back to article DataCore pushing parallel IO, and puts the cores to work

Virtual SAN storage and data management software supplier DataCore thinks it has the answer to slow IO problems in virtualised multi-core servers – put the cores to work. DataCore reckons this sorts out a general virtualised, multi-core server IO problem and not just a storage one. It claims hypervisors, operating systems and …

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Bronek Kozicki
    Happy

haha

Good job I'm not using ESXi but free and open source kvm + qemu + libvirt, which definitely does utilize multiple threads for I/O. I can even pin them to dedicated cores, away from vCPU :)

1. Nate Amsden

Re: haha

don't really see this as an issue, vmware has demonstrated for years that the system scales well for I/O. Here is a really old white paper showing how they configured a ESXi 5.0 system to pull 1 million IOPS.

http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/1M-iops-perf-vsphere5.pdf

(for me really even if I got 1/10th of that level of performance per host on ESXi 5.5 I would be more than happy).

here's something else that is years old

http://cormachogan.com/2012/09/24/violin-memory-1-million-iops-from-a-single-vm/

"But this year, we achieved 1 million IOPs from a single Virtual Machine. And guess what storage the VM was running on? Yep, a Violin Memory Flash Array."

The use cases for even faster I/O to me seem realllllly few and far between.

A solution looking for a problem.

maybe someday kvm will be mature enough to be a good solution for me, for now it's not(I say this as a linux user for 19 years and vmware customer for 16 years).

3. LeoP

And of course ...

... never ever has anyone else thought to profile this.

Problem: This could actually be true with VMware - racks and racks of poorly utilized servers are like a money-printing machine for them.

4. Wensleydale Cheese

This analogy is flawed

" It's almost exactly equivalent to short-stroking disk drives to get a faster response from a disk drive array by having many spindles do the work at the expense of poor disk capacity utilisation."

Having used multiple spinning rust spindles myself I'd say not really, And nowadays we have SSDs which come in relatively small capacities.

And the submission form to get their paper doesn't work in Firefox.

Bah Humbug.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon