back to article Pope Francis' first act in America: Halt iPhone 6S, 6S Plus deliveries

Is Pope Francis a secret Android fan? We only ask because the delivery of iPhone 6S and 6S Plus orders will be delayed in New York due to a visit by His Holiness. We're told UPS will stall deliveries in six Manhattan ZIP codes (10001, 10007, 10017, 10021, 10022, 10023, and 10029) while the Vicar of Christ is in town Thursday …

1. Your alien overlord - fear me

More likely it gives UPS employees more time to shift through the packages and 'lose the packet en route' miraculously. It's a victimless crime apparently.

2. Chairo

A pope visit delays the jesus phone ?

There might be more to this religion business than meets the eye...

1. Mark 85
      Devil

Re: A pope visit delays the jesus phone ?

Now if the Jesus phone delayed the Pope.... there's news.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: A pope visit delays the jesus phone ?

Jesus was crucified on Friday, fanboys will have to sustain their own crucifixion until deliveries resurge on Sunday, and the phone makes its first appearance on Monday to a couple of ladies...

That happens, when a phone becomes a religion...

3. LINCARD1000
    Joke

I Can't Believe It's Not Butter!

...actually, I cannot believe nobody has brought up something along the lines of "Jesus mobe" in this context!

*Edit* goddamnit, pipped at the post by Chairo... well played that, Sir and/or madam :-)

4. Charles Manning

Oh the Ronny

The climate change pope.... that flies around in a chartered jet to tell the Carbon Sinners how bad they are.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Mushroom

Re: Oh the Ronny

Lets add into that, preaching about helping the poor and needy when the church has hundreds of billions of pounds of assets stuffed away for a rainy day.

1. Paul

"the pool will always be with us"

... especially if they keep upgrading their iPhones!

2. alexmcm

Lets add to that the preaching against contraception, encouraging billions more of us feeding, emitting and cutting down trees.

1. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
          Paris Hilton

Randy rabbits...

@alexmcm

not quite...

While affirming the Catholic Church’s opposition to artificial contraception, he said parents should be responsible about how many children they had, implying that natural forms of contraception, such as avoiding sex during a woman’s most fertile period, should be used.

“Some people think – excuse the expression – that to be good Catholics we must be like rabbits. “No. We need responsible parenthood, this is clear,” he said, adding that he thought three was an ideal number of children.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/the-pope/11357926/Rabbit-breeders-tell-Pope-Francis-Rabbits-do-not-have-a-rampant-sex-drive.html

Paris - now there's someone who knows a thing or two about going at it like rabbits

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

indigo plateaus

It is interesting, to me, that phone manufactures seem to be following the same path that the PC industry went down. That is to say, PCs have hit a certain plateau in their functionality to the end user. Phones are going to hit that same plateau eventually. Constantly updating the hardware to the 'latest and greatest' will eventually wear thin on most people because their phone functions as they require it to.

The phone I use, that I got for free long ago, still runs Froyo (the network not actually pushing updates is part of this, as the version is 2.2.1 and "check for updates" says that it is "up to date") but it functions as I need it to. Make calls, send texts, and the occasional limited web browsing, NetHack, and some Dink Smallwood are enough for me. I know that this isn't how everyone else on their phones will utilize them, but that extra expense to upgrade my phone is not a pressing, nor affordable, matter for me. I'd rather drop that money on a new GPU card or a set of monitors.

I may be comparing Apple(s) to oranges here because I use an Android phone, and a particularly ancient one at that, but I can't help but see the patterns and that eventually these trends of "phone upgrades" will hit the same wall that PCs have.

TL;DR: Your phone is probably fine, if you're considering it a phone. Wait a few more years, and get a discount new phone with all the bells and whistles that will be coming between now and the plateaus without paying the premium.

TooTLDR: Cult like cycles of consumerism

PS: The Register's demographics data can suck a fat one because I'm not a Business Consultant for an Aerospace with 200k employees. But I had to chose -something-

1. Hellcat

Re: indigo plateaus

The days of big improvements is pretty much over. Tweeks to battery life and screen size are all the changes we can expect now for some time. My current phone does everything I want, so sim only for me now!

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Good jobs

Glad there is only two sixes in this story or youtube would be ablaze.

7. Dr Patrick J R Harkin

Pope delayes iPhone?

Then patently it is not the Jesus Phone. It is the Antiphone. As foretold in the Phone Book, Chapter 555 (The area code of the Beast)

1. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge

Re: Pope delayes iPhone?

555 (The area code of the Beast)

Shirley, it is 666?

8. hi_robb

Oh dear

This news will make a few people cross...

/Gets dragged stage left

1. sisk

Re: Oh dear

Puns that bad would get a stand-up comic crucified in reviews....

9. 080

Oh Dear..

Francis fucks-up fanbois feverish fondling Friday

10. Electric Panda

Perhaps His Holiness favours Android?

11. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
    Coat

Feeding the 5000

"miracle of the five loaves and two fish"

How many iPhones would it take to feed 5000?

Big Mac - GBP 2.70

iPhone 6 16GB - GBP 540

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like