back to article How do you create an SLA and status page for the whole internet? Meet IANA: Keepers of DNS

When control of the internet's naming and numbering systems is handed over by the US government to domain system overseer ICANN, there will be one big change: it will be subject to a service level agreement drawn up by the internet community. ICANN's IANA department runs the world's DNS, IP address allocation, and other tasks …

1. John Robson Silver badge

Root hints...

...file is even smaller and more useful - although the root key is also useful at that point.

I've *never* had to use the root zone file - because root hints gets me to that information without having to update it any time elbonia decide to update something...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Root hints...

You use the root zone every time you look up a domain name on the Internet. You might not have to copy the entire file (although I often recommend people mirror the root zone into their resolver), but if your computer did not (ultimately) have access to the root zone, you wouldn't be able to look up anything.

1. John Robson Silver badge

Re: Root hints...

It only has access to the root servers, they have access to the root zone, and tell me the "next step" DNS server to contact.

I don't use the root zone *file* at all - that's the job of the root servers, which are accessed via the root hints file (which is very rarely updated - and usually changes have at least a six month lead time, so you can reasonably update once every six months.)

2. Your alien overlord - fear me

Wow, obviuosly didn't consult Google earth for that map, France above the UK, Australia on the same latitude as America. No wonder the internet is in chaos today.

3. Gordon 10
    Mushroom

So glad I don't have to write the test plan for that bad boy.

4. DJV Silver badge
    Thumb Up

"but things have changed so much since"

Yep, Jon Postel would now need a bigger sheet of paper if he was still with us!

5. channel extended
    Boffin

What is a SLA?

Is this a Service Level Archi. or Slow Long Article? The standard is that the FIRST time you use an acronym the full description goes next to it, either before or after. The writer is now shown to be a jargon pusher, no real understanding of how to communicate. This makes the value of his work less.

BTW I have a RTM of FUD left over for anyone who wants a NDP or DFA to use as a HTL.

1. lambda_beta
      Linux

Re: What is a SLA?

I thought that the RTM of FUD was now GHY of KLU. In the same sense that the SERT is OPM. LOL I've SDE in vain. Do not EWQ my CZX anymore, since all the DVBV are OIPM.

6. Yes Me Silver badge
    Happy

Thanks...

...for a piece of objective reporting. btw the IETF already has a long-standing SLA with IANA and it works well.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like