between you and your cabinet? Any lovely '70s aluminium?

2. Lee D Silver badge

That's cute. You think you're going to get any kind of modern browsing or streaming done whatsoever over such lines.

If you can't stream 64kbps with the background traffic, what makes you think that V92 at 56kbps, with higher latency and longer resyncs every time there's a tiny audible blip on the line is going to be any better?

Look into less mainstream alternatives or forget it. At best, you want an ADSL/VDSL bonding/failover router that can run on two phone lines (yes, you would have to pay to put a new one in). But anything involving modems on analogue lines was replaced years ago. Even industrial control has moved on to 3G, wireless, -over-IP, etc.

I wouldn't waste your money for even a test dial-up. Even UK2.net don't advertise their analogue ISP any more, so presumably that's dead.

3. rhydian

As mentioned you're much better off either getting your current line fixed properly (modems are just as sensitive to line noise as ADSL) or looking at something like 3/4G or satellite.

21. Lee D Silver badge

My favourite when someone is bugging me goes along the nearest possible lines to:

"I can't get on the helpdesk" - "No problem, just file a ticket."

"I can't get my inbox" - "No problem, can you just shoot me a quick email so I know what mailbox I'm looking at."

"I can't get online" - "Ah, if you go to our website we have an FAQ for that"

It's amazing how often people fall for it if you word things carefully.

22. regadpellagru

obligatory youtube sound reference

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHW1ho8L7V8

Can't see why no-one has posted it already ...

23. rhydian

Ah, the days of modems...

Back in the day (probably about the turn of the century) I was doing some work experience at a PC repair workshop. It was two weeks of tinkering and I learned a lot. Especially after the thunderstorm...

Basically, a large thunderstorm rolled in across the local area one night, and for the next four days the most common job that came in was for blown modems. You could actually see the scorch marks on some of the boards. Usual rate for a V90 internal modem at the time was something like £60 including fitting (except for one poor bloke with a compaq that used an odd half-height card which was something like £70 on its own). I don't think we saw any dead motherboards, but of course it would have been possible.

At least with a DSL Modem/router the unit was usually external so when it went bang it didn't kill anything else.

1. x 7

Re: Ah, the days of modems...

"At least with a DSL Modem/router the unit was usually external so when it went bang it didn't kill anything else."

my experience is that the network port on the motherboard oftenalso gets blown if the ADSL router gets knocked out

1. rhydian

Re: Ah, the days of modems...

Sounds plausible, however these days in most domestic situations there's hardly anything cabled up to the router, so the possibilities of down-the-line failures are lessened.

24. Valerion

Ah, the 90s

Used to do tech support at Compuserve as my first job out of school. Everyone's favourite line when they couldn't fix it was: "Right, well that should be ok now. If you can just hang up and try again.", thus forcing the poor customer to get off the line, find out it still didn't work and then call back back and sit in another 45 minute queue to get through to someone else. Hopefully someone else in a different call centre.

Then of course the worst line to hear in reply was: "No need, I've got a second line for the modem." as dreams of getting a lunch break and keeping your call time under the allocated 6 minutes disappeared...

25. Bob H

Modem upgrades

The Register needs to track down one of the techs who had to go around visiting the exchange PoPs in the 90s swapping out the modems. I met a guy once that said it was like painting the Forth Bridge, he'd finish the upgrade cycle and then some fool would invent a better coding scheme or increase the density of the modem racks and he'd have to go around doing it all again.

If no one puts their hands up I could track said fellow down, he works in a reasonably senior position at a service provider now.

26. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hah! Dialtone - getting it connected first..

As someone who has moved a lot between countries (they kept finding me, cough) I had to deal with the countless ways in which local phone companies tried to prevent non-local (read: far cheaper) equipment being plugged in. One of those tricks was to use the outer wires on a RJ11 terminated cable instead of the inner ones, but it's a long list. In the end I wired up a cable with two croc clamps, which came in handy when I had to travel a lot. All I needed was this croc wire and a screw driver, worked everywhere.

As for use, one of the games we used to play was uploading a very popular file to the BBS and watch spongers (people who only download and never upload, thus disturbing the cosmic balance :) ) start to download it. This was in the time before Zmodem, so there was no resume function. It was thus fun to cut the connection just before the last few bytes were downloaded so they had to do it all again. Some needed a couple of events like that before they worked out they were not welcome..

Ah, those were the days.. Anyone remember BinkleyTerm?

27. Number6

To be fair to the financial guy, at least he figured it out himself at the end. I'm sure we've all done something that daft at least once.

1. Terry 6 Silver badge

And we are talking about a period in time in which ordinary users really were in a different world, with anything computery really being like magic, so normal logical thinking just wasn't joined to computer use for most users.

Sadly, for too many people it is still like that.

2. Fred Flintstone Gold badge

I'm sure we've all done something that daft at least once.

Well, "once" is what I'm prepared to admit to without the help of a lot of beer :).

28. a_yank_lurker

Back in the day, we have vacuum tubes (valves to the Brits). Lots of fun finding the one that burned out and replacing it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Vacuum tube modem? Do tell.

29. JeffyPoooh
    Pint

Sometimes it *IS* a good idea to pick up and listen to the dial-up line...

Back in the pre-web Newsgroups days, after about a week of naïve trouble-shooting, I finally picked up the damn phone and heard this...

"The number you are calling has been changed..."

Lesson was learned.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like