back to article CIOs: Tell us about your biggest disaster and how you survived it

Walt Disney said “a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you”. Well, for all his talents, Walt wasn’t attempting to secure an aging IT system while evolving a vision to “digitalise” his company and secure its future in the long-term. We suspect that’s what many of our senior readers are doing, though, and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. hplasm
    Meh

CIO response in a nutshell.

It all went bang! I jumped, and floated away on my golden parachute.

The End.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: CIO response in a nutshell.

Took the credit for the working bits, delegated blame to the BAs. Made a PM cry once. Swapped the BAs and PMs around by calling them both Scrum Masters and pretended to understand ITIL while calling everything AGILE. Sacked half the ops team and made the developers do their job too, which worked for a while as they were then able to code in production, like it was the Wild West. I just called it DevOps. Once QA complaints reached high decibels, I sacked the QA resources and offshored their function to three countries in the same timezone, while pretending we had follow-the-sun by making one team work night shifts, then took a job at a competitor before it all blew up underneath me, with glowing references. Repeat.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: CIO response in a nutshell.

Then I joined the government as digital-cyber-iCzar

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Biggest?

RAID failure, lost everything, didn't survive, just walked away to start over from less than zero. Boring really, just as well I can't make the meeting.

This topic is closed for new posts.