back to article 'RipSec' goes to Hollywood: how the iCloud celeb hack happened

The chief hacker behind the infamous iCloud celebrity hacks has revealed in a documentary how the group dubbed RipSec shook Hollywood by plundering thousands of naked photos and financial data of Tinsel Town icons. The hacker broke silence and spoke to Canadian tech and producer Travis Doering who provides information security …

1. Mitoo Bobsworth

You're urging it wrong.

"Doering urges Apple to open a bug bounty program to help close its information security vulnerabilities."

Nice idea - now wait for Apple to reinvent it & charge a fee for joining the iBug hunt.

1. VinceH

Re: You're urging it wrong.

I didn't realise they didn't have a bug bounty program - until now.

Similarly, I didn't think my opinion of them could sink any further - until now.

2. Mark 85
      Coat

Re: You're urging it wrong.

There could be monetization of this.. simply put the patches in their App Store and charge for downloading them. Then.. PROFIT!!!

Icon.... Pockets full of cash from this.

2. Terje

No no no, you will have to pay to report vulnerability. Just think about all the costs you cause apple and the possible associated loss in shareholder value!

3. jake Silver badge

But ... but ... but ...

I thought my iFad was unhackable!

::whimpers & crawls into shell::

4. SW10
    FAIL

We can smirk...

...but ultimately this is about our sisters, our cousins, the people you have a drink with, that woman who puts in a few hours to serve food and drink at the sports club, the guy who always has a set of jumper leads to start your car.

In every other aspect of their life, when they lock something they know what level of security they've chosen. Big padlock, little three-wheel combination lock, 5-lever mortice, whatever; by-and-large, they have a gut feel for the risk level.

And when something is locked in the safe in the house, that's where it bloody stays.

That's largely the image they have with their phones as well. How do you explain that the stuff locked in their safe in their house isn't actually there, but is spirited off to a distant warehouse on the busiest street they can imagine. A warehouse where maybe the fire exit is left permanently open, or that a window has been forced and no-one noticed for months?

Something has to change.

1. Mark 85

Re: We can smirk...

I wish I could upvote this more than once. We, in IT, have become rather cynical and guarded about this sort of stuff. It doesn't matter if it's smartphones or PC's, we've seen it all or just about have. The average user.. no they haven't. I still hear from people who got a virus from a spoofed email and don't understand why their friend would send them a virus. Or why, they got caught by a nasty from a drive-by or malvertising

Even people who should know better get nailed by phishing emails.. as the number of companies paying fake invoices is showing.

They do have an expectation that the internet is secure. That governments aren't spying on them. That stuff they put onto the cloud or in their devices is not seen or accessed by anyone else.

If the government agencie charged with "policing and protection", if the AV programs all did what they say they do, we might not have these isues. Sadly we can't change the way people think and work. There's always those who look for the easy money... be they malware thugs or even advertisers.

The world lacks trust and ethics and that's something that will damn hard to change.

5. omnicent
    Thumb Up

Re: we can smirk

Well said sir. An excellent post which re-humanitises (sorry about making up a word) non-technical users of tech

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like