back to article WD revenues hurt by slack PC demand

Western Digital saw depressed PC and notebook sales affect its disk drive business in its latest quarter, with stalling SSD sales showing negative sequential growth. A quick look at the numbers for the company's first fiscal 2016 which ended 2 October: Revenue of $3.4bn, 6.3 per cent up on the previous quarter but 12.8 per …

1. Aitor 1

HDDs

Are declining and will cease to be used for "PCs".. SSDs in maany forms will replace them.

The "PCs" of course might be phones, or tablets, or whatever format me use, but no HDD will be inside, we all know that.

Still, for backup, video recording, etc, I think it makes sense.

1. Efros

Re: HDDs

Yup, 0.5TB SSDs are now available for reasonable prices and they will be supplanting HDDs increasingly in the system storage area. For bulk long term storage where speed isn't an issue HDDs will be around for a long time, but that market is not as huge as the manufacturers would like. At some point there will be a plateauing of HDD prices and then I wonder if we'll see them beginning to rise as the market shrinks.

2. Gene Cash Silver badge

Yup. Just bought a 500GB SSD to replace a 1TB Seagate that died.

I still wouldn't buy a WD or Seagate SSD though. Those are names to stay away from if you value your data.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like