back to article AWS jabs at rivals, proclaims cloud the 'new normal'

"This is not intended to be a sales and marketing conference, it’s really intended to be an education and training conference," said Amazon Web Services (AWS) Senior VP Andy Jassy at the keynote for Reinvent under way in Las Vegas. Yet marketing dominated his keynote as he jabbed at competitors. The truth is, AWS does have an …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

To be fair, there is very little real competition for AWS. Azure is close on features but still far enough away that they may never catch up. Nobody else I'm aware of is even in the same ballpark, and most are not even real clouds according to the NIST definition (which I happen to agree with).

As for a local cloud stack, pretty much nobody needs one. The juice isn't worth the squeeze to get the automation up and running, you simply don't get sufficient benefit unless you're in the one percent who genuinely have a reason why public cloud can't be used. Realistically, DevOps and HPC are the main use-cases for any type of cloud, and those are far simpler done on AWS so people tend to do so. Why would Amazon bother with a local cloud stack? Microsoft only did it to fill a marketing hole, and in a few years everyone will realise Azure is a better idea than trying to recreate Azure locally.

Anon because our major "cloud" vendors are not Amazon :)

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well...

AWS is pounding its chest while looking over its shoulder anxiously. The competition-free run is over and Microsoft, Google, IBM, HP, VMWare, Oracle, Salesforce, Alibaba, a litany of phone line vendors and a smattering of others are going to eat right on into its market share. It's only a matter of time. They are the legacy behemoth that is now in the unenviable position of not being able to move that fast with infrastructure changes, where those that came a little later may have taken some time to figure out how to accommodate rapid change. We'll see how long they can keep it going in the face of serious and growing competition. Oh, and their "hybrid story" is exactly that - a story - and it sucks.

1. Lusty

Re: Well...

Only one of those you mention is actually real competition to AWS. Most of them don't even offer a real cloud service (seriously, look up NIST). Hybrid cloud is almost pure marketecture and doesn't work at all in the real world as you'd expect or hope. You have used a cloud service I hope and not just commenting based on marketing blurbs you've read (which is how your post reads to someone with experience)?

3. dan1980

"This is not intended to be a sales and marketing conference, it’s really intended to be an education and training conference,"

Indeed, and I agree: it's a conference to 'educate' and 'train' people on why Favor-Aid is great and why their flavour is the best of all.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like