back to article China cuffs hackers at US request to stave off sanctions

Hacking suspects have been arrested in China by the nation's authorities at the behest of the US government for the first time, The Washington Post reports. The unprecedented arrests took place in early September – shortly before Chinese President Xi Jinping's state visit to Washington – and appeared aimed at providing a show …

1. Quortney Fortensplibe
    WTF?

China Now?

"...Hacking suspects have been arrested in China by the nation's authorities at the behest of the US government for the first time..."

Is anyone, anywhere ever going to stand up to those yankee bastards and just tell them to fuck off?

1. Mark 85
      Meh

Re: China Now?

Not in this case... it's pure eyewash for the masses. They say they've made arrests and the US is happy now and will not do any sanctions. Of course, these aren't the ones who did the deed to OPM or any other big profile attack. But hey.... the media will be dutifully informed and they will inform the populace and all will be well.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Now?!

You're oddly poorly informed, unobservant or a paid liar. I really don't care if you're one of those three or simply the avatar of all village idiots throughout the universe.

The PRC has repeatedly been reported for their hacking, *every* news outlet on the plant, well, outside of the PRC has reported on that and especially reported on APT1.

I'll not even go into the RBN moving into a bigger office space, slapping on a new decal and replacing their computers.

I've refrained and will continue to refrain from looking into US and UK cyberespionage, it's likely intensive, but not for intellectual property and more geared toward counter-cyberespionage and the more typical military intelligence gathering.

Such as one PRC cyber group, who was a thorn in the side of the US government, with emphasis on the US DoD. A gaffe of one individual left PII, server information and shortly thereafter, server contents of the next several attacks.

And no, no further information will be discussed on that. I have no desire to find a new design drone swoop down, pick me up and deliver me to Earth's L5 point.

1. mhenriday
          Thumb Down

«I've refrained and will continue to refrain from looking into US and UK cyberespionage, it's likely intensive, but not for intellectual property and more geared toward counter-cyberespionage and the more typical military intelligence gathering.» Perhaps, «Anonymous Coward», you should do your homework before posting ; the US has engaged and continues to engage in extensive industrial and commercial espionage. But I understand quite well why you've refrained and will continue to refrain from « looking into US and UK cyberespionage» and why you choose to post as an anonymous coward....

Henri

2. frank ly

Logically ...?

What they are accused of doing can't be illegal in China because the Chinese authorities would have arrested the entire PLA unit if it was. Have I misunderstood something?

1. Ken Hagan Gold badge

Re: Logically ...?

It does seem to put PLA rank and file in an awkward position: they can either obey orders and get arrested by the US authorities or disobey orders and get arrested by the local authorities.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

It does seem to put PLA rank and file in an awkward position

As in the West, a few script kiddies get arrested (and this being China and a public relations exercise, receive draconian sentences), but the real industrial scale hacking by state-sponsored bodies will continue unabated. The Chinese are about as likely to arrest the PLA outfits as the British are to arrest GCHQ.

In the case of the British, GCHQ have paperwork signed by the Foreign Secretary giving them blanket immunity for carrying out certain classes of extremely serious breaches of the law in countries with which the UK has extradition treaties. Doubtless the PLA have the same sort of thing but are just a bit better at keeping it secret than the British.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Doubtless the PLA have the same sort of thing but are just a bit better at keeping it secret than the British."

And everyone better at keeping anything secret than the Yanks.

3. Scoular

Are the Chinese just doing to others as has been done unto them?

No country can really honestly stand tall and claim the moral high ground although a few will try.

4. DanceMan

It may be a sign of good will, but I suspect the net result will be like bailing out a hole full of water when the water table is at ground level -- just fills up again.

5. Your alien overlord - fear me

Probably just rounded up a bunch of death row prisoners and told them to play the part or else their families would join them. That's how they operate.

6. RedneckMother
    FAIL

Yawn

Yet more theatre. Let's find something INTERESTING to talk about, eh?

No, I'm not Canadian (eh?).

7. RedneckMother

East vs West

Once, there was a farmer who had a plow horse. The horse had an extremely long and matted mane.

Every spring, the farmer would hook up his horse, and plow his fields.

But, birds would alight on the horse's neck, seeking hair with which to build their nests. The birds made the horse jump about, resulting some VERY crooked rows.

The farmer made some comments about the situation in the local feed and seed store. The proprietor suggested that he sprinkle brewer's yeast on the horse's mane.

As the brewer's yeast was inexpensive, and being desperate, the farmer did so.

The birds ceased to annoy the horse, and the farmer was able to plow straight rows.

When he next visited the store, he made mention of the success of the technique. The proprietor said, "Well, everyone knows that yeast is yeast, and nest is nest, and never the mane shall tweet."

1. 404
      Facepalm

Re: East vs West

Your story was bad and you should feel bad.

Door-> That way. Don't bother with your coat...

1. RedneckMother

Re: East vs West

@404

Thank you! My mother taught me that the most sincere appreciation of a pun is a loud sigh or groan.

I grew up telling really bad puns, just to get her reaction.

8. Graham Marsden
    Meh

Scapegoats have been arrested in China by the nation's authorities

FTFY.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like