back to article Oracle's Hurd mentality: We (and one other) will own all of cloud by 2025

Two companies will own 80 per cent of the software-as-a-service market by 2025 and one of them will be Oracle, the firm's co-CEO Mark Hurd has predicted. Speaking at his keynote on the second day of Oracle OpenWorld in San Francisco, Hurd said that Oracle has spent the last five years rewriting its code base with the cloud in …

1. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Unhappy

Nope

... as if I need any more reasons to avoid the cloud a remote, unsecured server farm of obfuscated provenance.

1. zen1

Re: Nope

But Will, what could possibly go wrong?

2. bri

Re: Nope

Well, from data ownership / data security PoV of company there is no tangible difference between outsourced IT on leased HW and cloud. And as companies outsource like there's no tomorrow, such externalized IT running on someone elses HW is almost a norm today.

It's like with office buildings. Nobody actually owns an office building unless he is in the rental business, physical security is usually external hired company and we can go on and on. And physical security is THE barrier. We are past that one either, for a long time and nobody in IT wonders (which is odd, 'cause when you have physical access, you effectively own it).

In this regard cloud is only a little step further. The only question is how to use it as securely and dependably as possible, with emergency procedures, redundancy, multiple vendors and hedging in place. Business as usual.

2. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Who's he kidding?

Are Oracle going to Buy Amazon? Microsoft?

That's the only way they will get anywhere near the top.

Oracle are late to the game ... again.

3. Silviu C.

Looks like Hurd found Ellison's stash of "the good stuff".

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Let's guess...

... all running in cloudy Oracle datacenters using Sparc processors? Gotta justify the R&D bucks spent on them some-which-way. Frankly I can't see that happening as much as Oracle may desire. While we've essentially solved the data at rest security question, the data in flight mostly, we've yet to nail-gun down the data under processing problem. The initiatives I've been seeing are really greenfield which really opens up the architecture to using anything other than Oracle, especially in light of their rapacious license audit teams. Sure, Open Source may not be the best fit given TCO, but there are alternatives with better support and less headaches. That's the advantage of greenfield. Just saying as most of what I've ever done had greenfield as an option and porting over databases from one dbms to another is something I've always loved doing (insane but true).

5. Alan Sharkey

I don't think so

"Virtually all enterprise data will be in the cloud by 2025 was his fourth prediction"

Define "cloud". Does he mean on a separately owned piece of tin (e.g. Amazon) which the enterprise in question will trust all their data to? If so, Nope.

However, if he defines "cloud" as just being shared storage, probably software defined and virtualised within the company's boundaries, then yes, probably.

1. a_yank_lurker

Re: I don't think so

I think Dimbulb means with outside vendor. The cloud is mostly a semi-bogus marketing term for off-site, remote storage with another company. From a technical view, almost every business runs a cloud at some scale even if it is a completely internal server.

6. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"If the US government came calling [..] he would refuse to hand it over without a court order"

Are we supposed to be impressed ? That's a bit like a driver promising to never drive on the sidewalk.

Of course you wait for a court order, that is the normal thing to do. But if the US Gov has reason to knock on his door, it will be with a court order - or even an NSA security letter. And then you comply, citizen.

What would be impressive is if Hurd promised that regional data centers outside of the US would never hand over data to the US Government even with a court order.

Then I would take my hat off to him. As it stands ? He's just promising to do what he should be doing anyway. My hat stays on.

7. Matt Bryant Silver badge
    WTF?

ROFL!

"....Only cloud access is going to give low-cost, secure access to enterprise data....." LMAO!

8. Disgruntled of TW
    Trollface

25% and 30% stats ... from where?

Mr Hurd,

25% of production apps are CURRENTLY in the cloud.

30% of software testing is CURRENTLY in the cloud.

Where did you conjure up those statistics from? Your claims are as baseless as your statistics. Utter nonsense.

1. whiz

Re: 25% and 30% stats ... from where?

I think Hurd meant Cloud (private and public) enabled.

But then isnt everything Private cloud enabled. Except Mainframes I guess

9. Tim 11

The same strategy as microsoft.

step 1: redefine <<latest buzz word>> to be whatever we're already doing

step 2: claim we are 100% compatible with <<latest buzz word>>

I'd be interested to know what percentage of LOC has been changed to meet this "98% redone" claim. I'm guessing it's way less than 1%, and all the rest is creative accounting.

1. Naselus

Re: The same strategy as microsoft.

Now that's just not true. Oracle's go-to strategy is more like:

Step 1: deny <<latest buzzword>> is a thing until half a dozen other companies have more or less sewn up the market between them.

Step 2: realise that people are making huge amounts of money in <<latest buzzword>>, and then panic that we're not involved.

Step 3: Produce shit product as quickly as possible in the hopes of catching up, without realizing that actually <<latest buzzword>> is more complex than we thought and might need more than 1980s-level DB programming knowledge.

Step 4: Try to purchase someone who knows wtf they're doing in the space.

Step 5: Panic some more, then claim victory.

10. Steven Roper

Regardless of who owns all of cloud, they will own my data over my rotting corpse.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like