back to article Deutsche Bank's creaking IT systems nervously eyeing bins

Deutsche Bank is the latest financial institution to announce plans to rip out its creaking IT, according to reports. According to the Financial Times, John Cryan, the new boss of Deutsche Bank, is determined to overhaul the creaking computer systems that he blames for its woes. It follows a major management restructure last …

1. Your alien overlord - fear me

So Kim Hammonds goes from a 'global chief' to just a 'chief' and that's a promotion?

And, John Cryan. What's he sad about?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

She went from CIO to COO and displaced the man she reported to. COO is a board level position CIO isn't.

2. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge

Outsourcing a la SunTrust coming soon?

3. LesC
    Big Brother

Moving all of Deutsche Bank's data to the HP cloud, which, of course, is a US company with servers that may or may not be on US soil (does it matter - US company = accountable to the NSA) ???

With Merkel already having been PRISM'D, is this really wise, after all what could possibly go wrong...

1. klaxhu

LOL

do u even private cloud vs public cloud bro?

nobody will move db with customer data soon tot the cloud

1. John Riddoch

Re: LOL

If customer data is never going to the (public) cloud, Salesforce are in trouble. There are plenty companies putting customer data in the cloud, the assumption has to be they have appropriate security in place to cover it.

1. tony2heads

@John Riddoch

" the assumption has to be they have appropriate security in place to cover it"

I would ASSUME no such thing; the provider should prove to the bank and to the public that the security is rock solid. Otherwise who would trust their money in that bank?

2. Bloakey1

Re: LOL

I say old chap, I do not catch your banter.

As to the cloud, anybody that gives up their control of their data to others and all the inherent risk therein, deserve all they get.

I must make sure to close any accounts outstanding with aforementioned bank.

4. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Lots and lots and lots of HP blades running RHEL

Quite a lot of long in the tooth solaris boxen

Huge amounts of Oracle licenses

It's been "required" for at least a couple of years to deploy on the in house virtualized platform (dweb), which used to be unstable and slow, so anyone who wants their system to perform tries to get an exemption.

No live PDP11s as far as I know, but most banks still have a few VMS boxes to run Ralfe and Nolan (futures and options trading system)

5. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Vaguely related

My math teacher at uni who also taught us FORTRAN77 (I just missed having to use punch cards by 6 months) liked to tell the story of that one guy in a Deutsche Bank data centre who dropped a stack of jobs on punch cards down a flight of stairs on his way to the stack feeder/reader, swept them all up again as they were and dumed them in the feeder. Allegedly bricked the mainframe for a week.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: Vaguely related

Or at least draw some artistic patterns on the edges with a felt-tip.

6. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    WTF?

"The shift to cloud services is happening now"

This from a bank official ? A German bank official ?

So banks are now putting data in The Cloud.

Ok, it's official : this is the beginning of the end of civilisation as we know it.

1. bazza Silver badge

Re: "The shift to cloud services is happening now"

It certainly sounds like putting all one's eggs in somebody else's basket...

Having a contractual agreement on security, availability and reliability does not save your business when it breaks. It is difficult to sue your cloud provider when you have already gone bankrupt.

7. James Pond

Private Cloud...

Deutsche Bank is implementing Private Cloud - that is, a virtualization (cloudy) infrastructure that runs inside the bank's Data Centers.

1. Lars Silver badge
      Pint

Re: Private Cloud...

Why do we actually call a Private Cloud a cloud, well, perhaps I'm a bit tired in the head and in my private cloud right now.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon