back to article UK.gov creates £500K fund to help universities teach cyber skills

The UK government is putting up a £500,000 fund to develop cyber security skills within universities and colleges, essentially helping them construct innovative teaching methods to provide the skills needed to protect the UK from hackers, malware and other information security threats. The Higher Education Academy will …

1. chris 143

£500,000?

Thats just about enough to pay the tuition fees for 18 students for a 3 year course....

2. Rod 6

that's 4.5872k per university

enough money to print some pointless leaflets and then to put them in the bin.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Here's an idea, why not introduce rules that make it against the law to introduce something onto the big scary web that is insecure? Then businesses will have to invest in security and training.

Those 500k paid for students will just go to some other country that pays more for their talents. It's a bit like midwifery, do people actually know that when they finish their course there are Australian/NZ embassy people trying to recruit? I know this from a friend who completed the course at Salford Royal.

4. Panicnow

Universities can't do training, they just do "Education"

The sooner we create new training institutions the better! 'cos what comes out of University is not fit for purpose, from an employers perspective

1. Elmer Phud

Re: Universities can't do training, they just do "Education"

Terribly sorry if Universities are not churning out robotic fools purely for the use of the commercial sector.

Terribly sorry if Uni's want to EDUCATE people.

Terribly sorry if some students want to go to Uni just to LEARN and not become a company drone.

Sorry to be such a huge inconvenience to you.

Ps, R U Michael Gove (or his clone)?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Good. Universities are not for "training". If businesses want trained people they should either (a) train them; (b) pay for someone else to train them or (c) pay enough for trained people that it is worth those people training themselves.

3. zebthecat

I am old enough to remember the days when most employers recruited bright kids and then trained them. If a company is short sighted enough not to even consider this approach when the job market is competitive then tough titty.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

In 12+ years commercial life I had one week of industry training, which they didn't even pay to let me get the certificate for.

In 1 month of my new education life I'm signed up to more commercial certification than I know what to do with.

If you want staff trained in something commercial, your business needs to spend the money on that commercial training. Don't expect the education sector to keep up with whatever the flavour of the month is. And don't expect your staff to stick around if they don't get the training you say you need them to have.

Universities are churning out bright kids who can learn new stuff, you need to point them at the stuff you need them to know.

1. J.G.Harston Silver badge

Exactly. Almost all employers demands that you already have the skills that are acquired from working for that employer before that employer is prepared to employ you.

E: So, what experience do you have in programming micromedical monitoring software?

A: I've got a first in software engineering and did twelve months' placement writing automotive monitoring and management systems software.

E: So, you have *no* commercial experience in micromedical monitoring software? **** off.

1. Tom 7

and the ones I remember from an interview.

E: The requirements for the post have changed since we called you in. We need someone with 5 years experience in X.

Me: You do know X is only a year or so old,

E: Next....

5. Bota

As an actual student (gasp) but a mature student (early thirties). I have received excellent training from my Uni which is in partnership with Cisco. We have done alongside our computing degrees, Prince 2 approaches but mainly Linux modules, and the networking stuff is hands on. It's: configure this router with x, or that switch with y. Don't use the GUI you need to do it all via terminal. I don't know whether it's the education system or my particular lecturer who is superb, but I'd feel confident going into a junior networking role. As I intend to.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Exactly - we would be in much better shape if our universities concentrated on teaching students exactly what keys to press to make this year's model of a certain American router do the things required in the router maker's certification course.

Instead of wasting their time inventing anything new or educating students to invent anything new.

6. breakfast Silver badge
    Stop

"Cyber" - why does this word still exist. It's a weird nineties throwback. Nobody does "cyber" any more. The need for robes and wizard hats is greatly reduced.

1. Allonymous Coward
      Meh

I didn't know UK.gov still used "cyber"

I thought everything was Digital these days.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: I didn't know UK.gov still used "cyber"

Nah Digital is passe. That came even before the E- prefix in front of everything. It's Cyber now, and even that is probably on its way out. You have to keep churning the terms to make it sound new and shiny.

1. breakfast Silver badge
          Mushroom

Re: I didn't know UK.gov still used "cyber"

But it was Cyber in 1998. I don't want cyber-reality because I'm not running a freaking Geocities site.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Perhaps...

...the funds should be used to educate the gov'ment and academia how to secure their servers?

8. Mike 137 Silver badge

"Oh no it doesn't..." - "Behind you!"

"...Cyber Essentials – the UK government-backed scheme which protects businesses against the most common threats on the internet."

Cyber Essentials Basic just requires an attestation that specific minimal security technologies (e.g. antivirus and a firewall) and practices (e.g. patching) are in place - not even that they're actually working. Cyber Essentials Plus adds an annual one-off penetration test, which of course does not actually prove they are working properly, only that they haven't absolutely failed at the time of the test. Furthermore, the originators of Cyber Essentials explicitly limited its scope to the most elementary low grade threats, and even there it's only the equivalent of an MOT ("annual vehicle safety test" for those of you in foreign parts).

I actually recommended that the Cyber Essentials Basic attestation should include a CMM-based self-assessment of the level to which these minimal technologies and processes are managed, but the suggestion was ignored. Consequently Cyber Essentials does not really protect against much at all.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like