back to article 'iOS 9 ate my mobile broadband plan'

Apple is being sued over an iOS 9 feature that allegedly gobbled its way through people's monthly mobile data plans. The class-action legal challenge [PDF], filed on Friday in the US District Court in San Jose, California, alleges that Apple enabled by default a connection-boosting feature called Wi-Fi Assist that resulted in …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Only one reason...

that Apple did this to begin with.

Too many iPhones were just using Wi-Fi at home and the Telcos weren't getting enough LTE minutes to pay for the swanky phones in their sales budgets.

Now the Telco's will have plenty of minutes.

1. Charles 9

Re: Only one reason...

LTE isn't sold by the minute but by the packet, usually by GBs. Depends on the plan, really. Many plans, though, will limit your LTE usage to a certain numbre of GBs. What happens after that depends. Some charge you extra, others drop you to 3G HSPA or 2G EDGE. Some like Sprint and T-Mobile offer what would be best called "unmetered within reason" LTE plans (I'm on one).

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Always some idiot claiming a conspiracy theory. Apple is hardly cooperative with the telcos in helping them charge more, otherwise they never would have introduced iMessage which bypassed all their SMS charges.

This was just a poor decision since Apple employees probably all have unlimited data and don't know what it is like to have to worry about using too much.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

It really needs a brief description including text spelling out it may cost you money and a switch as part of the welcome screens.

2. Innocent-Bystander*

I agree here.

I think Apple's team has had the importance of a flawless user experience beaten into them so hard they are willing to forego common sense and introduce something like this.

On the other hand, it also highlights the ridiculous data plans we have in North America. I may be one of the last to be grandfathered into a straight $10/GB flex plan.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Facepalm

Having El Capitan delete all my local emails twice (the second time after an auto-applied service pack that claimed to fix a number of email issues) certainly makes me want to beat a flawless experience into a number of Apple employees.

2. Ralphe Neill

And here in Australia you can get caught in a $90/GByte excess charge plan with EFTel (yes, that's right ... ninety dollars).

1. Mike Lewis

Try $2 per MB. That's what Telstra charged me for the data on my new smartphone. I ended up with a $1,300 bill on a phone that had cost me $149. Something went wrong with registering the DataPack I purchased. Trying to get the bill cancelled took me three months of visiting their shop, writing emails and calling them. It was finally resolved when I received a phone call from them saying they were going to shut off all my phones the next day. They said the credit was in the system; they didn't know why it hadn't gone through.

I removed the SIM card from the smartphone and put it back in my old Nokia 3315.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not "allegedly"

At my work we've had several people burn through their data allowances quite quickly. They've had to get staff to switch off WiFi assist.

1. dmdev

Re: Not "allegedly"

Keep in mind, with each new release of iOS comes a slew of app updates as well, which can account for a decent portion of that bandwidth.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Android is equally annoying in this dept.

Because my work WiFi is proxied, Android won't automatically connect to it because it can't verify the Internet connection exists - presumably bypassing the proxy settings and trying a direct HTTPS connection.

When this fails, it connects to the network, displays a WiFi icon with a ! and continues to use 4G until I toggle WiFi and manually connect to the network.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Because my work WiFi is proxied, Android won't automatically connect to it because it can't verify the Internet connection exists" --AC

In some earlier versions of Android, the opposite would happen though - unless you turned WiFi off you would suddenly lose navigation in strange cities as it dropped mobile data to connect to unencrypted WiFi that wasn't really open (but had a log on screen, etc).

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"In some earlier versions of Android, the opposite would happen though - unless you turned WiFi off you would suddenly lose navigation in strange cities as it dropped mobile data to connect to unencrypted WiFi that wasn't really open (but had a log on screen, etc)." -- AC

Ah yes, I remember this too, you're right. So presumably my problem has been caused by the fix to yours. Hopefully their next fix will be to check the Internet connection using the set proxy, then we're all happy. :-)

3. Bluto Nash

As soon as I read about it, I sent an email to all of my iDoodad users to look for it and kill it. Got a number of responses that they had no idea that it even existed...

3. Gene Cash Silver badge

Myth confirmed!

On the "Still Untitled" podcast, Adam Savage mentioned this ate his family's monthly data cap in a week or so, and he had to run around turning the feature off on all the phones and tablets. He was not pleased.

On the other hand, he mentioned searching for the setting does not work, and I notice this is still broken in 9.1. For example, if you search for "assist", only the "assistive touch" feature is listed. Amusing.

4. Dan 55 Silver badge

"at home binge-watching TV from the internet on your iPhone"

In this somewhat unlikely scenario (we have a TV or tablet at home for that), Wi-Fi assist doesn't work because amongst other things, it doesn't work for apps which stream audio/video. Unless there's something wrong and it doesn't detect that.

1. Throatwarbler Mangrove Silver badge
      FAIL

Re: "at home binge-watching TV from the internet on your iPhone"

From the linked page:

"Wi-Fi Assist doesn’t activate with *some* third-party apps that stream audio or video . . ."

(Emphasis mine.)

5. Throatwarbler Mangrove Silver badge
    FAIL

Well, this explains why my wife's wireless data allotment keeps getting used up. I await the rabid fanboi justification of this feature and why it's better for iUsers if they don't know it's active.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

"This is especially true as there is no warning or disclosure when the phone switches from Wi-Fi to cellular data."

Apart from 3G/LTE replacing the WiFi signal is in the status bar...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Who pays attention to changes in their phone's status bar?

This bit me when I upgraded to iOS 9, luckily I saw it mentioned in an article a few days later so I turned it off before I'd run up my monthly data allotment. Sometimes my Wifi signal is a bit weak in my bedroom so Wifi Assist would be handy if not for the fact that I have limited data since I'm on wifi 99% of the time and browsing Facebook seems to eat data at a fantastic rate!

What I don't get is how this was not noticed during the public beta period for iOS 9. While I imagine Apple employees involved in testing would have unlimited data (or Apple pays for it and doesn't care how much they use, which is the same thing) that wouldn't be true of some of the developers and general public testing it. Did they tell Apple and were ignored or did no one notice until it went live?

I get that when they add new features they might be unused if it is left up to the users to turn them on, but they should have known this would end up costing some people money and thus the default should have been 'off'. Even those with unlimited data might not want this, if it meant hitting the point where their carrier starts to throttle their data.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Bowsing Facebook seems to eat data at a fantastic rate!

Well I have one solution you could try: Join. The. Real. World.

1. werdsmith Silver badge

Re: Bowsing Facebook seems to eat data at a fantastic rate!

There is a section under Mobile Data where you can set which apps are allowed to use WiFi and Cell data, and which apps may only use cell data.

I just switch off everything apart from a few light usage apps, so the heavy usage apps like video ones and settings may only use WiFi to connect to the internet.

I hadn't noticed the WiFi assist thing, but given my other settings, it's hasn't affected me.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Re: Bowsing Facebook seems to eat data at a fantastic rate!

True you can check only those apps you want using data. But normally I'd KNOW when I'm using data, because I'm not on wifi. So I might be using an app that I also want to be able to use on data when I'm at home, but because my wifi signal is a bit wonky at the moment due to my neighbor's signal interfering, I end up using a bunch of data without realizing it.

Maybe add a setting for allowing wifi assist, but it is easier just to turn the whole thing off because I can't really come up with a time when I'd want it. If my wifi is having problems and I really want to do whatever I was doing, I'll just turn off wifi and then I'm on LTE data, bingo.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Which IINM is hidden when you're playing back videos full-screen?

3. Velv
        FAIL

"Apart from 3G/LTE replacing the WiFi signal is in the status bar..."

Which WiFi Assist doesn't do, since the LTE is used to supplement the wifi packets so you still show as "on wifi"

1. Dan 55 Silver badge
          Stop

Screenshot indcates WiFi signal icon does change...

http://www.howtogeek.com/230056/what-is-wi-fi-assist-and-how-do-you-turn-it-off/

4. jonathanb Silver badge

The status bar isn't visible if you are watching video in full screen mode.

5. This post has been deleted by its author

6. ratfox

"The suit seeks unspecified damages in excess of $5m."

So little? Apple could save a lot of time and just pay it right away.

7. Chika
    Devil

Hey Microsoft!

Are you reading this? Heh...

8. Mage Silver badge

Idiotic

How on earth did anyone think this was a sensible default?

9. dmdev

Doesn't pass the smell test

So iOS 9 has been out for just over a month and it's already consumed 5m in excess bandwidth? I don't think so. Also, if you read up on the conditions when it's actually used, it makes the excess claim even more dubious.

100% of the customers would already have to be using ~90% of their allowed bandwidth every month for this to push them over to excess charges. And even then would the amount add up to 5m?

That being said, it does make sense to set it off as a default.

1. Velv
      Boffin

Re: Doesn't pass the smell test

Burned through 2GB at £15 payg in a week for me. With over 100 million iOS9 capable devices in the wild I'd suggest $5m is on the low side of what could have been used.

1. dmdev

Re: Doesn't pass the smell test

Ok. Since you have real data, I'm curious, what is the sum of all your (less than 100MB) app updates that were downloaded after you updated to iOS 9? Those were downloadable over cellular regardless, before WiFi assist.

You can also check if the App Store is using cellular updates by going to Settings -> iTunes & App Stores -> Use Cellular Data

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

iWankers

Using their iTwats - locked in to the iBellend devices.

LOL

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: iWankers

Grow up.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I don't have a 'cellular' setting..

Damn, all that noise and I can't play with it, mine says "Mobile Data" and does not have that "WiFi Assist" feature. It's an EU phone, so maybe this is only to annoy US customers?

1. A Non e-mouse Silver badge

Re: I don't have a 'cellular' setting..

it's only iOS9, but is under Mobile Data. Scroll to the bottom - RIGHT to the bottom, below the listing of all the apps. Just where you'd expect to find a toggle switch like that....

1. John Robson Silver badge

This - the toggle should be at the TOP - with all the other monile data options.

Why would it be so far "below the fold"?

It's an idiotic design decision...

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

it's only iOS9, but is under Mobile Data. Scroll to the bottom - RIGHT to the bottom, below the listing of all the apps. Just where you'd expect to find a toggle switch like that....

Got it. Christ, that IS bad. It's not an issue for me as I live in a country with mainly unlimited plans (the difference in plans lies in the speed you get), but abroad this could have been annoying.

What on Earth made them come up with such a bad idea?

2. rob miller

ah. not on the 4s : http://ios9news.net/no-wifi-assist-iphone-4s/

12. tfewster
    Facepalm

O2 in the UK are on the ball

I got a text warning me about the issue, and how to switch it off.

However, I'm not on IOS 9, so I don't have that problem (or that switch).

I DO have a switch to tell it not to Use Cellular Data to download updates either. Which it decided to ignore this month. How old is my version of IOS? Let's just say I decided not to update to crapple maps or Fisher-Price icons.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: O2 in the UK are on the ball

Not much of an issue for O2 as their 4G service is so poor.

1. werdsmith Silver badge

O2 4G has surprised me so far this year, popping up everywhere I go with max strength.

1. nichomach

I'm on GiffGaff, so O2-by-stealth, and 4G pops up a lot for me too.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

I Live in South West London and I'm sometimes lucky to get 3G with O2...

13. tabman

No warning from phone?

I don't have an iPhone nor do the people I live with so I have a question. Doesn't the iPhone warn you when you are burning through your data quickly?

My phone has a built in app which keeps track of what you have used, how you are using it (which app is using exactly how much data) and when the data cap is refreshed. It even allows me to restrict data use either when I get near my limit or all the time. The info is pretty unmissable and details exactly how much I have left and for how long.

If the iPhone doesn't have this baked into iOS, are there not free apps that would do this for you or even premium apps that would do even more?

14. peter_dtm
    Mushroom

Are you listening MS ?

Posted in reply to Are You Listening Microsoft - somewhere up page from here ..

I hope so - because their stupid Win7 wireless behaviour burnt through my 2G allowance on one device in 2 days (1 GB each day) because the stupid %^&*(^ thing slected my Wireless Hotpot over the local WiFi signal.

And; it takes a ^&*$"£$$ reboot to make the 'preferance' control take effect. Not that it tells you this of course - it just looks as though it worked. But by then at least I knew I had to monitor my Wireless connection in Windows AND double check on the iThings. Who know how much of my company data plan I chewed - fortunately I don't see that bill...

2GB on one device (100% of months data in 2 days ); I found out what was happening when it had chewed another 2GB of my phone's hotspot - that was 4GB in 5 days

Gee thanks MS for making it so obvious that the default wifi connection is totally bloody random; unless you happen to chance on the wireless preferance page - which then doesn't work until after a reboot - at least the ithnings (at least mine do) change the wifi indicator when wifi assist kicks in

1. John Robson Silver badge

Re: Are you listening MS ?

You leave the tethering on by default?

Why?

2. This post has been deleted by its author

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ah diddums

It is just a love-in between the customers, Apple and most of the networks.

Enjoy!

16. Perry the platypus

Why would I want this

Ok, so I'm paying my cell phone company and I'm paying my broadband company.

Why would I want to pay my cellphone company to use MY broadband bandwidth which I pay for to reduce their cost of their network. Isn't that stealing ? This option only makes sense if I get to make these calls without paying the cellphone company. Why do I want to pay two companies for the same service ?

1. Paw Bokenfohr

Re: Why would I want this

I think you've misunderstood the feature. This feature is not WiFi calling. This is a feature that watches the "quality" of your WiFi signal and switches you over to "Cellular" when it thinks that WiFi isn't cutting it, just like your phone already does now, when it goes out of range of your WiFi, just that now, it'll make that decision earlier - when the signal strength or data throughput of your WiFi connection drops below a real-world-usable threshold.

17. Nameless Faceless Computer User

As usual

Doesn't surprise me. Increasingly, computers are given more authority to download updates by themselves and perform maintenance when they should be "sleeping," Apple defines 16 tasks the Mac does during a "power nap."

I've heard horror stories from people who traveled on a cruise ship and were charged over a thousand dollars for data usage.

18. Sceptic Tank Silver badge
    Stop

Bad Apples

This is nothing new. Let's increase the claim to $7.5m and I'll join the suit with those other two people.

I kept running out of data every month after only two weeks on iOS6 and could not figure out where it was going. Helpful call center person at the telco told me to check the phone's backup settings. Turns out this helpful phone was backing up photo's, chats, and what not without me knowing. My pictures are not Pulitzer Prize material. The world - and I - will live on even if I lose all my pics. Would be nicer if I could still use Whatsapp and surf the net from the bathroom after the middle of the month.

Fsck me ... I live in a country where bandwidth is expensive.

(I'll sit down now... Steam is pouring from my ears and tears are running down my knees)

19. Nick 26

Easy fix is to turn off mobile data for hungry apps

I was hitting my data limit before WiFi-assist.

I went with the strategy of turning off mobile data for every app I had installed.

I then turned it back on as and when I first needed it.

I haven't hit my data cap since, not even with WiFi-assist and haven't noticed any loss of functionality.

iOS gives you the information about how much data different apps are using right in the settings,

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like