back to article Arabic-speaking cyberspies targeting BOFHs with crude but effective attacks

An Arabic-speaking cyber-espionage group, active since 2012, has stepped up its attacks over the last six months, according to new research from Kaspersky Lab. The so-called "Gaza cyber-gang" focuses on attacking government entities, especially embassies, and primarily targets information technology and incident response staff …

1. Preston Munchensonton
    Facepalm

Justice Served

Anyone who opens an EXE attached to an email gets exactly what they deserve. This isn't 1995 any more.

1. GreggS

Re: Justice Served

Unfortunately, stupid is as stupid does. You'd hope people in these positions would know though!

2. Christoph

Any IT staff who let through an email with an EXE attachment get exactly what they deserve.

3. Wzrd1 Silver badge

Unbelievable crude though, not even a *.pdf.exe.

2. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Who to blame ?

Extensive analysis by the Bletchley dept of chaps smoking pipes, has decoded that the common part of these messages is the use of ".exe". From the French "exécuter" which suggests that an immediately retaliatory strike on Johnny Frenchman is the only rational course of action

1. Pliny the Whiner

Re: Who to blame ?

Or his older, less crass brother Jean-Luc Frenchman.

3. Amorous Cowherder
    Facepalm

Really?

If your IT staff are incompetent enough...

a) allow attachments through to desktops without holding them in quarentine

b) actually open email attachments

c) not have AV/malware on PCs/Macs/mobiles/tablets under their control

d) Not realising any of the above are basic, important security measures

Should be taken out back, severely beaten with a length of CAT5 and then given their marching papers!

Christ, even the least techie people in my family understand these core foundational tenets of good security, let alone people paid to know this stuff by rote.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Really?

e) Having more than a single computer account. 1 for day-to-day with limited permissions, the other with relevant privileges.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

f) Not bouncing .exe files at the mailserver level.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Or at least doing it in a slightly more nuanced level.

The wonderful default out-of-the-box Microsoft office365 system here won't let me share exe/zip/dll or even xml with other people in my development team - everything has to be renamed to ".not_an_exe"

4. disgruntled yank

But how can anyone resist?

I mean, "President Mahmoud Abbas cursing Majed Faraj.exe"?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: But how can anyone resist?

I once met Sheikh Exe and he was a swell lad, though a bit haram around the edges.

5. John 104

Thank you Captain Obvious

IT personnel are targeted because they work with elevated permissions inside organisations necessary to manage and operate IT infrastructures.

1. Paul Crawford Silver badge

Re: Thank you Captain Obvious

Yes, but normally they target the wonks in accounts because they often have lots of access but lack the nous one normally assumes a BOFH has by the bucket full.

Not, it would seem, here...

6. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

BOFH

Not really BOFHs. They wouldn't dare. That would be likely to result in a DDoS attack by return. With all the packets strangely elevated to 5Kv (the remote cattle prod).

1. Wzrd1 Silver badge

Re: BOFH

Not really, 5kv is a bit crude.

I go with the security androids, which distract everyone from noticing that I electrified the IT department urinal.

1. Fatman
        Joke

Re: I go with the security androids

Like this prototype?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mqDjcGgE5I

7. Henry Wertz 1 Gold badge

Why Microsoft why?

Why oh why did Microsoft not make the default "always show file extensions" like 15 years ago -- to me, for security purposes, showing the FULL file name by default on a system like Windows (where system behavior varies based on file extension) is exactly as obvious as the decision to turn off autorun. But here we are, with systems still supressing important file information by default.

1. Wzrd1 Silver badge

Re: Why Microsoft why?

And still have e-mail systems that will happily deliver Really_Cool_Shit_Read_Me_Now.scr.pdf.exe .

8. phil 27

<sarcasm> Just wait till they develop the next level of sophistication, zip of exe.</sarcasm>

Anyone running a milter that lets through a exe or zip of contect without blinking wants shooing with a length of ftp, ESPECIALLY those in a position of a company large enough to be a target. Its not point and click for monkeys people role, test your own stuff, do a professional job.

Of course then you might find people killing your mail server cluster with recursive zip attacks, but hey, its not 1999 anymore and you should be capable of stopping that too.

I did bring down a entire cluster sending someone carrying the EICAR test string inside this exploit payload via mail who absolutely insisted on pain of my dismissal to do so despite my dire warnings.Fun call with the cluster admin at 10pm on a friday who put in place proceedures to not have managers strong arm security staff with requests against their better judgement... And I hope harden the cluster of mailservers that it took out...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like