back to article Apple slings bug-fixed iOS 9.0.1 at fanbois, PIN bypass hole still open

Apple has released an update to address several bugs spotted in its iOS 9 mobile operating system. iOS version 9.0.1 aims to fix, among other things, an installation problem that stopped fans from upgrading from iOS 7: their devices froze on the "slide to upgrade" screen. Other fixes in the update correct a problem that was …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

Amazing....

A coherent and useful article involving Apple.

Perhaps there is hope for the Register.

Well done Sir.

1. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: Amazing....

A good number of us use Apple products. But that doesn't stop us taking the piss out of them.

C.

1. JohnMurray

It doesn't stop Apple from taking the piss out of them either....

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The very fact you replied suggests the need to address the problem.

Perhaps the staff should understand the concept of impartiality, by all means make fun of Apple, its your rag, but do it to the same degree to the others.

1. diodesign Silver badge

Re: Aimee

Er, we rip the piss out of everyone. We are impartial in that we're an equal opportunities snark. Stick around, you'll see.

C.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

El Reg are always right there with criticism of crap technology and poor head work.

Keep up at the back!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Found another issue after installing 9.0.1 ...

Open an app that's not running and the screen goes blank.

You can tell it's not crashed as the notification area can be slid down. Have to press the "home" key and reopen the app to get it working. However, even this doesn't fix the problem for at least one of my apps.

Rebooting the phone restores normal operation, but looking at the web seems to show this is only a temporary fix.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

iPhone 4

No software updates for me.

4. Tweets

Still not fixed the Game Center problems!

5. Hud Dunlap
    Unhappy

I was ready to upgrade my iPhone, now I am not so sure

It might not be an Apple in my future.

6. SMabille

Alarm

It's quite laughable, since iOS 4 or 5, it seems that (virtually) any vaguely major release of the product is unable to cope with alarms (and/or daylight saving time change). We had the don't ring, ring an hour earlier, an hour late, 12 hours late, only when repeated, only on weekdays variations.

So seriously, especially now they entered the watch market (even if the wrist appendage is probably not used to read time), shouldn't Apple be on the market to buy an alarm software that works for a few £100m?

7. anonymous boring coward Silver badge

Might there be some Apple users that are only users, and not also "fans"?

Just asking.

1. TAJW

I for one am a user, and not a fanboi, by any means. I was given an iPhone by my company as it their standard. I have to use it to access certain company functions and company email.

I dislike a lot of what Apple does, often they make things difficult for the users. For instance, this upgrade to the iPhone...after the software is downloaded and installed, the iPhone reboots, you have enter ALL your passwords again, several times, all your apps have to be downloaded and reinstalled. It took over 24 hours for everything to be back up and running. Many of the apps just sat and said 'waiting'. With my Android, it took a few seconds to download the new update, a reboot, and everything is back online in just a few seconds. Somehow, Apple just can't seem to manage that.

As far as the fanbois comments here, it is absolutely hilarious that they will brook no negative comments about Apple, but are gleeful when anything is said about the competition. You fanbois really need to take a step back. If something is a load of cr*p, it's a load of cr*p, no matter who makes it.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like