back to article SIX MILLION fingerprints of US govt workers nicked in cyber-heist

The fingerprints of nearly six million US government workers were copied by hackers who raided Uncle Sam's Office of Personnel Management (OPM), it emerged today. Back in June, it was feared that crooks had made off with four million highly sensitive personal records on government employees from the OPM's systems, although …

1. Only me!
    Trollface

Opps

I bet the thief will get fingered.........

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

China does have a bit of a dilema on its hands

They run the Great Firewall to control connections in & out of the country, yet they claim they know nothing about the cyber attacks that emanate from Chinese IP addresses. Kind of hard to reconcile.

1. Richard Jones 1

Re: China does have a bit of a dilema on its hands

Nelson's telescope trick?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: China does have a bit of a dilema on its hands

It's trivial to compromise a server or PC in China are run the hack from there. IP will showork as being from China - it does not mean it's being directed from there.

3. edge_e
    WTF?

What I want to know is

Why are their finger prints on record in the first place?

1. lambda_beta
      Linux

Re: What I want to know is

The government will be issuing new fingerprints for all who request them. Not to Worry!!

2. Wzrd1 Silver badge

Re: What I want to know is

*Every* time I have had a background check for my clearance, my fingerprints are taken.

After all, I should have to prove that I am me and not somebody else equally ugly as me.

My DNA is on file as well, secondary to military service, so that my remains may be easier to identify.

Now, how many CIA operatives fingerprints were in that grab, who now will have one hell of a time covertly entering China as a businessperson?

4. Andy Non Silver badge
    Joke

As a security precaution:

All government employees are being asked to urgently change their fingerprints.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

Re: As a security precaution:

Don't be silly - even the US Govt knows that's impossible. Instead they're going to introduce a super secret protocol, known only to US Govt employees: when asked to place your forefinger on a fingerprint scanner, use your index finger instead. That'll catch out any Chinese agents and their latex dodgy digits!

2. Wzrd1 Silver badge

Re: As a security precaution:

I've changed my fingers instead, now with 15 digit, special, upper, lower fingers.

Regrettably, due to a shortage, they're all thumbs.

5. elDog

Everyone I know has a recorded butt image

Let's just switch over to those photocopied images of us sitting on the copier. Or if you are really old, sitting on the mimeograph.

Just imaging the fun of looking at some fart's ahole when s/he was 19......

1. Teiwaz
      Gimp

Re: Everyone I know has a recorded butt image

Project Starfish

- scanning every U.S govt employees rear-ends for security purposes...

- It'll get derailed by budget problems designing a special reinforced ass-scanner.

David Cameron (hence gimp logo) will hear about it and try to roll it out across the U.k, basically to keep up with the neighbours (and also the U.S have started requesting ass-scans for all transatlantic passengers).

Followed closely be fecal recognition cameras installed in the lavs at the next music festival.

1. Wzrd1 Silver badge

Re: Everyone I know has a recorded butt image

I fear neither the bum recognition system or the fecal recognition system.

I'm an old fart, whose issue is more corrosive to lenses than hydrogen fluoride by far.

6. Voland's right hand Silver badge

While an icing on the cake, I fail to see the usefulness

So what? What can an attacker do with them? If a particular level of access requires a biometric in addition to other credentials they have to have the "other" credentials first.

Oh, I get it, considering their success rate so far we can pretty much assume that they have that too.

1. Mark 85

Re: While an icing on the cake, I fail to see the usefulness

Go the other way.... if one "John Smith" is coming into China as a tourist, having the fingerprints might point out that he's actually "Fred Flintstone", CIA employee.

1. a_yank_lurker

Alternately, having the fingerprints is very convenient when you want to frame someone to turn them.

2. Fred Flintstone Gold badge

he's actually "Fred Flintstone", CIA employee.

Excuse me? :)

1. Mark 85

Oops.... grabbed a name out of the ether.... apologies.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

So what? What can an attacker do with them?

Easy: fingerprint scanners will become very popular in the criminal world. Kinda sucks to do undercover work when they have a file which can identify you as a government employee.

Whoever didn't do their job on security has got an awful lot to account for. If that isn't negligence I don't know what is.

7. Ian 62

Biometric revocation?

So if a certificate is exploited, it can be revoked.

If a password is cracked it can be changed.

If your 2FA device is lost or nicked it can be replaced.

What are we supposed to do when biometric credentials are hacked?

If (or when) someone figures out a way to crack and exploit a biometric database, its not like I can ask them to change my authentication details.

1. Martin an gof Silver badge

Re: Biometric revocation?

So if a certificate is exploited, it can be revoked.

[etc.]

What are we supposed to do when biometric credentials are hacked?

And it's not just your passport of course, it's your laptop or your mobile phone or - and this has really annoyed me - your bloomin' school dinner money. The schools dinner service around here is rolling out fingerprint scanners to pay for school lunches. After a bit of a fuss by a relatively few parents (most people don't seem to care, frankly, but just look at the personal details people put online to find out why) the dinner service has agreed that the existing smart cards can still be used.

They claim fingerprints are better because they are more secure and less likely to be stolen. Really?

M.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Pirate

Stolen? They can even be lost.

2. Wzrd1 Silver badge

"They claim fingerprints are better because they are more secure and less likely to be stolen. Really?"

We kept multiple fingers registered on a fingerprint time clock registration system at a hospital I worked at. One cut, a burn, etc can keep the scanner from registering the employee being present for work, with wage loss resulting.

Eventually, the fingerprint feature was given up in disgust, as even the hospital CIO/VP couldn't register in with the bloody thing and only the ID card swipe was used.

Largely because the hospital BOFH was getting irritated and several time clocks near the IT shop had suspicious laser holes through the case and circuitry that corresponded in direction to the closet where the security androids were stored. And the horrific accident with the elevator next to the HR department, which was odd, as HR was on the ground floor and no elevator was ever installed in that building.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

We kept multiple fingers registered on a fingerprint time clock registration system at a hospital I worked at. One cut, a burn, etc can keep the scanner from registering the employee being present for work, with wage loss resulting.

Eventually, the fingerprint feature was given up in disgust, as even the hospital CIO/VP couldn't register in with the bloody thing and only the ID card swipe was used.

You're confusing quality with functionality. Biometrics have two parts: the physical detector (fingerprint, retina scan or camera etc), the matching algorithm behind it and then there is also how they're implemented and used. You screw up in either place and you get what you deserve.

Typically, such a cockup occurs because someone hasn't done their homework on the technology they plan to use. To start, I would not want anything I'd have to TOUCH in a hospital..

2. James Micallef Silver badge

And that is exactly why using biometrics as passwords is idiotic. Consider 2FA best practice of 1 'what you have' and 1 'what you know'. A biometric is clearly something that you *have* but in many systems it's treated as something you *know*.

This hack now means there's 6 million US gov employees whose identity, now and forever till their death, can be spoofed to a fingerprint reader (let's not kid ourselves about spoof-proof readers).

Incidentally, according to OPM themselves, the total number of federal employees (executive + legislative/judiciary + military) = 4.185 million in 2014. So who do the other 2 million fingerprints belong to??

https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/data-analysis-documentation/federal-employment-reports/historical-tables/total-government-employment-since-1962/

3. VinceH

"What are we supposed to do when biometric credentials are hacked?"

Amputation, with prosthetic replacement(s).

4. Anonymous Coward
      Happy

use acid to burn then off and then use a hotpoint to carve newprints - enjoy!

1. David Pollard

I did once wonder that there might be a business opportunity in converting one of those laser thingummies that are used to correct people's vision.

8. JeffyPoooh
    Pint

"...an additional $21m in funding so that it can harden its systems to avoid this kind of hack in the future..."

They'll add a new security system relying on the fingerprints of authorized employees...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Facepalm

Shit, that would be fucking hilarious.

2. Wzrd1 Silver badge

Well, if the employee is absent for registration, OPM can always ask the Chinese ambassador for a copy of that employee's fingerprints.

Actually, two smart cards are used, a regular user account and an elevated user account to work on the machines.

The system was considered insurmountable, while I chuckled at the notion. Shortly after, the middleware was abused to compromised the machine remotely.

A couple of minor tweaks resulted in the ability to compromised the box when that employee is logged in with their smart card.

Whenever someone comes up with a better mousetrap, some bastard bioengineers a smarter mouse.

Interestingly, the one doing the bioengineering has a contract with the mousetrap company.

9. Neil Barnes Silver badge

Can't help feeling...

as I'm sure I've said before, that any system that stores this sort of information should be airgapped. Whether or not the storage of this sort of personal data is required is another question, but given that it is, there is absolutely no reason why it should be on a networked machine, with physical access restricted to a very few.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Can't help feeling...

any system that stores this sort of information should be airgapped

It should at a minimum be at least 2 layers away from any public network, on a separate segment so that access and possible breach attempts can be monitored, and on a platform that is hardened.

The problem is that this is a reference system, so the data must be available to those authorised and that means it has to either live live on a network or has controlled replicas. However, for most uses this precise data was not needed, only a yes/no and maybe a clearance level. In the case of FP authentication, all you'd need is the hashes of the fingers, and then a confirmation, maybe with some ID number. It would then be up to the clearance of the entity requesting the data if they got any detail to go with it.

Honestly, I cannot understand this. This is so stupid it almost seems intentional.

10. kdh0009

Where are my glasses?

"the ability to misuse fingerprint data is limited,"

That has to be a contender for short sighted statement of the year.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

Re: Where are my glasses?

"the ability to misuse fingerprint data is limited,"

because we're using windows ME & NT4 and that doesn't support it.

11. This post has been deleted by its author

12. WonkoTheSane
    Black Helicopters

Have they compared the live data to the backup

There may be MORE records on the system than OPM think they had.

Instead of STEALING the data, $FOREIGNPOWER may have ADDED their own spies records to the clearance database for later espionage.

(El Reg needs a tinfoil hattery icon!)

13. mtp
    Thumb Up

Flaw with biometrics

This is the big flaw with biometrics, you cannot revoke it when it gets compromised. If megacorp X has a password hack then at least the customers can change passwords and have some chance of getting through this unscathed. If Omni Consumer Products Y has a fingerprint database and it leaks (as it inevitably will) then the mitigation involves mutilation.

(Icon picked for relevance not agreement)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like