back to article California enormo-quake prediction: Cracks form between US boffins

NASA and the US Geological Survey (USGS) experts are arguing over the likelihood of a major earthquake hitting southern California in the near future. The debate began earlier this week when eggheads at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL) posted a study suggesting that the chances of an earthquake magnitude five or greater …

1. Ragequit
    Devil

15 percent...

While 15% is significant from a scientific perspective I'm going to go out on a limb here and say the bottom line - California will have earthquakes in the near future. Hmmm.. that's never happened before...

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Re: 15 percent...

It's like stockmarket crashes....

NO-ONE COULD HAVE PREDICTED!!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

> "California will have earthquakes in the near future. "

You got that right. I grew up in an LA suburb, and I can attest that anyone who lives around LA for more than a few years will become quite familiar with quakes. In 1971 I was shaken out of bed by a 6.7 roller with the epicenter only 10 miles away. I've experienced three more since then, one felt at a distance of 300 miles, which slightly injured my mother who was close to it.

A threat of a mere 5.0 is normally not that scary to Angelenos. Nearly every structure is stick-built, and so can wobble a lot without collapsing. However, the La Habra area is old and full of unsafe buildings. It's also centrally located and much of it is on soft sediment that's prone to liquification. That area might not be much fun after a 5.0.

1. Youngone Silver badge

I live at the bottom end of the Pacific Ring of Fire, where we live with these things also. There were two 4-ish quakes this morning.

In 2011 we had a 6.7 in Christchurch, and they're still rebuilding (and will be for years and years).

The thing that worries me is the fact that Auckland is built on about 50 volcanoes, the youngest of which is only 600 years old. We are overdue for another forming, but there's not much point spending my life worrying about things that happen over geological time scales.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rangitoto_Island

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

In 2011 we had a 6.7 in Christchurch, and they're still rebuilding (and will be for years and years).

Of course the magnitude of an earthquake doesn't tell you much about how much damage it will cause. Distance (depth and from the epicenter), ground composition, building construction, etc...

In the case of Christchurch, if memory serves, there were a lot of aftershocks and there was severe ground liquefaction. It's not surprising there was widespread destruction.

2. Eddy Ito
    Holmes

To quote the late great Yogi Berra "It's deja vu all over again"

Or would a "Back to the Future" reference be in order?

3. Number6

Here in the Bay Area, we don't get out of bed for anything less than a six these days – West Coast Ed

It would probably take one that powerful to wake me up, I think I've been asleep for most of the recent smaller ones, even the Napa quake didn't wake me.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Is this thread the Californian equivalent of the Four Yorkshiremen sketch?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Windows

Very astute observation. Californians have a habit of discussing past earthquakes in a rather offhand manner, kinda like war stories told in a pub.

2. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

I was in South San Francisco during the Napa quake and you practically had to peel me off the ceiling. I live on a nice, stable craton for a reason.

4. a_yank_lurker

The US west coast is probably due a real big one (>7) in mid term so about 50 years. The only question is where it hits. Also, a real scary thought is the New Madrid fault along the Mississippi. It likes to let loose a whopper every few hundred years (last 1811/1812). The buildings in the New Madrid fault zone are not built to withstand a major shake (St Louis, Memphis)

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

Relative sizes of quakes

The San Andreas can't provide much more than 7 because it moves too freely - and as has been pointed out, californians are pretty much prepared.

Cascadia on the other hand could easily be bigger than 8.5 when it goes, with the accompanying tsunami taking out most of the coastline between California and Vancouver Island. Populations in the pacific northwest are woefully unprepared.

New Madrid's last triple shudder were 8.1-8.3 apiece - powerful enough for the rollers to set church bells ringing in Boston. It's a long way from the centre of North America to the coast. It's about due to pop again and has the potential to destroy the USA as an economic power.

5. Mpeler
    Mushroom

More dodgy models

With NASA predicting "climate doom", and now JPL predicting earthquake doom, it looks like California is what's for dinner: Shake and Bake...

Time to fire up the BBQ --------------------------------------------------------------------------^^^^

Mushroom

Re: More dodgy models

Today's news say that what is for dinner is pointless brinkmanship with Russia in Syria (I didn't get we have a manadate to unilaterally impose no-fly zones in Syria, but so a superpower has its rights), possibly followed by a fat nuclear exchange.

Better order a new "duck and cover" instruction set at amazon.

6. Elf
    Coat

The Editor has it right: I grew up in SiliValley ... a 6.0 is just enough to spark a wake up followed by the thought: "The hell? ... Oh, one of thozzzzzzzz." Less jarring than my actual alarm clock.

Now a good 7.5 or so provides some quality entertainment.

7. martinusher Silver badge

Anything under a six is an aftershock

Although an earthquake of 5.5 can do significant damage such damage will be localized. It will certainly not be a 'end of world as we know it' event. Once you're into the sixes then things get interesting.

The Richter scale is exponential so 5 -> 6 -> 7 means changes of orders of magnitude in the amount of energy released. What that energy does depends on where the epicenter is and how deep it is.

(Incidentally, if you want a bit of end of world speculation.....I was in Romania earlier this year. Nice place but I was surprised on leaving to learn that the bit east of the Carpathians (that includes places like Bucharest and Ploesti) is as seismically active as California. You wouldn't have thought it from looking at the way houses are built and how stuff wasn't tied down inside them (you notice this sort of thing if you're a Californian). Since they seem to get a major quake every 30 years, regular as clockwork, they're a bit overdue for one about now.)

8. Number6

Forget the San Andreas...

Of more interest is the big subduction fault off the coast of Oregon and Washington. That seems to let rip with an 8+ every 250 years or so, the last one being in the early 1700s before the Europeans arrived there... The subsequent tsunami is likely to flood everything west of I-5.

1. DanceMan
      Alert

Re: Forget the San Andreas...

January 26, 1700 at 9 something in the evening, to be more precise. So -- middle of winter, at night.

Apparently the average time between the quakes here off BC and Washington is about 300 years. We're due. And it hasn't escaped me that every part of the Ring of Fire, NZ, Japan, Chile, California, has had one in the last decade or less. all but us.

I'm in Vancouver, living on a rocky hill and curious how this geology will react in a quake. I expect my house to slide downhill somewhat. Richmond, river delta at the mouth of the Fraser River, rich farmland in my childhood and now covered in homes, warehouses and even some highrises, is in big trouble.

Only 85% likelihood you say, not 99%. Well, nothing to worry about.

2. Rich 11

The subsequent tsunami is likely to flood everything west of I-5.

It's too early in the morning. I can tell because I first read that as 'I-95'.

1. Tom 7

I remember seeing some ghost forest in Oregon that was killed by a Tsunami from the fault going up there. From 1700 - thats only 300 years ago and there was 2' of sand a couple of miles inland.

Hated having a Dad who showed you this shit rather than take you to Disneybollx but it stops you investing in sea side property!

1. jake Silver badge

@Tom 7 (was:Re: Forget the San Andreas...)

The San Andreas is a strike-slip fault. It does not produce tsunamis.

The so-called "ghost forest" in Oregon was PROBABLY caused by a rather large hunk of one of the Hawai'ian Islands slipping into the Pacific, displacing a massive quantity of water.

Hey, East Coast ... Have you noticed that the Azores are quite likely to cause a similar issue, and fairly soon, at least in geological time?

When, not if.

1. Eddy Ito

Re: @Tom 7 (was:Forget the San Andreas...)

The southern portions of the East Coast would likely be washed over quite far in but toward the north it would be more like Sandy with only the very coast taking the brunt of it as the terrain rises pretty quickly as you move inland.

Just think, if we get lucky Congress will be in session.

2. AceRimmer

The Ghost Forest was created by the land slipping down into the sea - most likely caused by local tectonic activity.

The trees were killed off by salt water and the bottom few feet preserved by mud and sand whilst the tops rotted away.

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

"The Ghost Forest was created by the land slipping down into the sea - most likely caused by local tectonic activity."

This is normal for subduction faults. Look at what happened in 1964 in Alaska. Some areas slumped by several metres during the quake as the land slipped back to "normal" position after decades of being compressed and uplifted by the pacific plate pushing under it.

1. jake Silver badge

@Alan Brown (was:Re@Tom 7(was:Forget the San Andreas...))

"This is normal for subduction faults."

Unfortunately for your scenario, the subduction is UNDER North America, thus raising the coast-line. The tsunami (probably from a largish bit of Hawai'i slipping into the ocean) flooded out the low–lying forest on the Oregon Coast. The glaciers melting at the end of the last ice-age brought the water level up a trifle.

Oregon's Cascadia subduction zone fault system is not Alaska's, even though they are connected.

1. AceRimmer

Re: @Alan Brown (was:Re@Tom 7(was:Forget the San Andreas...))

"Unfortunately for your scenario, the subduction is UNDER North America, thus raising the coast-line"

The coast line is pushed up and then chunks of it will slip down again - it's not a constant upwards movement only the long term average is up. Gravity is always acting on any rocks thrust upwards

3. Number6

Re: @jake (was:Forget the San Andreas...)

I wasn't talking about the San Andreas, I was looking further north for the big quake and tsunami.

I think the Hayward Fault is building up to something in the near future (noting that 'near' in geological terms is a bit imprecise). San Ramon just had a quake swarm, and the Hayward itself has had a couple of little warm-up events. With the Napa quake relieving a bit of stress in the system to the north, it's got to be pretty tense down around the East Bay geology.

1. jake Silver badge

Re: @jake (was:Forget the San Andreas...)

"I think the Hayward Fault is building up to something in the near future (noting that 'near' in geological terms is a bit imprecise). San Ramon just had a quake swarm, and the Hayward itself has had a couple of little warm-up events."

That little shit just rattles the nerves of people without a clue. In all honesty, it's actually a strain-relief, there will probably not be a major quake there any time soon.

"With the Napa quake relieving a bit of stress in the system to the north"

Actually, that was the "American Canyon" quake, news media notwithstanding.

" it's got to be pretty tense down around the East Bay geology."

Nah. That's all been slipping & relieving pressure for the last 40 years. The Rogers Creek fault hasn't shifted in about a hundred.

When, not if.

3. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

The subsequent tsunami is likely to flood everything west of I-5.

GOOD!

disgruntled_cat.jpg

4. jake Silver badge

@ Number6 (Was: Re: Forget the San Andreas...)

"The subsequent tsunami is likely to flood everything west of I-5."

If enough water gets past the very narrow Golden Gate and the couple of ranges between the coast and the central valley to even GET to I5, I rather suspect that even Auburn will get flooded out. Remember, I5 is in a rather flat valley. Its road-bed is no barrier to anything.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Henry!

It's only 14.9% difference, take down that Schramm and put the mini nuke back in store, nobody is going to give you a hard time if it doesn't happen.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Goodbye California

I remember a book written in the 70's by (I think) Alistair MacLean called Goodbye California. At one point there is a discussion about earthquakes in California (the book is set in that state) and one of the characters says (paraphrasing slightly here since I'm going by memory):

If our civilisation disappears and is replaced by another in a thousand years, then they will speak of Los Angeles in much the same way as we speak of Atlantis. It is not a case of if, but only a case when.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Goodbye California

I think they will speak of LA as the way we speak about Sodom and Gomorrah; places that needed a good smiting "because their sin is very grievous".

Start counting the righteous men there folks .. are you up to 50?

1. Paul Crawford Silver badge

Oh lick my salty wife!!!!

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Only if you post a photo and a clean bill of health.

11. Paul Kinsler

historical observations from England in November 1755

just because I think it's interesting:

"An Extraordinary and Surprising Agitation of the Waters, though without Any Perceptible Motion of the Earth, Having Been Observed in Various Parts of This Island, Both Maritime and Inland, on the Same Day, and Chiefly about the Time, That the More Violent Commotions of Both Earth and Waters so Extensively Affected Many Very Distant Parts of the Globe; The Following Accounts, Relating to the Former, Have Been Transmitted to the Society; In Which are Specified the Times and Places When and Where They Happened "

http://rstl.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/49/351

doi:10.1098/rstl.1755.0059

Nowadays they'd just say "OMG!" on twitter

12. James 36

hmm

please can someone convert the risk to micromorts ?

13. jake Silver badge

NASA should stick to what they are good at.

The USGS exists for a reason.

As for:

"A 6.0 quake occurring last year in the San Francisco Bay Area's Napa region killed one person, injured about 200, trashed the area's vineyards, and shook tens of thousands of people out of bed over a wide distance."

The vineyards were not trashed. Not a one of them. At all. No grapes damaged. Really.

My take on that quake: http://forums.theregister.co.uk/forum/containing/2279808

The REAL "next big one" here in California will be on the Rogers Creek Fault, not a thousand yards from my left elbow as I type.

When, not if is the mantra around here. We think we are ready for it here at Chez jake. Only time will tell :-)

Holmes

Re: NASA should stick to what they are good at.

So if you feel a little pain in the left elbow, it might not only be artritis?

1. Mpeler
        Paris Hilton

Re: NASA should stick to what they are good at.

"...and then of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left hand side..."

(Only the good die young; the rest diode)...

14. John Sturdy
    Devil

Predicting one is safer than predicting safety

Predicting one is clearly the safer option, especially in as litigious a country as the USA. Remember L'Aquila?

15. Howard Hanek
    Happy

It's Not Their 'Fault'

The dichotomy in opinion reflects the conflict between science and mysticism; something California experiences daily on a variety of topics. It could be the rampant substance abuse is my best guess. Building an advanced civilization upon a geologically unstable location has been going on since the Minoans. I wonder if they were on drugs too?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: It's Not Their 'Fault'

> "Building an advanced civilization upon a geologically unstable location has been going on since the Minoans."

I wonder if there's a connexion. Note that the "cradle" of western civilization, the fertile crescent, is riven by active faults, as is the Aegean Sea and coastal China, all primary centers of early civilization. Could an occasional tremblor serve to 'shake up' people in a positive way?

> Implying that the US is any sort an advanced civilization.

2. jake Silver badge

"Could an occasional tremblor serve to 'shake up' people in a positive way?"

Quite possibly.

BTW, that's "temblor".

16. G R Goslin

Phew!!

"The Los Angeles area remains the second-largest metro area in the US and, in addition to the film and television industries, technology giants including SpaceX, IBM, and Google maintain offices around LA employing thousands of workers. ®"

Offices! Well, that's a relief. It's not as if it was going to hit anywhere important!

17. rdhood

Not an issue to argue over....

Anytime a theory or prediction can be proven or dis-proven by actual observation, why argue? Respectfully disagree, and then wait! We are only looking at a few months.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like