back to article Avast antivirus hole patched after public Project Zero slap

Google Project Zero hacker Tavis Ormandy has found a since-patched vulnerability in Avast antivirus that allows attackers to gain remote code execution privileges. Ormandy says the man-in-the-middle diddle Avast uses to conduct encrypted traffic analysis as it hits browsers is insecure, thanks to bad X.509 certificate parsing …

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

the Google Project Zero asset.

Is that like a web site but with extra gravitas?

2. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge
    Coat

It's things like these which invokes nostalgia for the good old days of DOS, Win3.1 and OS/2 - and when antivirus solutions did their job properly.

Maybe it is high time to make something like a Psion Organizer which cannot be hacked that easily.... or, failing that, just fall back to the good old pen/pencil and paper...

Getting my jacket, I'm leaving for the pub!

3. JCitizen
    Pint

I wondered..

when my favorite AV company would finally slip up!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I wondered..

Avast slipped up a long time ago. I've been using them on and off since the 90's and since a few years ago when they were hijacked by a hedge fund and managed by a former Symantec suit they've most definitely plummeted. I stopped using them entirely about 18 months ago, they've become a dreadful product and company, it's a great pity but it's how it really is, unfortunately.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like