back to article 'Steve Jobs filmmakers opportunistic? Apple, you've got a factory of children making phones'

Academy Award-winning screenwriter Aaron Sorkin has issued a verbal blast to Apple CEO Tim Cook over his criticism of the forthcoming film biopic of dead Steve Jobs. Earlier this month, Cook was interviewed by Stephen Colbert on The Late Show, and discussed the succession of films (and even an opera) that have been made about …

1. LaeMing
    Go

Burns unit?

Excellent...!

1. chivo243 Silver badge
      Trollface

Re: Burns unit?

Mr Cook to the burns unit, please, Would that be the Mr. Burns unit?

From the photo in the article, take away a bit of hair and add those liver spots, and Cook = Burns...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

And the Lord did grin

How dare these people criticize St. Steve and the Holy Rounded Rectangle?

3. Mark 85

This could get interestingly nasty... my money on the writer not the CEO. Popcorn anyone?

4. Haku

"I think that a lot of people are trying to be opportunistic, and I hate this; it's not a great part of our world,"

In other news, Mr Kettle just got a tweet from Mr Pot.

5. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Facepalm

"it's not a great part of our world"

Why is that guy a CEO of anything except his garden shed?

I'm sure non-opportunity-seeking regimes like North Korea will receive him with open arms.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Big Brother

Re: "it's not a great part of our world"

At least 3 fanbois have the anti-capitalistic mentality where jesus phones are extruded whole out of governmental offices and fabianistic planning by sharing, caring bureaucrats ensures success.

Or maybe they just think that Apple and Rapacious Jobs just CANNOT be opportunistic because that would DEMEAN THE CHURCH?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Young SJ = self centred a-hole. Check. Sorkin = clever word-twisting hack. Check. Probably an entertaining film, but cannot be a rounded portrait with no Pixar and no family. This could have been as timeless a film as Citizen Kane, but it seems they have gone for something less insightful and more, well, opportunistic. I will be going to see it.

1. TeeCee Gold badge
      Mushroom

This could have been as timeless a film as Citizen Kane

...and they accused Cook of talking utter fabuwank.

About the only thing you got right there was ensuring you'd gone anon with that load of onanistic twaddle. Otherwise we'd have probably taken the piss out of you in perpetuity.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Looking at the money I am inclined to agree

Never is so enthusiastically cashed in on someone famous then after they've croaked.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Looking at the money I am inclined to agree

Consider it a form of recycling, and it seems better.

But Cook is worth billions on the back of Jobs' obsessive innovation, and brings nothing to the Apple party other than the lipless smile of a procurement guy, so I'm struggling to see his point.

2. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Headmaster

Re: Looking at the money I am inclined to agree

"than"

8. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Factory full of Children?

"Secondly, Tim Cook should really see the movie before he decides what it is. Third, if you've got a factory full of children in China assembling phones for 17 cents an hour, you've got a lot of nerve calling someone else opportunistic."

So despite Tim Cook telling the world that this is not their policy and that their suppliers shoud stop doing it, those self same suppliers are still employing Child Labour then?

Come right out and shout it from the rooftops if this is actually happening today because Tim Cook is lying through his back teeth and should be made to resign.

On the other hand, perhaps it is time to resurrect the term 'Foxconn Rebrander' for Apple. At least that shifts the blame back to the source now don't it eh?

1. W Donelson

Re: Factory full of Children?

If it's happening, Apple should STOP BUYING PARTS FROM THEM.

I am a fan of Apple, and this decision is SIMPLE.

9. Roger B

Why is there a photo of Stephen Colbert with Paul O'Grady though?

1. Peshman
      Coat

As one of the Foxconn employees would say...

"That comment was Lily Savage"

10. i steal your leccy
    Trollface

'biopic of DEAD Steve Jobs'

That's going to be a really short film!

11. Pig Dog Bay
    Holmes

Mr Robot

'Apple, you've got a factory of children making phones'

Isn't this a quote from Mr Robot?

12. W Donelson

I love Apple products, but....

SO TRUE, Mr Sorkin.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Quick, turn on the reality distortion field to repel awkward questions.

Cannae make her do it capt'n! I need more stockmarket energy!

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Zero Tolerance?

The Western Governments talk of zero tolerance to child exploitation.

As usual this does not extend to corporate entities. As usual money overrides any other consideration.

Holmes

Re: Zero Tolerance?

"As usual?"

These are the same governments that visit death, destruction and ISIS on whole areas of the world for political support by lobbies of foreign undemocratic governments and the self-indulgent illusion of reaching "defenestrator of the freedoms / responsibilizer to protectoratify" hit levels in history books.

Money is not everything!

1. Mark 85

Money is not everything!

Ah, but it is. Modern history shows that these things are part of the money and power motives. For example, look at the recent (100 years or so) of Saudi Arabia to see who's been propping them up and how it was done.

1. lucki bstard

To quote and old history teacher of mine it's 'Sex Money and Power' that determines most actions

15. x 7

In that photo Tim Cook looks suspiciously like that dog -loving other gay icon, Paul O'Grady.

Was O'Grady a sperm donor in his youth? The similarity defies belief

1. Teiwaz

Paul O'Grady - Thar's the puppy

Perhaps there's a secret alien lab at the North Pole, pumping out clones.

(I'm Not anti-G*y, just anti-chat show host and CEO)

Either reminds me of Fthr Jack Hackett:

'That Gobshite again? Is he Never off the air?'

16. Deltics

Check your dictionaries or your thesaurases (thesauri ?)...

Exploitative (Apple making $'s off the back of child labour) is not a synonym for Opportunistic (Hollywood making $'s off the back of a public willing to pay to see movies about matters of little interest or import).

I would expect Aaron Sorkin to understand the difference.

Perhaps he saw an opportunity [sic] to get some free publicity for his movie by pretending outrageous and public indignation ?

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Foxconn

Of course if they stop paying children then do you magically assume they'll up the wage of the parents? In reality the family will take the hit.

Living in China I can assure you there is enough money here to make you back home feel very very poor. Foxconn could easily pay more, but when your biggest natural resource is the largest population on the planet then they pay the market rate else someone else steps in and takes your job.

Likely you'll find that the reality is that the parents take the children with them to save on childcare costs if they moved into the city to take in work and they don't have family there. Often the children live far away from the parents with their grandparents raising then since the parents move away to find work. It's very common that after marriage the husband and wife go to different cities and only see each other in holidays.

As for the work? There are so so so many non jobs here in China, because they need to keep the population working at doing anything and as such the work rate is pitiful. Each checkout aisle has 5 people guiding you to products, there are more workers than customers. For sure they will not be worked to death, don't imagine it is like 100s years ago in England.

Here it is the parents choice to take them to work. It's not right, but it is their way. Changing it will likely see them employ people without kids.

And why do they move away? It's not how we do it but the distances here are vast. When I lived in Nottingham for sure my ex wife took a job in Sheffield and I took one in Derby. You can't do that over here and still be home in time for tea.

18. disgruntled yank

The altruism staggers me.

I never worshiped at the altar of Jobs, but "Nobody did this movie to get rich."?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like