back to article Yahoo! opens search to all

Yahoo! said yesterday it will open up access to external developers to its search engine, something Google did six years ago. Developers will get access to an API allowing them to run versions of Yahoo!'s search engine on their own websites. Yahoo! will sell adverts on any applications that attract users. The hope is that …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

People still use Yahoo?

The only reason I use Yahoo is because they snaffled Flickr and I've got a paid-for subscription (which I won't be renewing).

Can't *stand* Yahoo.

2. Tim Spence

I! thought! Yahoo!...

...were just an email provider? They do *search* too?

3. amanfromMars Silver badge
    Alien

Yahoo! enter the Race 42 Control Virtual Space?

Now that was a SMART move by Jerry. Bravo, Mr Yang.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wow

As people above have said, I too had no idea you could Google for things you were looking for with Yahoo...

5. glenn

@Anonymous Coward

Yes people do still use yahoo! when they don't want reams and reams of search results that are pure shite.

I still use Yahoo! if i want a more concise set of search results, and Google for more wide ranging searches where i am willing to trawl the endless pages of irrelevant to find what i need.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Surely...

it should be Yahoo! Opens! Search! To! All!

There are some low standards that should be maintained just assiduously as high ones. :)

Paris... because by all accounts a search of her is also open to all.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

"Pure shite"

"Yes people do still use yahoo! when they don't want reams and reams of search results that are pure shite."

Actually, that's funny - that's the reason why I *stopped* using Yahoo.

8. Matthew LaShure
    Pirate

YaWho!?

I figured this company signed there death notice when they refused the Buyout from M$

9. drunk.smile
    Happy

@glenn

This is because nobody bothers to register their sites with yahoo anymore.

Less sites, less shite.

10. Stan

nice one

Way to go, let MS 'embrace open source' if they want the search business so badly. A lot of negative comments on yahoo here, true they are well and truly second place to google for general search but a lot of their services are very popular, like groups and finance for instance. If they can keep up standards and stop the bloat creeping into their sites then they will be a big name on the net for a long time to come. Again, way to go Mr. Yang, sticking it to MS will only improve yahoo's reputation.

11. Celtic Ferret
    Boffin

Scroogle scraper

Pretty much gave up on Yahoo! when they acquired Claria's "database that should have been destroyed."

Here's a good read:

What Microsoft wants from Yahoo

http://www.techuser.net/microsoft-yahoo.html

See also

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Claria_Corporation#Rise_of_the_dreaded_undead.21

But if you actually want to find something your best bet hands-down IMHO is

http://www.scroogle.org/

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like