back to article Bungling Bonn burglar locks himself into house

A 43-year-old German burglar demonstrated a notable lack of skill with locks during an attempted robbery in the city of Bonn last Saturday, according to local cops. The unnamed perp first attempted to enter his target property through the front door. Having failed to open that, he jumped the back garden fence and gained access …

1. Robin

Well...

What a nnoB!

2. Alan J. Wylie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CENtEwMLKlg

Video of a burglar breaking into a mobile phone shop and getting trapped

3. Your alien overlord - fear me

Bonn voyage to your freedom !!!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

due to a faulty lock, he became trapped inside

sue them, I say! Distress, loss of income, double loss of income due to time spent in jail, loss of professional reputation due to worldwide media reporting. Also jointly with the owner, regarding safety (think what would happen in case of fire?!)

That said, it's Germany, cough...

1. AndyS

Re: due to a faulty lock, he became trapped inside

That said, it's Germany, cough...

Just as well the showers were faulty too then, right?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: due to a faulty lock, he became trapped inside

"sue them, I say!"

Oh, shut up. That reminds me of a case a few years ago when a burglar entered a house through the basement and was just trying to open the door to the ground floor when the houseowner, who was raised by the ruckus, opened that door to look what all the noise was about. The burglar fell down the stairs and broke his arm. He subsequently successfully sued the houseowner for damages (filing suit for grievous bodily harm, making the houseowner a registered criminal!) and loss of income, while still in jail for the burglary. That's German courts for you.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

He was lucky his phone worked

Imagine if the house owners had been away for a few weeks...

6. Dr. Mouse

Self-imprisonment

I have to say that, in modern society, I would not be surprised if he tried to sue for this.

However, it calls to mind a story my housemate told me. He was working at a fairly secure warehouse.

One evening, the manager received a call from the security company informing him that someone had broken in to the warehouse. He fired up the remote surveilance cameras, noted the burglars had come in through a sky light, and recognised where they were. He told the security company not to bother attending the scene, and he would be there at 7 in the morning to resolve the issue.

For the next half an hour, hilarity ensued in the warehouse, as the "burglars" discovered they were locked in a security cage. They tried to break through it, break the locks, and climb back up the rope, all to no avail. After this, they were seen yelling at each other for their stupidity. Once they had tired themselves out, all three sat on the floor.

In the morning, the manager arranged for the police to meet him there. He opened up and went to the cage they were held in. As he unlocked the door, the three lads filed out, not saying a word or looking anyone in the eye, straight into the waiting police van, in front of the onlooking crowd (many of them laughing because they knew what had happened) just turning up to start work for the day.

7. Someone Else Silver badge
    FAIL

Disorganized crime

--->

That is all.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Only in Limerick

Some burglars were trying to get into a warehouse in Limerick, via the roof. The private security company guarding the warehouse, Kelly Security, turned up, and the burglars recognized them, and called the Gardaí to give themselves up.

Please note that, according to Mr Kelly's brother as related to the Limerick Leader, "My brother Michael and his security company never collected a pound a house from any house and there is no way under the sun that he ever broke anyone's leg connected to security,"

1. I. Aproveofitspendingonspecificprojects

Re: Only in Limerick

How many did he securely disconnect

9. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

And here's another

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-34495543

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like