back to article BLABBERGEDDON BEGINS! Twitter lays off 8% of its workforce

Twitter has confirmed that it will cut loose more than 300 employees as the profitless company attempts to claw back costs and push for user growth on the struggling site. The firm, whose old CEO Jack Dorsey returned to run Twitter last week, said in a US Securities and Exchange Commission regulatory filing that – as a result …

1. mythicalduck

4000 employees?

What does a 150-character message board need 4000 employees for?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: 4000 employees?

"What does a 150-character message board need 4000 employees for?"

Never underestimate the number of workers required to thoroughly fleece the punters. How many have Microsoft got ?

1. Naselus

"Never underestimate the number of workers required to thoroughly fleece the punters. "

What has thoroughly fleecing ANYONE got to do with Twitter? They'd actually make money from time to time if they were capable of that.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Fleecing venture capitalists?

Well I couldn't keep a straight face pitching Twitter to someone.

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Fleecing venture capitalists?

No, they made their money back when it went public.

I can imagine some money being spent to get the feed by some media companies thinking it constitutes public opinion (it is opinion that is public but that is not the same thing) but that wouldn't be more than a couple of million a quarter.

But who the fuck is paying for sponsored tweets?

2. Vince

There's a considerable difference - Microsoft makes a huge number of products (some of which you'd never have heard of as they're for very specific markets and purposes), what exactly does Twitter do that's so broad?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"They're for very specific markets and purposes), what exactly does Twitter do that's so broad?"

What ?!

2. Jim 59

What does a 150-character message board need 4000 employees for?

Nothing if it is just hosting 10 users and receiving 3 posts a day. But to have a billion people logged in and reading, and 1 million tweeting every minute, requires a monster infrastructure. Which needs a monster datacentre. Which needs a monster company. Which needs a monster HR dept, a monster office, a monster... see where I am going.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A one trick pony heading for the knackers yard, soon to reappear in your local Tesco marked up as minced beef.

1. mark 177

"A one trick pony heading for the knackers yard, soon to reappear in your local Tesco marked up as minced beef."

I do hope so. I'm sick of every BBC web article being punctuated by tweets from posing prats...sorry, I mean "pundits".

3. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

So?

The New Boss (Same as the old boss) is in line to get how much bonus this year? $27M perhaps?

Now that would be .... I'm sure that you can fill in the gaps

4. Your alien overlord - fear me

P45 by Twitter anyone? Beats getting it by SMS.

5. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Windows

RSS feed that lets you post replies

I've never understood why it's worth so much. Can anybody explain?

1. sandman

Re: RSS feed that lets you post replies

No

1. John 104

No different than facebook. Shitty interfaced blab blog worth billions. I just don't get it. I have yet to see a polished interface for any of these social media sites.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

That's because you can't polish a turd.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Business plan for twitter

"So, we're going to do something you can already do (messaging), but with only 140 characters (or whatever)".

"Also you have to view it in almost real time, there is basically no historical aspect to this like email or facebook or etc"

"and you can't send pictures" (until later iterations of it).

"and did i mention there is no income stream imaginable for it".

.... where do i sign up? let me give you millions.

Twitter is for people who just can't distinguish something useful from something they are told they must like.... kind of like fashion really.

Like Take That & Justin Beiber, i will be happy to see the end of it... pointless waste of time in so many ways (Justin Milley Cirrus's transgender twin Bieber is not over yet? Thats news to me).

7. asdf

lol

> reported revenue of $502m and a net loss for Q2 of $136.66m.

Wow that is some former Apple executive running a brick and mortar numbers right there.

8. Jay 2

Much as I find Twitter useful from time to time, but obligatory ads/sponsoring aside I have no idea how it's meant to make any money. So this sort of thing isn't a surprise. And it's only going to get worse as all those suckers, sorry, investors, demand some return...

1. Jim 59

The same is true for an alarming number of large internet companies.

Eg Snapchat. Their business model consists of coaxing large investment groups to bung them every few months so they can go on, well, messing about with computers for a bit. The service is impressive, it just doesn't make any money.

The register makes a bigger profit than Snapchat and Twitter put together.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like