back to article FAA issues lithium battery warning

The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has warned US airline passengers not to pack spare lithium batteries in their checked baggage. The advisory covers "spare lithium metal and spare rechargeable lithium ion batteries for personal electronics such as cameras, cell phones, laptop computers, tablets, watches, calculators, …

1. AndyS

Why only uninstalled, spare batteries? I would have thought there would be more risk from installed batteries (as in the case mentioned, and all cases I've ever seen of melting/exploding laptop and phone batteries).

For once, this actually seems to be sensible advice.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@AndyS

Why only uninstalled, spare batteries?

Well, considering the huge number of devices that come fitted with non-removable batteries, the only option would be preventing passengers taking them altogether.

I doubt that would go down too well!

1. Anonymous Custard

Re: @AndyS

I would expect it's the risk of exposed terminals getting shorted together and causing an overcurrent heating and/or a spark. Batteries in devices don't have that risk, as terminals aren't available for contact (or comment).

Having said all of that it seems the FAA (again) are behind the curve - the European authorities have mandated no batteries in hold luggage for ages - it's on all the warning signs at airport check-in (the one that says you can't take guns, knives and various other stuff in the hold that the check-in operative always points you at and asks if you've read it) and has been for ages.

2. AndyS

Re: @AndyS

@AC, the ban is only on hold luggage, so the non-removable battery devices (phones & tablets) would be fine in cabin baggage, where a fire-extinguisher can be used on them if needed.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Some devices have thermal protection on the device side

A lot of devices have done "cost savings" putting most of the protection circuitry on the device side. In addition to that, it is less likely to short circuit when inside the device (unless the device packs up).

So on the overall, a battery in the device is safer than a battery carried separately.

2. Charles Smith

Dreamliner + Lithium batteries?

Will the FAA demand the removal of Lithium batteries from the Boeing Dreamliner?

1. wolfetone Silver badge

Re: Dreamliner + Lithium batteries?

No, the batteries will have to be part of the pilots' hand luggage.

3. Wommit

The card machine was used THAT much????

1. Unicornpiss
      Meh

Re..

I thought it was just your credit card that was smoking after paying for something on an airline, not the POS terminal...

4. Known Hero
    Meh

umm...

Please ensure you carry all explosive items on your person when boarding the plane, No you may not have metal cutlery.

I am getting mixed signals.

1. petur

Re: umm...

Actually, I had metal cutlery on my recent flights with Emirates.

(and no, the food wasn't that hard, it was actually pretty good too)

2. moonrakin

Metal cutlery ...?

Iberia

Air France

SAS

and several others have no problem with metal cutlery in coach... being a long haul peon don't know about up front - but suspect 1st class NEVER have plastic cutlery....

Now if they put USB power/charging on all seats ....

The 787 Lithium story and more

1. Anonymous Custard

You can have metal cutlery, it's just the knife can't be any sharper than the spoon.

Hence it's interesting (as well as exorbitantly expensive) to try and get a steak that you can actually cut up air-side at an airport these days.

2. Stevie

Re: cutlery in first class

When I was upgraded to business class on Air Canada (ta very much, AC) I ate my roast unicorn entree with orichalcum cutlery.

3. Bucky 2

Actually, I was wondering what would happen if said battery had more than one ounce of electrolyte.

5. MotionCompensation

EE power bar?

So, is the EE Power bar an uninstalled spare battery? I don't think it can be installed as a replacement battery.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: EE power bar?

"This also includes external battery chargers (portable rechargers) containing a lithium ion battery. "

Guess it covers your case.

6. Missing Semicolon Silver badge
    Alert

Lipos for cheap.

How to the numerous Ebay traders shipping helecopter lipos from Shenzen do it then?

1. small and stupid

Re: Lipos for cheap.

below a certain lithium content they are ok to fly.

or they are lying bastards,

1. Anonymous Custard

Given how long delivery takes sometimes, probably by boat.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Which is the kind of transport compulsory for many hazardous goods.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Some shipments are cleeared to fly on cargo planes only, as long as they follow some packing rules, and are within allowed specs. Otherwise they can't use air shipping. See for example UPS rules for shipping Li-Ion batteries.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

That's what the article's saying. They don't want lithium batteries stored in an inaccessible place, is all. If shipping air cargo, the shippers can take precautions by putting the lithium stuff on top (so it can be reached easily) and keeping extra fire equipment on hand (in case something happens).

Lithium's spontaneous combustion risk highlights it as a "Special Handling Needed."

3. 100113.1537

I just had a delay on a new 'phone being shipped from China. Was told the package was not approved in airline cargo with Li battery, but the "alternative route" came via Dutch post and the speed it arrived (following the on-line tracking) suggests it must have been a flight. I am left with the feeling that some airlines are getting into a spin, while others are more relaxed.

Oh yes, the 'phone battery was included inside the phone, but with the plastic isolator film still attached - how does this qualify? Is it a spare or not?

7. Stevie

Bah!

So I can take lithium batteries on by the caseful, but not a bottle of shampoo or my beloved Swiss Army Knife?

Got it.

1. Charles 9

Re: Bah!

The shampoo bottle is quite fine checked (just keep it in a plastic bag as a precaution). As for the knife, that depends. Those that would allow it prefer you keep it checked (the concern is you taking it out and using it, which you can't if it's checked).

1. Stevie

Re: not getting it, charles9

What part of "cabin baggage" was lost on you?

1. Charles 9

Does it have to be cabin baggage, though, is what I'm noting?

1. Stevie

Spare (uninstalled) lithium ion and lithium metal batteries must be carried in carry-on baggage only. When a carry-on bag is checked at the gate or at planeside, all spare lithium batteries must be removed from the bag and kept with the passenger in the aircraft cabin. The battery terminals must be protected from short circuit."

So yes.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I thought the ban was on any Lithium-type battery being in the cargo hold no matter the configuration given the concern was over spontaneous combustion which can occur whether the battery is connected or not.

9. Eddy Ito
    Paris Hilton

spare lithium metal and spare rechargeable lithium ion batteries for personal electronics...

I had to read that twice as on the first go I was wondering if lithium metal was a new fashion thing. A replacement for tin foil hats perhaps. Don't mind me, I was having a Paris moment.

10. JeffyPoooh
    Pint

Gadgets...

On our most recent big trip, a 15+ hour flight leg over the North Pole, I literally pulled out a power bar and plugged it into the 100watt AC outlet on the seat. Me and the two kids then connected all our gadgets as required. A Flight Attendant gave it a good stare, but them smiled in comprehension with the three happy campers. No issue.

All gadgets and batteries are in the carry-on bag, of course. Don't want them stolen or lost.

11. ecofeco Silver badge

Yep

At my company, we now have to send an MSDS along with any laptops we send to our various offices.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like