back to article Knife crime Definitely Maybe linked to games, claims Oasis man

Oasis’ guitarist Noel Gallagher has named violent videogames as one factor behind the spate of knife crimes affecting UK youth. Gallagher voiced his thoughts on videogame violence and its supposed link to knife crime while collecting a music award last week. According to a report by the BBC, he said: “People say [knife crime …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Gordon
    Unhappy

Twat

Maybe mediocre rock music inspires kiddies to knife crime too?

2. Richard

Huh?

"If kids are sitting up all night smoking super skunk and they become so desensitised to crime because they're playing these videogames, it's really, really scary."

So not video games then, but the 'super skunk'?

If he'd said strong drugs cause violence, yeah, fine, I can believe that.

3. Bruce Leyden
    Stop

Sure he's not on the wind up?

If he isn't then the headline should be revised to read:

"Twat Noel Gallacher Opens Twat Mouth and Declares Himself Twat"

4. Pawel
    Stop

oh rly

Or it is simply a matter of nothing else better to do, a matter of bringup and simple intrest in kids. But, well if even the Police has other matters to attend to, i.e. appologizing for a pup on a police poster, bah cowers because of it, then sorry folks how should they stand against a teenage drunkie armed with knife, huh ? ...

5. P

Goon!

hmmm, so what which of these factors caused his brother to stomp on a policeman's chest after starting a bar fight in Germany? Twat indeed.

6. bluesxman
    Thumb Down

RE: Huh?

I presumed what he was trying to say (rather ineloquently) was that when you're stoned, you tend to empathise more and get engrossed in things; the more feeble minded amongst us might not be able to "switch off". At least that's what I *think* he was getting at.

However, I've never, EVER known anyone to become violent when stoned, quite the opposite. More weed = more placid, at least in my not-inconsiderable experience... now if we were talking about alcohol...

But I digress.

My point is: yeah, he's a twat and clearly full of shit. :)

7. Dr Patrick J R Harkin

Thank heavens!

At last, a respected member of the community with a worldwide reputation in the field has made a comment.

Ah, sorry, I think I'm commenting on the wrong story.

8. andy rock
    Stop

oh dear

i heard something the other day on the radio with Noel saying something along the lines of:

"i don't know what's with all this killing people. when i was a kid you got a rep by trying to be somebody. when did this all come about?"

and i thought 'hmmm, nice sentiment but people have always been doing this, just more in countries like america than here. nonetheless, nice sentiment.' now, i'm just of the opinion that he's turned into some old giffer who's going to be down on anybody wearing a hooded sweatshirt next. dangerous idiot.

9. Glenn Charles
    Paris Hilton

It's the Super Skunk,

remember? He even refers to it. Are some of the media getting paid to refer to pot as something that can inspire hallucinations, relax inhibitions, and do other terrible things like alcohol does?

--Glenn

She can't figure it out either.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

This article fails to mention...

...that Noel Gallagher is an idiot.

Violent types will always find a way to be violent, if it's not re-enacting GTA IV, it's re-enacting a film, if it's not re-enacting a film...

11. Richard

RE: RE: Huh?

@bluesxman

I wasn't saying that it was just being on skunk that was causing it, but you yourself said:

"you tend to empathise more and get engrossed in things; the more feeble minded amongst us might not be able to "switch off""

so in that case it doesn't matter if it's video games or not?

OK I'm not blaming cannabis (strong skunk perhaps, but that's completely different), but arguably drugs (thinking more on the lines of heroine and crack cocaine) are far more likely to cause violence than video games. Surely?

This topic is closed for new posts.