back to article So how does an SQL background help you survive 2.5 years as a hostage?

If you’ve ever wondered how you’d cope under the sort of pressure that can crack the hardest of military nuts you’ll want to get along to our final lecture of 2015 on December 1. That’s because long-time Reg reader Peter Moore will be telling us how he went to the office one day in 2007 to work on a finance system for the …

1. Bob H

Been down that road before.

Or read the original article part one and part two.

2. Tikimon
    Thumb Up

"Carbine Williams" comes to mind

Keeping one's mind off the misery by working out tough design problems, and emerging with a new invention.

Granted, Williams was rightfully imprisoned for murder, but you get the idea.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

'... handed just an Xbox for entertainment'.

What, no TV? that is harsh.

4. Paul Hovnanian Silver badge
    Joke

Poor guy

Stuck on a 2.5 year MongoDB project.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

bring on the downvotes

Guzzling that government pork if he was working in Iraq in 2007. A well know job risk priced in that just happened to bite him in the butt. Sympathy low.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I do get a bit fed up...

... with hearing people who willingly and knowlingly went to work in dangerous war zones usually for an exceptionally fat salary, then go on and look for sympathy about something nasty happening to them.

If you're in the military you don't get a choice where you're sent - if you're a civilian you do. So if you're the latter and you do go and work somewhere dangerous and something unfortunate does happen whether its in Iraq or Afghanistan or Somalia etc then please , just keep it to yourself, no one cares. You took the gamble and lost. End.

Yes mod me down for not emoting and empathising like a little girl as we're all supposed to do these days , but thats my opinion.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I do get a bit fed up...

A few corrections.

>If you're in the military you don't get a choice where you're sent

No but you do have a choice to join at least in the US. Granted though its the hardest job in the world and hardly a lucrative economic choice. More sympathy from me and they actually do an amazing job of not getting their asses caught considering how few actually do wind up POWs these days.

>something unfortunate does happen whether its in Iraq or Afghanistan or Somalia etc then please , just keep it to yourself, no one cares

If only that was true. All too often these people including even the do gooder non profit types end up giving our enemies a strong propaganda or financial win. They are often doing a lot more harm than good to the public they come from.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like