back to article Hands On with Windows 10 Mobile build 10572

Microsoft released build 10572 of Windows 10 Mobile last week, hot on the heels of build 10549, as the release date nears for the first Windows 10 smartphones, the Lumia 950 and 950XL, expected in November. The company has not made it easy for Windows Insiders keeping up with the builds. Both 10549 and 10572 require first …

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. David Lawton

I see this feature as gimmicky when i think about it more, kind of like its cool, but not actually useful in the real world. If you are going to put a monitor , keyboard and mouse on a desk, you may as well just but the desktop unit as well.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Yes, but it means it's useful where you have the smallest chance of finding a docking station... if you have to bring all the pieces yourself, a Surface makes more sense.

2. Dan 55 Silver badge

Don't you want the Ubuntu phone? ARM but it doesn't matter as it's Linux and everything comes through the package installer anyway.

1. AMBxx Silver badge
          Thumb Up

No, I want a physical keyboard, even if it's miniture, like an old Psion or Nokia E90.

BlackBerry perhaps?

3. theOtherJT Silver badge

Re: Why doesn't someone bring a phone form factor X86 netbook onto the market

There have been a couple of x86 phones released - Lenovo K900 was one, I think.

I doubt it'd be easy to install anything but the supplied OS mind.

Edit:

Apparently the Asus Zenfone 6 is x86 as well, and that's much more recent.

2. markowen58

I actually think Continuum is a really good play. The majority of my office has a dell ultrabook, docking station, monitors, KB, and mouse. Along with a deskphone, and plenty of bluetooth headsets, and a company supplied mobile (usually iphone5S).

If they get it right the laptop and deskphone disappear and bean-counters rejoice.

1. dogged

> bean-counters rejoice

And to some extent, admins. MDM tools are pretty mature for Windows.

1. 0laf

Not sure about that. MS holding back a lot of features to force you to use their MDM tools.

We run into a lot of very silly MDM related issues around Winpho 8 devices which are otherwise very good.

1. The Original Steve

MDM

MDM APIs for Windows 10 are the same for phone and desktop. Therefore MobileIron, Good, InTune etc - if they manage WP10 then they can manage Windows 10 too.

The APIs are of course documented and free to use for 3rd parties.

Will make life easier managing phone, tablets and desktops all the same way.

2. theOtherJT Silver badge

Re: If they get it right the laptop and deskphone disappear and bean-counters rejoice.

I'd be very happy with this IF and it's an enormous IF I could run regular win32 programs on it, but I can't so it's no good.

What I do see here is the first step on a road that gets us where we want to be in a few years time once Intel has it's power consumption down to a level where regular Windows 10 can run on a mobile device with an Atom cpu in it.

Should that day come, this whole venture will look a lot less like a bad idea than it does right now, but for the meantime I agree with the article. A bit too niche.

3. Sean OConnor

Books

"...and everyone else releases apps for Android and iOS, but not for their phone"

If Microsoft could be arsed to get a book made that shows you how to write a Windows 10 app in C++ with DirectX (or OpenGL if it's guaranteed on every device) I'll get started porting my 11 iOS games tomorrow.

Same with Google and Android Studio.

Seems to me that iOS is the only one to have any decent books written for it.

1. Can't think of anything witty...
      Unhappy

Re: Books

i'm far from an expert on this, but weren't MS working on some technology to allow you to port apps easily from iOS / Android to WP? i had the impression that although it wan'y quite a tickbox exercise, it was significnatly easier than trying to re-create them from scratch.

As a WP user (maybe the WP user...? :P ) what really frustrates me is this chicken and egg scenario on apps. popular belief is that "WP has no apps" so people are put off the phones and developers see that "no-one buys WP" so don't make the apps. It's reasonable for both parties in isolation, but together it really puts the brakes on.

It's infuriating because as far as i can tell it's got all the funcitonality of android / iOS (basically - i am sure there are differences) and certainly there are not really any technical barriers to writing those apps... the store infrastructure is there and so on, but getting the process started just seems to be too hard.

it doesn't of course help that MS seemto be hopeless at marketing WP devices....

1. Sean OConnor

"...but weren't MS working on some technology to allow you to port apps easily from iOS / Android to WP?"

I'm not remotely interested in that. Or Xamarin, or Unity or anything else. I just want a book on how to write apps natively. God knows why Microsoft and Google spend so much time and money on their OSes and then don't bother tipping some author a bung to go write a book on how to actually program on it.

2. Dave Horn

https://dev.windows.com/en-us/bridges/ios

"I'm not remotely interested in that. Or Xamarin, or Unity or anything else. I just want a book on how to write apps natively."

Really? So instead of throwing your existing Objective C code into a free tool and having it spit out a working Windows app, you'd prefer to spend months reading a book and then doing all the hard work yourself to achieve exactly the same result?

Something not right here. Are you genuinely an iOS developer?

4. GlenP Silver badge

Apps are the Issue

Well they are for me, at least. After 18 months with a Nokia 1020 (bought mainly for the camera) I'm fed up with the apps that are available being way out of date and buggy.

The Office apps are available on Android and iOS (and are sometimes better than the WinPhone versions), and WinPhone is still unreliable* so I can see little value in sticking with MS for the phone. Next stop a Wiley Fox I think.

*Tricks like deciding to discharge the battery completely in a few hours, useful as a handwarmer but not much else.

1. theOtherJT Silver badge

Re: Apps are the Issue

I'm not sure they're as much of an issue as people often make them out to be.

I've never installed an app other than some fairly specific IT worker type stuff (SSH client, RDP client) on any phone I've ever owned. I've never needed or wanted them.

I'm pretty sure there's enough people out there who would be perfectly happy as long as the email, calendar, address book, media-player, and web browser all work well and play nicely together. You know - kinda how they did in Phone 7 :/

2. GlenP Silver badge

Generally I'd agree but there are a few I do want, this is my own phone not the work one (which is an iPhone 6, 'cause that's what the directors wanted).

1. Terry 6 Silver badge

Dammit I love my Winphone. There are few "apps" that I need, and since these are largely practical I can usually find something that will do the job for me.

I don't really understand what the missing apps are meant to be. I have a tablet with Android and most of the "apps" offered are just various version of the same stupid games

5. x 7

so.....can anyone advise?

I had to purchase a Lumia 535 in an emergency the other day. It came with 8.1

So whats the killer application for which I should upgrade (if it will - I'm not sure if it can)

6. Mikel

Abandonment issues

>Since Continuum will not work, there is a case for keeping Windows 8.1 on existing phones, and buying new if you want the Windows 10 Mobile experience.

Abandon your base. Again. And expect people to believe they won't be abandoned again next time. *Shakes head* They never learn.

1. Mike Taylor

Re: Abandonment issues

I think that's a slightly misleading sentence in the article. It sounds as if Continuum works, but the display issue is slightly compromised (ie, doesn't power two displays at two resolutions on existing phones). I think the writer's view that you need to abandon your phone is overstated - especially since it seems that WM10 works on most recent bits of hardware.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Also today...

MSFT shipped WIndows 10 preview 10576.

There's loads pouring out of MSFT's fast ring!

1. nijam Silver badge

Re: Also today...

> There's loads pouring out of MSFT's fast ring!

Food poisoning is the usual cause of those symptoms, I believe.

8. hwmiller2

We're up to build 10581.

Doesn't require reset to 8 to install.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like