back to article 85 speakers reveal secure identity management solutions at Biometrics 2015

Need to know more about the role of biometrics in identity management? Make sure you sign up for Biometrics 2015, three days of interactive discussion and debate in the heart of London [13-15 October 2015]. You can get more info and registration details at Biometrics 2015. But here is the executive summary. Learn more about …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. msknight
    Joke

"I'm Brian!"

(sorry, I'm just a bit jaded about all these identification solutions. After all this time and no one has yet come up with something that we trust to replace the barrel lock.)

(And as for the banks, I don't trust them as far as I could throw a cash machine ... after digging it out of the wall first, of course.)

2. MrTuK

Biometrics, scarey stuff

I like Barclays authentication using your card, and password Authentication on websites, but using fingerprints - iris scans, facial recognition is a big no no.

because once they are hacked you are completely f**ked as you can't change them !

And no matter what they say everything is hackable !

I would rather lose a device because it doesnt have Biometrics than use Biometrics and that out there in the wild !

A phone, tablet or PC is not worth the value of a short time security, many years ago I visited Canada and while in Canada my Westminster Bank card was used in the UK to purchase a train ticket and a TV license !! I was able to prove that I was in Canada and actually had bought things on days either side of the purchases that were made in the UK while I was in Canada, finally the Bank agreed after seeing my passport that I had not returned back to UK and then back to Canada, luckily this had happened while I was in Canada as I dont know how I would have proved it otherwise !

Nah, Biometrics is a bad thing and the sooner everybody realizes this the better.

Especially that its very difficult to avoid giving up information like apps that request information on stuff that is not required, EG Amazon app requesting additional access to your contacts and trying to validate it for a promotional thing but its only valid in USA but the whole world need to let Amazon have access to their contacts, obviously I declined the upgrade, but if this had been a first install, I would have no choice but to accept access to contacts or forgo having the Amazon app.

And now with MS in on the same thing wanting access and spying on everything you do all in the name of progress to resolve issues - nope, dont want it, so I disabled all the stuff I could, like Store, Search, Onedrive, Cortana, Xbox, Contacts, Camera, Mail and Calendar etc etc.

I suppose I am lucky that my laptop was upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10 so it was possible to do this but for a noob its probably impossible unless they rely on downloading a freeware program to do it and who knows what else the freeware program will do at least my manual was was secure and totally undoable.

I am just surprised at the kids these days giving up their information willy nilly without a care in the world, they might be more tech savvy than the older generation but also clueless as to what they are giving up !

Any business that uses Win 10 potentially is opening the door wide open to being sued later for letting MS have total access to everything including passwords ! I can't imagine the governments departments would allow a Win 10 device in the building unless that are so incompetently stupid about security - ahhh shit they are stupid, we are all doomed !!!

3. Jin

Biometrics will eventually have to stop being a deciding means for identification of individuals.

Being possible to fake and impossible to change or reset, biometrics data should not be used for long as a deciding means of identifying individuals, although it could stay as one of the reference materials for it.

This topic is closed for new posts.