back to article Do you agree with our fee hike? Press 1 to answer Yes; or 2 for Yes

It has long been a concern that domain-name overseer ICANN is largely funded by companies reliant on the organization to make money. Every biz that wishes to sell domain names – called a registrar – has to pay the organization $4,000 a year, plus 18 cents on every domain they sell. In addition, they have to pay a variable fee …

1. connermac725

I don't Think So

and these are the people that want control of the internet NOT

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Re: I don't Think So

Actually it's a real-world satire.

2. Your alien overlord - fear me

Sounds like the voting software was written originally for North Korea.

1. Mark 85
      Devil

And soon to be adapted everywhere...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Their new motto

ICANNot take no for an answer.

4. Tom Maddox Silver badge
    FAIL

Yes and no

Bummer. One day, someone will invent a computing device that handle binary computation and storage. Until then, I guess ICANN will just have to rely on what they have now.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

And they've yet to deploy the infallible "dog ate the homework" argument

I have a sneaking regard for their sheer chutzpah: the registrars don't even get the promised reach-around and instead ICANN complains that they now have a headache, maybe next year...

Thanks to Kieren for the regular dose of Kafka: your audience of salarymen can once again return to the daily grind in the happy knowledge that (against all odds) there is a bigger shower of shits beyond our cubicle walls.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: And they've yet to deploy the infallible "dog ate the homework" argument

there is a bigger shower of shits beyond our cubicle walls

It's all a trick to make you accept the horrendous situation inside....

6. RedneckMother

we can all save money...

I'm very comfortable with offering the world at large to sit on MY thumb for a LOT LESS MONEY. I could be bought for, well let's say, $250kUSD.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: we can all save money...

You talk big, but we don't know where that thumb's been.

7. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Flame

Problems with the voting software

Yeah sure, at this point, why not ? It's not like they would have tested the thing before putting it into production, right ?

ICANN can say whatever they want anyway, it's not like anyone is going to trust their words.

I see only one solution : not voting. If they don't have the votes, they can't pretend everyone agrees.

Well, there is another solution, but it involves a hit man and a contract, and I think that, for us law-abiding citizens, it's rather frowned upon.

Pity.

1. nematoad

Re: Problems with the voting software

"ICANN can say whatever they want anyway, it's not like anyone is going to trust their words."

It's not the lack of trust that is the problem. It's the fact that even if you have a complaint or grievance there's nothing you can do about it. The way ICANN is set up all the control is vested in the management and staff. The only contribution outsiders can make to this member-free member organisation is to pay up.

As to the non-voting, that's not going to work, even if all registrars voted against there's probably something in the regulations saying that in that case ICANN can just go ahead anyway. Just like in the rest of the way things are run.

This bunch of self-serving shits should not be in charge of a whelk stall, but they are in charge and as far as I can see apart from the US government there's not a lot anyone can do about it.

8. Mage Silver badge
    Pirate

Shakes head

If you had the stuff about ICANN in a book, a fantasy, people would find the magic fireballs more plausible.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

compare with UK nominet

UK domain registration costs less, there are only about one tenth the number of domains to administer and they are similarly incompetent and it takes a large number of very well paid employees to achieve very little. I want a job there, I too could do bugger-all of any use if I was paid enough (come to think of it I already achieve that, don't tell the boss).

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sepp Blatter is ready to step in, should ICANN need a new CEO. A fresh start and all that...

1. Jonathan Richards 1

The FIFA option

Upvoted, because Herr Blatter came to my mind too, and I came here to say exactly what you did.

11. Tom 64
    Angel

Sounds like a nice big pork barrel rolling on down the road, and those that are along for the ride have no desire to stop it, or be accountable to those who have their fees thrust upon them.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like