back to article Capita: O2 call centre staff exodus is premature evacuation

Capita has “invited” O2 call centre staff with one eye on the exit to stick around for a little longer, and the resulting excitement at such a prospect is palpable. Some 700 workers opted for voluntary redundancy last month, helping the outsourcing monster wring more profits from the £1.2bn, ten-year contract signed with O2 in …

1. Yugguy

I know it won't happen

But how sweet would it be if everyone just fucked off.

1. Elmer Phud

Re: I know it won't happen

This pretty much happend when I worked for a large comms company. People took the money and were looking forward to getting out, being, mightily pissed off at the way things had been for a while (many thought it deliberate before the offfer to go).

I was moved sideways and backwards and forwards and all over the place - not actually with a role but still getting paid - eventually met my old line manager who had been brought back on as agency staff at three times his old rate.

Greetings of 'what the fuck are you doing here?' were exchanged followed by many chuckles as we tried to work out how many millions the cost savings hadn't been.

2. dogged

Picture

why not use the Reg's own Capita logo as featured in this article?

3. Jason 24

Screwing themselves?

With that many people leaving and looking for new jobs I'm not sure I'd want to stick around, every other job in the area will be snapped up in 6 weeks.

I hope they all tell Capita to jog on and walk out on time.

4. John G Imrie

OK I'll stay

It will cost you £500 p/h net of tax

1. Lysenko

Re: OK I'll stay

£500ph ?? Nah. The sentiment is right but the presentation lacks something.

I suggest that in line with the recent elevation of "Foot II", another trip back to the '70s is in order. "Quintuple Time" has a better ring to it. Then spend the six week resolving demarcation disputes and holding shop stewards meetings ;)

5. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Thumb Down

Following the additional six weeks, the staff will leave on the same redundancy terms

Ha ha. No.

Now what would the pay be for a six-week contract? They can start negotiating from there.

6. Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse

What a way to spin it...

"Capita is making the redundancies because it noted a change in the habits of O2 customers seeking support, with traditional call volumes dropping in favour of other channels."

In English, what that means is that under the auspices of the standard response when you phone them up of "Sorry, we are experiencing an unexpectedly high volume of calls, please wait." (Really??? At 7:30 am???) Capita have either actually already reduced the number of call centre staff, or have introduced a mandatory call transfer delay when you phone them up (which by the way you are paying Xp per minute for) which actually forces people to give up trying to call and try these other channels of communication.

So I call this a sham. "Noted a change in the habits"?? Yes, I agree - but a change in habit actually engineered by O2 and Capita as a cost saving measure by making the experience of phoning them an utterly futile and pointless exercise.

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

Re: What a way to spin it...

"which by the way you are paying Xp per minute for"

Saynoto0870 is even better value these days now that "free" 0845 and 0870 inclusions have been removed.

7. PeterM42

Change of habit?

Better change of provider.

I swopped to Giff Gaff. (Yes I know it piggybacks off O2, but the service is MUCH better.)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like