back to article Google .supplies .cheap web .properties with 90 top-level .domains to .world via .partners

Fresh from an embarrassing glitch in its system that saw an ex-employee seemingly register Google.com, the search giant is now selling domain names with 90 top-level domains to choose from – such as .business, .world and .gripe. What is missing from that list, however, are any of the 40+ top-level domains that Google owns and …

1. -tim
    Thumb Down

More land on the wrong side of the tracks

Since I'm only getting spam and ads from these new domains, they get added to my own dns server so they point nowhere. Once they go in, they are unlikely to ever be removed. I know plenty of people who are doing the same thing.

2. John Lilburne

Can we have a list of the 90 TLDs so that we know to avoid any website using them. If its Google related we know it is databases are going to be mined and scrambled over by the Google ad networks, the NSA and GCHQ regardless of the website owner. It won;t be as if we can avoid it by rejecting DoubleClick and Google Analytic trackers, it will be right there on the Google servers.

1. Nigel 11

It makes very little difference where a domain is purchased from or where its top-level domain servers are located. All DNS does, is resolve a name into an IP address and vice versa. OK, you do have to trust that if you tell Google to resolve wan.gle to 123.45.6.78, it actually does that, rather than resolve to some other address running an imitation service or "wrapping" yours. But there's no mechanism to hide any incorrect resolving, so that's unlikely. There's far more mileage in subverted Cisco (and other) switches.

Once the name is resolved to an IP address, the server with that address can be anywhere on the internet: the US, the EU, Russia, Tuvalu, Antarctica .... and the NSA will probably know how to get into it wherever it might be!

3. Vic

Not available outside the US...

You need a billing address in the States to use it.

Vic.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like