back to article Intel doubles capacity and speed of PCIe flash card

Intel has near-doubled the capacity and speed of its DC P3600 PCIe NVMe flash card with a DC P3608 refresh. It’s doubled the number of PCIe lanes from 4 to 8 and upped the maximum capacity from 2TB to 4TB, while still using 20nm MLC flash – the HET variety – in the P3608’s case. The net effect is to boost both IOPS and …

1. Prst. V.Jeltz Silver badge

calling it a "drive" at this stage (and speed) really is a bit legacy isnt it?

1. Ragarath

It's called a solid state drive. Why is that any different than calling it a flash card or a disk drive a, well a disk drive?

Would you prefer they called it "A device for storing files in non-volatile memory chips"?

Everyone knows what a "drive" is, the explaination above but in a short format. If you like it drives file storage for the OS.

Why is a device driver called a driver?

I could go on but feel it pointless.

1. enormous c word

Bulk Memory

Bulk Memory seems a better term to me.

2. Stryker007

Guess they have to call it by a name that people (the buyers) understand if they want it to sell

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

And how do you hotswap a PCI card? This isn't really an enterprise product

1. John Robson Silver badge

You don't - you hotswap the server

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Looks like the Fusion-IO ioDrive2 Duo

Same thing -- two different controllers on the same slot. It is a great idea.

1. John Sanders
      Holmes

Re: Looks like the Fusion-IO ioDrive2 Duo

Such a great idea, let's make it even better, why not having 3 into one... oh wait.

5. Hellcat

I was hoping for something a bit crazier - like SLI/Crossfire for PCIe drives. Yes I know there's enough bandwidth on the PCIe bus, but part of me was always impressed by the Voodoo GFX accelerators and early Rage Fury Maxx cards.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sad Trombone Sound

Was this announces on "two-fer Tuesday"?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like