back to article Reg reader post-pub chef brews superscharf currywurst

It's agreeable to get a bit of feedback on our post-pub wobbly dining delights, and we're always keen to hear just how readers get on with our recipes. Last week, we presented for your eating pleasure the German classic currywurst, and quicker than we could say Currysoße, Sir Sham Cad reported back on his own hot pig-in-a-tube …

1. Efros

Cookbook...yeah!

Would you envisage reader contributions? I've got a few neckfillers from a variety of places around the world.

1. Lester Haines (Written by Reg staff) Gold badge

Re: Cookbook...yeah!

We welcome reader suggestions.

2. MrT

Book idea...

... yup, would love to see that come out.

Also, IT angle: an app that can take all the random contents of fridge and cupboard, then suggest what to do. Although "not getting suckered by special offers" might be a frequent answer here...

1. Commswonk

Re: Book idea...

An alternative not requiring dead trees...

Your IoT - enabled fridge can do it for you without recourse to a separate App. In real time of course, so that any change in fridge contents results in a resubmission for your next meal.

Ignore it at your peril, of course. If you do not obey your IoT fridge it will switch off completely, lock itself and report you to IoT Central for wilful disobedience. Only a grovelling apology* and a promise not to do it again will persuade IoT Central to reset your "white goods" to what you believe to be your control.

*This will require a credit card.

1. PNGuinn
        Mushroom

Re: connected fridge

The opportunities for mischief on the internet of 'fings just grew by an order of magnitude. Cracking into that option on LH's fridge could be the equivalent of the next level above thermonuclear war.

IOT - the gift that keeps on taking.

el REG - we need a really, really big bang icon now.

2. bpfh
        Go

Re: Book idea...

Books don't run out of batteries or get left in a pub with the laptop bag after a night on the sauce...

I for one would welcome a compendium by our new culinary overlords!

3. chivo243 Silver badge
    Pint

I would submit recipes

I have lots of recipes from a career in a previous life. A book of IT Pro's cooking. We work hard(I hope) and we play hard(I know) so some quick and sustaining recipe contributions from the field would be cool IMHO.

In any case, keep the PPN features coming!

4. x 7

that feedback picture looks like the stuff my son gives to his dog

1. Lars Silver badge
      Pint

And the stuff I dry to avoid when walking on the street. I do like these articles but I have not earlier understood how difficult it apparently is to take a "delicious" pic of food.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Coat

Too much contract between the bone-china plate and the impureed sauce, I'd imagine.

2. PNGuinn
      Happy

Feedback

More like the "feedback" my dog used to eat for the 3 rd time before she finally kept it down...

5. This post has been deleted by its author

6. davidp231

The Great El Reg Bakeoff?

7. Roger Kynaston

Wasn't there

a Franceshinha in there somewhere?

8. MC

You've got to do a cookbook!

If el'reg produced the "2015 Post-Pub Nosh Almanac" it would take pride of place on my bookshelf :) I actually hunted down Franceshinha on my last trip to Portugal.....

But if there's no book....please carry on....I await the online-2016 edition..

1. Marshalltown

Second that

Excellent idea and a critical component in the E. R. (El Reg that is) gear.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Although my own much quicker variant

Is simply to stir a few teaspoons of that lurid crimson supermarket tikka powder into a small dish of ketchup, with a dash of olive oil to aid the diffusion. And Bockwurst in a jar from Lidl, straight under the grill. Though I will certainly give one of these a go when I have time as they sound a lot more authentic.

Still not covered the pork gyros pitta yet though? I recently discovered some rectangular puffy pittas in UK supermarkets that are ideal.

10. JetSetJim
    Go

TV show

a) a la Ready Steady Cook:

two contestants get horrendously drunk on some themed beverage, then have to raid the "typical" fridge found in that themed part of the world with the equivalent of a bunch of condiments and assorted produce

Optional - contestants are either celebs or celeb chefs

b) a la Round the World w/ Michael Palin

travel the world getting drunk and evaluating the equivalent of the local kebab van (note: may wish to bring copious quantities of Immodium with you). Perhaps done in a Hairy Bikers style

c) a la Man Meets Food

nuff said, just make sure it's spicy and/or enormous (fnar fnar)

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

OMG!

Good heavens, I've been 'mentioned in despatches' as it were! (Blush). I genuinely would like to see a dead-tree version of El Reg's post-pub neckfiller cookbook, as I like having books that make a bit of a contrast to the bulk of 'em in my collection (which is mostly science, history, SF, and Steampunk with a couple of conventional Italian cookery books thrown in for good measure)/ And I'd really, really love to see a TV show based on same, even if as a one-off. With one special request - preferably NO extended pauses (supposedly to add but that actually kill, tension), or otherwise, ones so gratuitiously over the top that the point is made and causes Aunty Beeb to blush in shame.

I binna good girl all year, Unca Reg, Pleeeeease make it happen!

Esme (aged 5 and 8/10 * 10^1)

12. sebacoustic
    Pint

Currywurst

I'll just leave this here:

https://youtu.be/apdc2tZCpKg

My old Heimat is Germany, and a part of it that has a proud Currywurst tradition, but I must say that in terms of sausage quality, a good British banger is superior to Bratwurst. German food laws don't allow rusks etc., but lumps of connective tissue make up for it in the production process.

Now a bad banger is a different story, but I never buy those.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon