back to article Windows Mobile 10 nears point of no return

A fresh version of Windows Mobile 10 has wobbled off Redmond's servers, and landed on devices enrolled in the Windows Insider programme. There are no major surprises in Build 10549, which is an incremental update. It remains a mishmash of UI styles and experiments, and rebuilt apps that fall far short of the functionality of …

1. Anonymous Custard
    Joke

Redmond calling...

Cue meetings, and more meetings, at Redmond.

What, no Lync video conferences about it?

2. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Devil

I can't wait for the update

They say Windows 10 is more-or-less the same on all platforms. Does that mean when you turn the phone on there'll be a big button in the middle of the screen labelled 'Get Windows 10 Now' and until you press that button you won't be able to get the launcher?

3. Ilsa Loving
    Thumb Down

I can't imagine why

Lync is one of the single worst communication systems I have ever seen. The UI is painful, it has no way of doing message store-and-forward if the recipient is unavailable, history gets lost, no syncing of convos between multiple devices (in fact, if you're signed in multiple times, you have to check ALL your devices to find out which one got the message), and all file transfer and streaming services are completely broken on the mac version.

I wouldn't use Lync if it was available for free, never mind willingly paying money for it.

1. David 132 Silver badge
      FAIL

Re: I can't imagine why

The UI is painful

Ooh, ooh...I got one...

Don't forget to mention the modal dialog that helpfully informs you that "your organisation does not allow Lync access from outside the network". Yes, I know, you fecker, that'd be because I have just resumed from sleep and the OS hasn't reconnected yet. But thanks for giving me a great big blocking dialog pointing out the obvious, that I now have to close before I can continue. Because closing the dialog once connectivity's established 5 seconds later would be too convenient.

Totally agree with you. Hateful app.

2. joed

I would not call it bad but 2013+ UI got worse, the metro style worse: bland and painfully flat (and MS keeps preaching this). Try to grab/drag the window and you may get lucky (if you figured out the active part of the window). And it lags, feels almost as if the UI was rendered remotely, somewhere in MS cloud - really odd when IM text barely keeps up with you typing it.

And the app seems to have bad habit of locking out user account.

Still better than IE.

3. Sarev

I agree on every point. I thought Skype's UI had got bad over the years but Skype for Business (i.e. not Skype) is a car crash.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Windows

Epic Fail

The mail app crashes out on showing HTML emails. That's right, MSFT can't even write a mail app in 2015 and with access to the source-code of Acompli

1. glussier

Re: Epic Fail

I'm testing Windows 10 mobile build 10549 on a Nokia Lumia 625 and on a Lumia 830 and there are no problem with html emails, at lest none that I could see.

1. Mike Taylor

Re: Epic Fail

No problem on my 1520 either. I rather like the ui changes

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

All this

Lync, Skype et-al shit is purely because some fuckstick decided to kill messenger. At what level of numbnuttedness do you decide to kill a perfectly good, functional service like messenger and then fuck it all up with Skype and lync...

MS really are reaping what they have sown....

1. cambsukguy

Re: All this

I only used Lync a bit while at some place somewhere, seemed fine but I was hardly a power user.

The thing is, if MS share price is twice what it was 5 years ago and 6% above what it was a month ago (FWIW which is not much), then do they care? - someone, somewhere (and others) appear to be perfectly happy with what they are doing and (presumably) where they are going.

I would like to see Skype improved in terms of speed and responsiveness but I don't use it enough to worry - I do know that messages appear on all the devices (3 in my case) running it.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Facepalm

Re: All this

I wonder who is rocking in their chair after the Facebook IPO, when they realise how many "eyes" and emails and accounts and users they had in Messenger before they killed it.

If they had floated it as a separate company? Now would it have made a killing?

6. WillbeIT
    Pirate

Lets face it

Everyone ends up resorting to Hangouts for vidcons anyway because it seems to be the only one that works consistently.been on skype for years and now skype for business (the ap formerly known as Lync and formally formally known as messenger) ... it sucks balls

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Unified apps...

unified Spam...

unified Ads.

8. zanto
    Facepalm

Email client

Hoping they fix the font size in the email client when you view an email in landscape mode hoping to see more words in the same row of text.

Its a shame that small things like these make a fluid and rather beautiful os look clunky on my 1520.

9. This post has been deleted by its author

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like