back to article Apple releases Mac OS X 10.4.10

Apple has posted Mac OS X 10.4.10, the first palindromic - well, sort of - version number to be applied to its Unix-based operating system. The update includes fixes and tweaks for both Intel- and PowerPC-based Macs. What's it do? Apple is as terse as ever, but the patch incorporates bug fixes for the OS' Bluetooth software …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Beware!

Please be careful, as there are quite a few reports of problems with this particular update.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1005263&tstart=0

I certainly won't be applying it for a while, to see how the dust settles.

</cliff>

2. Chad H.

Its not Palendromic!!

Palindromic would be 10.4.01.... Which would be silly.

3. Matthew Macdonald-Wallace

No it's not...

A Palindrome reads the same from left to right:

AnnA

HannaH

so nerrr... :o)

4. chuckufarley Silver badge

You call that a Palindrome?

Sorry guys,

10.4.10 is not a proper palindrome.

"Satan, oscillate my metallic sonatas."

Now that is a proper palindrome.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Palindromic MacOS

The Wikipedia site shows the release history of MacOS is full of palindromes, what's so exciting about this one, which isn't?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_history

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

NO!

A palindrome it isn't.

It's a bit like saying something is "almost unique". It's either unique or it's not.

No wonder Apple don't invite El Reg to their shows!

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

yes, it's a palindrome

Come on, you're all computer people, you should know this.

It's a palindrome at the token level, not the character level. Or another way to look at it, it's a palindrome if the numbers are taken in hexadecimal: A.4.A.

English palindromes have a very similar problem, which we just blithely ignore. The example given, "Satan, oscillate my metallic sonatas.", is not a palindrome because of different spacing, punctuation and capitalization. What, you say it is? Then you should accept the token-level version number palindrome.

The poster who cites Wikipedia showing the release history "full of palindromes" is only partly correct. There are a bunch of early versions like "3.3", but these are barely palindromes. "6.0.6" is the only previous 3-element example, and it was never actually released.

8. FerretOfDoom

It's a lot easier...

...than Apple's previous cryptic updates.

For example...

System 7.5.2 got you 7.5.2. But, System 7.5 Update 2.0 got you System 7.5.3. And they weren't cumulative. It was much uglier back then.

9. Ritch Ames

This update has seriously shafted my Mac Mini

Always do the Software Updates on my Mac's, never again.. a 5 month old Mac Mini is in a right state after this update - there is no other reason than the latest security update. I've read all the forums on the subject and have yet to find a fix. The thing won't start up, the fan is working hard enough to cool Metallica's drummer mid set, and when I force it to start up, the finder freezes.

Not impressed.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like