back to article Get on with it! Uncle Sam's right-hand man schools ICANN powwow

After a fruitless and frustrating day of discussion in Los Angeles, US Assistant Secretary for Commerce Larry Strickling had clearly had enough. "I've been trying to decide whether to come up and say anything or not, but the issue was forced by the fact that I'm leaving in 15 minutes," he said. "So if I was going to say …

1. JeffyPoooh
    Pint

Simple solution...

Use pointers.

Issue a press release that points to an agreement to be issued next year.

1. Lamb0
      Terminator

Re: Simple solution...

If this gets delayed an extra year maybe President Trump will send the Governator to tell ICANN "Your Fired"... or terminate them as necessary.

That should clear the path for a new, more accountable company.

2. Dan 55 Silver badge

That wouldn't work, it'd be a pointer to unallocated data.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Good call -- they should whack each other with sticks.

2. Mark 85

Nice words and thoughts, but I doubt it'll change a thing. The Board has had 10 years to clean up it's act and so far... nada. zip, zilch. I daresay that 7 or 8 commentards would be a better pick and better able to get things accomplished than that group of self-serving idiots.

3. raving angry loony

Unprofessional. Irresponsible.

Rarely have I ever seen a hive of scum and self-serving interests as ICANN. Which really should be named ICANNT. They should be stripped of ALL their power, and a new organization that's actually interested in the job rather than wallowing in the power they wield appointed to the task.

First fucker to use a powerpoint presentation should be crucified. The second should be sat on a short stake. Anyone caught not paying attention should be flogged. And I bet that the rest STILL wouldn't get the hint that perhaps they should decide things rather than just chatter inanely or play stupid power games.

Any organization that broken needs to be forcibly disbanded. Maybe by burying the current members in an unmarked grave and starting over.

Where's the BOFH when we need him?

1. frank ly
      Thumb Up

Re: Unprofessional. Irresponsible.

I can tell that you're not the sort of person who gets appointed to committees or made chairman.

1. url

i'm not sure that's actually an insult :)

2. Paul Crawford Silver badge

Yes - probably best option is to nuke it from orbit.

Start again, new board, rules that stop them plying silly buggers, and if they are OK in a years time then job done. After all, most of the Internet would function perfectly well without ICANN, certainly for the time it takes to wipe and re-install.

3. Rick Giles
      Thumb Up

I wish I could up vote this, but this stupid app won't let me and I'm not near my laptop...

You listening El Reg? And fix the scroll on the main page of the app while your at it...

4. Vic

Rarely have I ever seen a hive of scum and self-serving interests as ICANN

The next meeting is due to be held in Mos Eisley, just to make everyone look better...

Vic.

4. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Unhappy

I think we need a 'C' ark.

1. Jeffrey Nonken

...though the giant mutant star goat is a pretty good backup plan.

5. Gordon 10

the fix is obvious

Run it like a FOSS project. The internet reps are the stakeholders, Icann are the project team who the stakeholders can fire if they don't behave.

All Icann discussions and decisions are publicly published and subject to peer review. Ditto the financials.

Then there far less room for graft and secret influencing.

6. Cincinnataroo

Is this an archetypal faceless committee?

I have no sense about any of the bods on this committee. Do you?

Steve Crocker | Chair

Bruce Tonkin | Vice Chair

Rinalia Abdul Rahim

Cherine Chalaby

Fadi Chehadé | President & CEO

Chris Disspain

Asha Hemrajani

Wolfgang Kleinwächter

Markus Kummer

Bruno Lanvin

Erika Mann

Ram Mohan

Gonzalo Navarro

Raymond A. Plzak

George Sadowsky

Thomas Schneider

Mike Silber

Jonne Soininen

Suzanne Woolf

Kuo-Wei Wu

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like