back to article Patent violation, prosecution, acquisition: pick your top open-source project

The world of open source gets the equivalent of an Oscar awards ceremony later this month when code-host SourceForge announces the winners of its second-annual vote on the community's top projects. And this year SourceForge is loosening the bow tie and letting down the hair, by inviting nominations for projects that could land …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Martin Owens

In every list

That XMCB media centre is in _every_ list it seems.

2. Kevin Bailey

most likely to be accused of patent violation, most likely to get users sued

'most likely to be accused of patent violation, most likely to get users sued'

is this for real?

Apparently it is:

http://sourceforge.net/community/cca08-finalists

As is

'Most Likely to Get Users Sued'

Has someone not noticed that MS has put down some joke nominations - and somehow they're on the list.

3. Robert Smits

Lame and lamer - only choices available

Vote for anyone? All I saw as choice were really lame projects I'd mostly never heard of - there certainly did not appear to be any way of adding your own choices. I certainly abstained from making a choice in most categories.

4. Alex Rose

@Robert Smits

Did you actually read the article? The voting is on the finalists that have been chosen from a much larger pool. If you want to nominate a project I suggest you invent a time machine.

5. Filippo Silver badge

"most likely to change the world"?

Overblown sense of importance much? They should have called this category "least unlikely to change the world".

6. Steven Knox
    Gates Halo

Not gonna happen

Mono and WINE most likely to be sued for patent violations? C'mon, who would do something like that?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

No better way to invite unwanted attention

XBMC has to be the front runner for the "Most likely to be sued" and "Most likely to get users sued" since it requires pirated Microsoft tools and illegal chipping to run on the XBox. With Microsoft sponsoring the event you have to wonder why anyone involved with, or using, XBMC would bring this sort of attention to themselves.

As far as XBMC appearing to get so many nominations, for what is otherwise a pretty low rated application, you have to suspect they stuffed the ballot box. Or given what I just noted, maybe someone really doesn't like the project very much?

8. Sigurdur
    Linux

Requires... pretty low rated.

What rock did you just crawl from under?

(Penguin cuz XBMC runs fine on Linux)

9. Nigel Kneale

Forcing the issue is *good*

Sooner or later the (US) patent timebomb is going to blow, so lets get some case law on the books to use as ammo to get the laws fixed.

10. joe90
    Thumb Up

Good choices

Some very good projects chosen as finalists.

11. Charles Manning
    Gates Horns

@No better way to invite unwanted attention

Bollocks! MS has enough weasels and lawyers to find everything they want to, plus a lot more! Remember Bill is a law school drop out, of lawyer stock.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like