back to article Apple: We're going to sell $77bn worth of iStuff this holiday season

Apple says it hopes to haul in anywhere from $75bn to $77bn (£48bn to £50bn) over the upcoming holiday shopping season. The Cupertino seller of iThings said the upcoming quarter is on pace to be its best ever, as the company predicts it will edge out last year's $74.6bn Q1 total with an estimated $75-77bn revenue haul for its …

1. Hero Protagonist

Peak Apple?

Hmm, maybe not quite yet.

1. Richard Jones 1

Re: Peak Apple?

While I will eat an apple a day, the fact that Apple's poor kit does not support what I need, note need not like the look of means I would never buy and down grade to one of their useless, (for me) bits of kit.

To be fair, I am equal opportunity, currently nothing else meets my needs, so I will stick with my old fully functional 'does what I need' mobile. Oh and it does nothing I don't need and never needs an 'upgrade' read in built fault fix.

2. Bota

I'm switching to ios from android.

Why?

Patches amigos. The price is worth it for 3+ years of support.

1. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge

Never buy a telco branded phone - they're custom OS builds that don't get updates. Buy the OEM version.

2. werdsmith Silver badge

I switched from Android to to iOS too. And I don't even like iOS much.

I went back and tried Android 2 or 3 times when new versions appeared, but always came back to iOS.

Why?

Because I call emperors new clothes on Android. It's absolute shit. iOS is also shit but just slightly less shit that it's tolerable.

I so wish a decent phone OS would come along. Not holding out much hope though.

1. Waspy

have an upvote, i agree. the market is in awe of the mediocre. the OS you seek is...BB10. It does everything you could want...except esoteric (and many not-s0-esoteric) apps. carry on as before then...

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Without knowing what he finds 'shit' about Android and iOS

You can hardly recommend BB10 to him. Besides, it sure looks like Blackberry is abandoning its OS in favor of Android, so what you think is so wonderful may not even be sold in another year or two.

3. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge

iWhat?

What's the hot iDevice? Fanatics in the Apple ecosystem probably already have the late model iPhone, iPad, Watch, or Mac that they want. Recent upgrades have been minor technical bumps and more iOS/OSX convergence - nothing to stand in line for. That leaves the Apple TV as hot a gift item, and I don't see it racking up $77,000,000,000 in sales for Q4. Maybe five or six Apple pencils will sell too.

Surely Apple will personally follow up with The Reg to provide details.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: iWhat?

Where do you get the idea that everyone already has the latest model iPhone? Cook said last summer that fewer than 20% of iPhone owners had upgraded to the 6, so there were and still are plenty of people who are still using a 5S, 5 or even older device who might upgrade to the 6S (like I did last month, from a 5)

He also said that 30% of the sales of the 6S were coming from Android users, so they are expanding their market and not just upgrading existing customers.

Apple is always conservative with their estimates, so if they think they'll do $75-$77 billion you can be sure they'll crack $80 billion.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

And some Anal(ists) will make them as a Sell

For not telling us now many watches they have (not) sold.

I have yet to see one outside an Apple Store. I went to see one and went Meh but I'm not in the market for anything on my wrist.

Clearly their sales are not confined to Fanbois alone. The level of converts from Android will get the Fandroids in a bit of a lather. Popcorn time?

5. chivo243 Silver badge

Not one cent

I won't be contributing to the $77 beeellion christmas present for Apple, sorry, no siree.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Not one cent

And we should care about your opinion ... why?

1. chivo243 Silver badge
        Headmaster

As AC you shouldn't... If you're not interested in opinions, why do you troll the comments? Slow day at the office?

But, I do use Apple products everyday, but I won't be part of the buying orgy to come.

2. Gene Cash Silver badge

Unfortunately I already have, by being stupid enough to buy an iPad.

Boy, is that damn thing locked down. Just getting my goddamned bookmarks from Linux into Safari was a 3 week ordeal. I had the Apple "genius" tell me I needed to "call Linux support and ask when they were going to support iTunes on Linux"

So basically I play hangman and solitaire on it, and it's a glorified big-screen GPS.

3. Handy Plough

That's nice.

6. johnnymotel

More Doom

Doom, Doom, Doom, I say Apple is Doomed

7. El_Fev

Whatever happened to Peak Apple????

Did you guys have anything with all the egg on your face?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Whatever happened to Peak Apple????

They've saved all their Peak Apple jokes, they'll just rerun them again down the road. After all, Apple has to actually peak for real eventually. Doesn't look like the 6 was the peak, and next year is the 7 so they should be fine there. Maybe the 7S will finally be the model that sells less than its predecessor?

8. Smoking Gun

I'm still quite happy using my iPad 2. The moment Apple release an iOS update that the hardware no longer supports it, balance will be restored, as users cry "wtf is this, why can I not install iOSv19" on my iPad 2, not remembering that this has always been the way in the Windows PC world.

And iTunes! F*^k you iTunes! And the same goes for your proprietary 50 grand adapter cables.

I like Apple stuff, I just realised you get mugged off to pay for it and you can quite perfectly do what you need to do on something else.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like