back to article We SC what you did there, Mikey: Dell emits top-end array, hyper-converged boxes

Dell has launched a flagship SC9000 Compellent array plus a more powerful XC hyper-converged system. It comes just days after Michael Dell launched a bid to buy EMC, which involves overlapping VNX array and ScaleIO hyper-converged products. The SC9000 is the fourth product in the dual-controller, Fiber Channel-accessed SC …

1. Tom 64

5Ghz x86?

I wonder what they are using there. AFAIK the only 5Ghz x86 on the market is an AMD enthusiast desktop chip, and it doesnt have 6 cores.

1. seven of five
      Joke

Re: 5Ghz x86?

two cores @2.5GHz

simples.

edit: where do they mention the 5GHz anyway?

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

It's in the pic titled "SC8000 and SC9000 comparison points".

The CPU cores are noted 2 x 5GHz 6 core and 8 core x86.

So yeah, that's wierd. I thought 4GHz was the current max CPU frequency.

Edit : Ok, AMD has some 5GHz enthusiast models with 8 cores. I doubt anybody would put that in a blade server, though.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Ok, AMD has some 5GHz enthusiast models with 8 cores. I doubt anybody would put that in a blade server, though.

If it works why not or have far too many people drunk the Inter koolaide that Intel is the only processor for servers?

1. Gigabob

gigabob@comcast.net

As an enterprise customer I doubt AMD will be around to honor the 5 year service contracts we demand.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

SC FC/iSCSI

Wish when SC gets mentioned the focus is not always that its FC Storage cause that is just not true, SC's are brilliant at iSCSI and used to have five of them all on 10Gb iSCSI and worked a treat. I guess with EqualLogic being targeted at iSCSI there is a bit of a shadow with SC and iSCSI.

3. Man Mountain

An array that can scale to 3PB but can only hit 385k IOPS is hitting a bottleneck pretty early somewhere. Hard to see how something with that performance can claim to be for the 'largest storage environments'?

1. Skpin

Not really. 3PB is based on a all NL SAS or multi tier config including large capacity NL SAS deives. Even if you calculate performance based on 960x600GB 15K drives you will see approx 450TB usable plus 170K BE iops. So the 385K is a pretty good number, not getting saturated even when you fully populate the system with fastest spinning drives available today. You will certainly need SSDs to push the number to 385K under 1ms latency.

4. thegreatsatan

DOA

With the impending EMC merger EQL/SC are both toast and I would not bet on Dell doing anything else to keep these platforms alive and kicking.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: DOA

your supposition is not based on fact.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: DOA

Dell kept - and continues to keep - alive Equallogic, despite acquiring Compellent several years ago. They just released new versions of EQL hardware and firmware - which are solid.

I don't expect that Dell will make any rash or short-term decisions on this sort of thing; customers are too important and installed bases matter. And CML and EQL have really large and loyal customer bases.

DISCLOSURE: I consult in the selling of Dell and other storage products.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like