back to article Chocolate Factory plops Marshmallow on Android slabs

Google has posted the Android 6.0 Marshmallow update for its Nexus devices. The Chocolate Factory said on Monday that the Nexus 5, 6, and 7 (2013 model) and the Nexus 9 and Nexus Player will all be getting Marshmallow as an over-the-air update. The upcoming Nexus 5X and 6P will also ship with Marshmallow pre-installed, and …

1. Your alien overlord - fear me

Battery life now sucks on my Nexus 5, 83% and it reckons 3 hours left. So I'm downloading the AOSP so I don't have the Google bloatware draining the battery, even when wifi is off.

Unimpressed so far (2 hours in to marshmallow)

1. big_D Silver badge

Maybe it needs to recalibrate the battery after the upgrade. I'm guessing it wil last a lot longer than 3 hours, once it has finished "upgrading" and settled into normal use... (And no, I'm not an Android fan, I use a Lumia 1020).

Yep, it lost 2% overnight and now reckons it'll last 3 days (still woefully below the 14+ days AOSP lollipop claimed if I didn't actually use the phone as, well, a phone)

Well, compiled AOSP 6, installed and under the sme conditions as Google Android, battery indicator says 21 days battery life left. Google bloatware drains the battery.

2. g e

My S3 / S4 did that

Factory reset put the battery life back to 2.5 days of my normal usage compared to the 1 day it had dropped to.

Just reinstalled the apps I actually used. big improvement for a fairly small inconvenience

2. Nate Amsden

keep it

Until mobile folk give an easy way to roll back major upgrades id prefer to get such upgrades only when i buy a new device. Too much shit breaks. Give me security updates only on a given major version please yes I'm willing to pay.

In the meantime i must be vigilant and keep wifi off most of the time to prevent my phone from auto upgrading to android 5.

I recently rolled back an upgrade to samsung s health because the new ver could not do landscape mode and yet lost the last 18 months of data. Yay.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: keep it

Unless something radical has charged with this update, a Nexus doesn't auto-update the operating system - it asks for permission first.

3. Chris Gray 1
    Meh

Optional security - bah!

To quote the article: "Apps designed for Android Marshmallow only ask for a permission at the time it's needed to use a feature,"

That's not what most people want. They want the new levels of permissions to be forced onto all apps, including old ones. So, Google has left it up to the app developer as to whether or not they want to be bound by new app permission restrictions. Sigh.

I guess it does leave open the possibility for Google to withdraw the old API's at some point in the future, so all apps will need to use the new Marshmallow+ API's.

1. big_D Silver badge

Re: Optional security - bah!

Yes, some way of looking at the app in settings and setting a switch for each permission to on or off. No game needs my contact list, call list, location etc. for example.

1. Christopher Reeve's Horse

I'm sure I won't be the first person to have mentioned it, but Cyanogenmod features Privacy Guard which allows detailed permissions blocking per app.

2. MrWibble

New apps will ask when used. Older apps can still be denied permission (system>apps), but it comes with a warning that it may crash the app.

4. Pen-y-gors

Old Nexus 7?

Interesting that they've left out the older Nexus 7s - ever since it 'upgraded' to Lolipop mine has run like a dog, so I think Andoid 6.0 would finally kill it. You'd think that Google could manage to get their software to run efficiently on their own hardware, particularly hardware that's only a few years old, or am I being unreasonably naive again?

1. Lamont Cranston

Re: Old Nexus 7?

Weren't the problems with the original Nexus 7 to do with it being made using cheap flash RAM? Mine was getting a bit ropey on KitKat, and was an unusable mess with Lollipop, but reformatting the internals to f2fs and picking an android distro that supported it (started out with SlimKat, which was rather buggy, settled on Cyanogen which has been great) has brought my Nexus 7 back to life. OK, I'm on KitKat, not Lollipop or Mashmallow, but it's running really well, and so I don't need to worry about replacing it for a good while yet (unlike a PC, I can't just pop it open and upgrade the components!).

5. Yugguy

Google has also sought to make the Google Now virtual assistant more prevalent with Marshmallow

And this is why it's NEVER going on my phone.

I've spent a good while disabling the shit out of GoogleNow and the shortcuts for it. and I don't intend to have to redo this.

1. Jason Bloomberg Silver badge

Re: Google has also sought to make the Google Now virtual assistant more prevalent with Marshmallow

^ This. The all or nothing approach isn't what everyone wants. When I finally get everything set-up, looking and working how I want it, I don't want an upgrade to undo or break all that, don't want to struggle through doing it all again.

If it's not broken; don't fix it. But like Nate Amsden earlier I would like to have security upgrades but it's all or nothing.

I also don't want to be forced to have the latest version of an app when I don't think that is as good as the previous version. It's probably why XP is also still stubbornly sticking around.

1. Badvok

Re: Google has also sought to make the Google Now virtual assistant more prevalent with Marshmallow

"I also don't want to be forced ..."

Please look up the definition of 'forced' in the dictionary.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Google now has always been opt in.

Now on tap is also opt in

You are a cretin.

1. Yugguy

@AC

No it bloody isn't.

My Samsung had a hot spot near the Home soft button which on swipe-up would activate GoogleNow.

Caused all sorts of issues for a lot of people because even a slight press to the side of the home button activated Google Now.

I DIDNT ASK FOR IT, I HAD TO DISABLE IT. I'd call that bloody forced.

My Sony has complete Google, Facebook and Twatter integration by way of core apps for example Xperia with Facebook. I do not want these. I have to manually disable them, HOW THE BUGGERING BOLLOCKS IS THAT IN ANYWAY A CHOICE TO OPT IN?

1. Yugguy

And before I disabled Google Now it was ACTIVATED by default. I had to manually choose to deactivate a response to the spoken phrase OK Google.

NOW WHAT'S THAT CALLED AGAIN? OH AYE, HAVING TO CHOOSE TO OPT OUT.

1. Badvok

New Type of Crime Announced by Yugguy!

According to Yugguy you can now walk into a store and they'll hold a gun to your head until you buy the phone they want you to.

1. Yugguy

Re: New Type of Crime Announced by Yugguy!

Pardon?

Am I only the person left who would simply like some sort of control over the expensive device I paid for?

1. Badvok

Re: New Type of Crime Announced by Yugguy!

The point is that you actually did have the choice of which phone to buy, if you made that choice without knowing anything about the stock software then that's your fault, no one forced you to buy it. Plus, you could always put some other software on it instead.

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Is this place full of click happy idiots that don't read when they are accepting? it looks like it...

Google Now has NEVER EVER been opt-out. It's always been opt-in, and it's done on initial device setup. If you decline and long press the home button, you get asked again.

3. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge

Google is the new evil carrier that throws gigabytes of battery draining shovelware onto your phone. I wouldn't recommend their customized OS any more than one from a telco. Third party AOSP builds are nicely trimmed down.

6. Lamont Cranston

Just looked on the Motorla paged linked in the article.

The M update will remove the Migrate, Assist and Connect apps that they added, as they're no longer necessary. Can someone alert Samsung to this revolutionary practice?

7. Looper
    Unhappy

So far no OTA update available...

...for Nexus 7 2013...,

...and no update at all for Moto G 2nd Gen or any other Moto device, since they only do OTA updates...

According to Motorola on October 2nd:

"As for timing, we have high standards, so we’ll work fast but we won’t push the upgrades out until we know they’re ready. Look for more news on timing in the coming weeks. Stay tuned for more details on upgrades for specific devices."

8. BitDr

A few small complaints, but good overall

In settings->apps they swapped the locations of the "Force Stop" and "Uninstall" buttons. I've almost uninstalled three apps in the last 24 hours. That's a nasty little difference. Otherwise my nexus 5 now charges faster and battery life seems to last longer. I rather like the return to the nexus one vertical scrolling applications. I found the swipe right to get to the phone very handy in Lollipop, now swipe right opens up a voice search? Also used to be able to swipe right, left, or up on any part of the screen to open the phone, camera or home screen, now only swipe up works on any part of the screen, left and right only work from the lower corners. Why doesn't the home screen rotate so it can be used in landscape mode?

So far these are the only niggles, I'm still exploring, but it seems to be an improvement overall.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like