back to article Xiaomi plans 'mini-mi' mobile network

China’s leading phone maker plans to capitalise on its success flogging mobes to the masses by operating its own-brand mobile network. Xiaomi has launched Mi Mobile, a wireless MVNO (mobile virtual network operator) that will compete against China’s stodgy state-owned mobile carriers. According to Reuters, the company is …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So the link to Apple is extremely tenuous and this is, like a majority of this once great sites articles, click bait. Come on El Reg, you used to be better than this. It one thing being an IT tabloid, but you are reaching Daily Sport levels, but without boobs...

1. Martin Summers Silver badge
      Joke

IT news and boobs? Where? Show me!

2. N13L5

Re: "this once great sites articles"

What, I come here for the comments, which are often full of good humor and sometimes even useful information.

The quality of articles has gone everywhere, since newspapers lack the money for any kind of investigative journalism.

They're all on the corporate dole and news gets passed down from the unofficial news-aggregator-conglomerate of DPA/AP/Reuters/Bloomberg - all of which are owned by the banks.

2. Youngone Silver badge
    Black Helicopters

Bollocks

MVNOs are a total load in any market where there is a monopoly or cosy duopoly.

I don't know if that's the case in China, but it's certainly the case in New Zealand where I live. The only thing these MVNOs have to compete on is price and the incumbents won't let them do that unless forced to by regulators. Once again, New Zealand.

1. Queasy Rider

Re: Bollocks... Different Strokes for Different Folks

Of course MNVOs are not for everybody but they are a financial godsend if you fit into their niche. I phone gab very little ( about 300 minutes/month) and text even less. I use a Tracfone with triple minutes which costs me a average of about $20/month. It is not a smart phone, but an LG feature phone running java. It has all the apps I need, or want, including a camera, and best of all, besides great coverage, I don't have to worry about the latest nasties besetting Apple, Android or Windows phones. It cost me $20. and it came with a $10. minutes card. I can see hundreds of millions benefiting from this kind of service, maybe not you, but you are not the only person on this planet.

1. Youngone Silver badge

@Queasy Rider

I'm not sure you paid much attention to my post above or perhaps I wasn't very clear.

In countries with little or no competition MVNO's don't exist because the big boys won't let them.

The sorts of deals you post are not available to consumers in those markets, so it's actually not about me, but about regulation.

1. Queasy Rider

Right. I suppose we are at cross purposes, with me focusing on the positives of MNVOs and thus seeing this article as promising great things for China's millions. Sorry for my last line in my previous post. I didn't mean to come across as sounding so snarky. I need to proofread my posts more for tone and be less concerned about grammer and spelling.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like