back to article Blighty flings £4m to help n00b games devs level up

The United Kingdom has found £4m (US$6.1m AUD$8.4m) to “boost the UK’s growing video games industry”. The new “Video Games Prototype Fund” will hand out cash grants to developers through the newly-formed UK Games Fund that aims to “create jobs, promote diverse new teams, enhance skills and increase the amount of new games IPs …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What're the odds on...

All the money going to Lily Cole?

2. Tim Worstal

Free money for games development?

Here's the list of 15 games I have ready to roll.....

1. Fibbles

Just submit an earlier version of your engine, claim the grant to 'finish' it, then go on a research trip to the Bahamas.

1. Frumious Bandersnatch

Funny you should say that, but the killer feature of my new game will be photorealistic palm trees and physically-accurate sand dunes. You say junket, I say vital research.

3. Elmer Phud

£4 mil?

Just where will £4mil go these days?

£3mil on promoting the £4mil?

1. GrumpyOldBloke

Re: £4 mil?

£2M to connected friends on the understanding that £1M comes back as political donations.

£1M on promotion and screening applications

£0.75M to politically decorative entrepreneurs, props for photo ops.

£0.25M left for anyone who might manage an ROI to justify this largesse.

The remainder to taxpayers struggling to make day to day expenses.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Windows

So, perhaps £1.25M will actually go to support the development of.... mobile casual advergames?

I can't imagine why any genuine upstart game programmer would bother applying for a chance to receive the dregs of this largesse with strings attached. It'll be established marketing-oriented 'developers' seeking to pad their bottom lines with public money as their revenue dries up.

Don't quit your day jobs, noobs.

1. Fibbles

Adverts are old school. It's all about the in app purcha...

View the rest of this post for only £0.69!

1. mark.d

You missed the Service Handling Fee, and then the added VAT on top, so that will be £1.31

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What is a new and diverse team

And how is it only £25,000?

I mean, I know people in the industry are paid bottom dollar but still seems a bit on the low side for a team...

1. DropBear
      Trollface

Maybe they calculated how many people can you feed for how many days with all the Ramen you can buy for that and went from there...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It started out as £40 Million

But they spaffed it all on Ad Men and Spin Doctors trying to decide how to let people know about it...

6. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

So the multi-billion pound games industry...

...needs a helping hand.

7. This post has been deleted by its author

8. Zmodem

unreal engine 4 is free until a game sells 2000 copies or so, and is the best around that using directx, which run global make some unreal compititions for uni students etc even now and then

splash damage in kent are hippies and give mentoring etc

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like