back to article SanDisk, HP take on Micron and Intel’s faster-than-flash XPoint

HP and SanDisk are joining forces to combat the Intel/Micron 3D XPoint memory threat, and developing their own Storage-Class Memory (SCM) technology. SCM is persistent memory that runs at DRAM or near-DRAM speed but is less costly, enabling in-memory computing without any overhead of writing to slower persistent data storage …

1. PleebSmash
    Paris Hilton

first thoughts

Crossbar is looking dead in the water.

HP will finally get to build The Machine... in 3 years maybe.

What happens to HP and Hynix?

1. Mellon

Re: first thoughts

SanDisk is a better partner for HP than Hynix. It's pretty certain that byte addressable NVM like XPoint/PCM/ReRam will cannibalize DRAM sales before ramping to the point where it is cost-competitive for bulk storage. Hynix was always going to slow-play anything that threatens DRAM.

That said ReRAM is a long way from mass production.

2. ntevanza

Summary of this article for the busy reader

Nothing happened.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Summary of this article for the busy reader

Or for windows 10 users - something happened.

3. chris 17 Silver badge

so volatile and non volatile memory will be merged into one, adding more memory will just be a case of adding more memory, not the choice of RAM or Disk as we have today.

interesting times

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Mr Fink is taking on the world with words. Whats a wordsworth?

5. Snowy Silver badge
    Mushroom

but will it cheaper

6. Ian Michael Gumby
    Flame

Reg fail... too many frozen slurpees causing a brain freeze?

"HP will contribute its Memristor technology and expertise, while SanDisk will provide non-volatile ReRAM memory technology, not that we knew it had any, and manufacturing and design expertise."

How soon does El Reg forget the whole lawsuit ? google Diablo Netlist lawsuit...

Not really much of a flame, but using similar packaging and most of the device drivers should help get a product to market faster than not. Assuming you have similar densities to competitors... you could probably fit 1 to 2 TB per DIMM slot. (My estimates)

7. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Smells like

This all reminds of standard "preempt the other guy's tech with our super-duper not quite-ready-for-prime-time tech Available-Real-Soon-Now." Microsoft holding a nasty record here. Cisco too.

tap_snooze_bar(TRUE);

1. asdf

Re: Smells like

Memristor being the Duke Nukem of memory technologies is hardly some secret at this point, more vaporware pronouncements or not. Also HP today hardly scares anyone in their tracks like Microsoft and Cisco did in their heydays. They only seem to be good at major cull of employees and board dysfunction.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Facepalm

Re: Smells like

Obviously I'm not a candidate to afford first gen whatever shows up but I'd still like to nail down fuzzily costs. With the right cost structure, damn it, I'd like to experiment with chucking DRAM and external storage for nodes.... Okay, I'm drooling now.

8. Six_Degrees

Looks like a lot of hand-waving so far. Let me know when production samples actually start shipping.

9. Bcraig

Well....

http://www.crn.com/news/storage/300079140/netapp-to-make-1-2-billion-bid-for-solidfire-sources.htm?utm_content=bufferbcf3d&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like