back to article Snakes in the aircon, killer crocs in the river, virtualisation for apps

Just over two years ago, your correspondent finished covering the 2013 World Solar Challenge, the solar car race between the Australian cities of Darwin and Adelaide. We decided not to go again this year because twice is probably enough. But reader Scott Knights lives near Darwin, in a spot called Humpty Doo, and kindly sent …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I can relate to Scott's experience

Q: What do you miss about the UK?

A: Real ale, cod and chips, Indian food. Most beer sold here is lager chilled to the point where you can't taste it. [...] for some reason there are no decent Indian takeaways.

In my experience this is true of everywhere outside of the state capitals in Aus.

His comment about fixed wireless NBN and trees is rather worrying too. It sounds like we'll be fucked when they light up the local tower next year.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I can relate to Scott's experience

Fixed wireless not going through trees is not surprising. Not sure what band they're using, but pretty much all the microwave bands can be quite severely attenuated by vegetation.

The person in government who rubber-stamped the change probably understand next to nothing about radio propagation.

1. SoaG

Wireless internet is always a bad idea for a whole host of reasons, signal attenuation being one of the main ones. Even if you were to put up an antenna mast tall enough to clear the trees around the house, you should still expect it not to work for much of the rainy season and work poorly when it's just humid.

1. Joe User

"Even if you were to put up an antenna mast tall enough to clear the trees around the house, you should still expect it not to work for much of the rainy season and work poorly when it's just humid."

Not to mention that you just created a great lightning rod....

2. Kent Brockman

In my experience this is true of everywhere outside of the state capitals in Aus.....

No decent Indian Takeaways in the capitals either... (or at least, the bastardised UK indian versions)

having said that, there is a Thai takeaway down the road from me that is spectacular!

I DONT miss the cost of commuting - my train ride from victoria into Melbourne flinders st is pretty much the same in minutes as my old commute into Euston.. which cost me 80quid for a day return. Here, roughly 3.50 pounds return per day.

In my office the guys think i am joking when i told them my season ticket used to be around 7.5k (pounds) / $15000

1. Steven Roper

"No decent Indian Takeaways in the capitals either..."

If you're in Adelaide, Beyond India does a good arse-burning vindaloo, along with a decent range of other Indian goodies. They also do home delivery if you live within about 6 km of the city or Modbury areas for when you don't feel like going out to eat.

2. phuzz Silver badge

To be fair, commuting in the UK varies enormously depending on where you live. My last job was a 25 minute drive to cover 17 miles, and my current one is a 20 min walk.

Of course, I don't live or work in London...

2. Frederic Bloggs

For the record...

Barramundi is an excellent fish to batter, fry and serve with chips. But then I prefer haddock and chips and regard cod as tasteless, therefore my judgement may be suspect.

3. Chris Miller

Regattas

Alice (Springs) holds an annual Henley On Todd event on the (perpetually dry except for the occasional flash flood) Todd river. They race 'bottomless' craft with the crew running them up and down the dry river bed. GSOH

1. Lee T

Henley-on-todd

Ahh yes, the only reggata which is cancelled if there is water in the river :P

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Safron in Parap does take out and good curry.

Speaking as a Pom who until recently worked for one of your competitors, you can get good curry in Darwin. It's not cheap but try Safron in Parap shopping village.

Try it!

Though curry in the rural area a bit of problem.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Indian in Oz

I hear many a ex-pat Brit state that there are no decent Indian restaurants in Australia.

It's taken me years to work out why.

An English Indian curry experience is actually quite unique.

It's neither Indian NOR Australian-Indian.

Personally, I find the English curry styles to be either too sweet or too bland - in many but not all cases.

1. ScottK

Re: Indian in Oz

I have found 3 takeaways in the Darwin Area. Saffron in Parap (as mentioned by another commenter) Memories of India on Sabine Road and a place in Palmerston whose name escapes me. Memories of India is the best by a long way, but they are all absurdly expensive and don't taste as good (to me) as the food in the UK.

It is probably due to competition. Having lived in the Leeds/Bradford area where there are a lot of great Indian restaurants, the crap ones just wouldn't survive. Here, they can get away with it, due to the lack of competition.

I did find a couple of great restaurants in Brisbane.

1. oceanhippie

Re: Indian in Oz

I've not tried the one on Sabine Rd. Will have to when I get back to Darwin.

The other comentator...

Ta!

El Reg - the best for Curry Reviews.

6. Winkypop Silver badge
    Alert

Barramundi

The king of fish.

EOT

1. ScottK

Re: Barramundi

I am not saying that I don't like Barramundi, it is great grilled. It just doesn't work for me in fish and chips.

1. Winkypop Silver badge

Re: Barramundi

Fair comment.

I like it Barra as fish and chips but I much prefer 'Flake', aka: shark.

7. waggawagga

Poisonous

There is only one poisonous animal in Oz, and that is introduced. The rest are venomous.

1. Peter Simpson 1
      Thumb Up

Re: Poisonous

When I was a young 'un, we moved to Melbourne for three years. I was told to assume all snakes I saw were venomous. A belief I retain to this day. Snakes and I are happier when we are going in opposite directions.

1. Andy A

Re: Poisonous

Oz really goes in for the most venomous in every category.

The only category where they can't bid for second place as well is mammals, because they have the ONLY venomous one.

Nice scenery, nice people, nice food. It's just the wildlife that's out to get you.

8. Tipsy

"head to the Humpty Doo hotel and hang out with the locals...." You need a picture for this. Think concrete floored, Wetherspoons-lite in a depressed former steeltown without the intellectual elite you normally get....

But the beer is cold enough.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

and remember the dress code:

thongs*

stubbies

mullett

hi vis/bintang singlet

Like most other territory pubs in that respect.

Humpty Doo is a GREAT place to live, if it wasn't for the my the sailing and access to boats, its where I'd choose to live in Darwin.

* sold in Humpty Doo as "Territory Work Boots"

9. Roadcrew
    Thumb Up

...and way down in VIC

You can get a pretty good curry experience in Bendigo - the "Curry Garden" up on the first floor near The Fountain in the Bendigo CBD.

It's a pretty broad menu, with Anglo-Indian choices that please our wandering Pom palates.

There are others there, too.

Altogether some pretty good eating is available.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like