back to article Google out-visions Jobs on Mac roadmap

Google appears to know something we don’t about Apple’s roadmap for its Mac operating system. The search engine giant is currently displaying system requirements for its range of web-based apps – recently dubbed Gears – in which it says that it will only work with OSX 14.0 or higher on non-Microsoft internet browsers. However …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

err..

please don't turn into worsethanfailure

2. J
    Alien

Hm...

They haven't fixed the "typo" yet. Do you want to believe? [cue X-Files theme song]

3. Columbus
    Jobs Horns

adding up

obviously an addition error, and I am sure I will be corrected by more maths orientated readers. MacOS 10.3.9 has been autocorrected to MacOS 13.9. I will assume Mr Jobs will along shortly with an Army of Lawyers (TM) to shut Google down for unauthorised disclosure of future products.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Wow..

Is it a Friday guys? As you must have been really bored or easily amused to post this non-event!

UP NEXT ON EL REG...... Typos and spell mistakes found on other websites! Hurrah!

5. Alan Donaly
    Happy

This is why I read El Reg.

No story too unimportant.

6. Tom
    Paris Hilton

Big deal

You must really be scratching for something today. Snore.

Paris would never understand what it was all about anyway.

7. This post has been deleted by its author

8. SpitefulGOD
    Gates Halo

@Columbus

Not when they are one of the same.

9. Marvin the Martian
    Thumb Down

You know what the X stands for, right?

It amazes me that even TheRegister seems to have no clue that X=10.

So it's MacOSX.4.11 or whatever, not MacOSX 10.4.11 ... and OSX followed OS9.

Similar with John Dvorak trying to say Windows 7 would be like MacOSX so he kept writing of WinOS X --- obviously Windows VII would have expressed the same in one go.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A pedant writes

No, it really is Mac OS X 10.4.11 (or whatever version). There's no such beast as MacOSX.4.11.

And what's the better that Mac OS X 14.0 comes out before Windows 7?

11. Daniel B.
    Boffin

Mac OS X

true, the "X" stands for 10, but they've done that redundant thingy, like the "PIN Number", "MAC Code" and similar repeating acronyms. I wouldn't be surprised, however, if they either do a funny jump into "Mac OS X 11.1", or do a Sun and start using the second version placeholder as the "big release", dropping the numeric 10.

Wait, I think they're already doing it... they're already using 10.4.x, 10.5.x as their numbering scheme, they just haven't actually dropped the "10" from the release versions.

(Ok, Sun hasn't done so either, you can still see that Java 6 is actually 1.6, and Solaris 10 is SunOS 5.10 if you look very well.)

12. Tom Simnett
    Coat

And I thought...

...that Firefox 3 had already had a full release...

Mines the one with ~8 million downloads in the pockets.

13. Randy
    Flame

Get a grip

Ok seriously, this was not a bad article, it made me laugh. You guys all sound like you've been reading manuals for your new managed switches all days without taking your coffee breaks. Put down your trade magazines and go outside in the sun for a while.

14. Andrew
    Happy

This is...

...relevant to my interests.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

oh-ess-SEX = OSX

"they're already using 10.4.x, 10.5.x as their numbering scheme, they just haven't actually dropped the "10" from the release versions."

I wish they'd drop the "X". Having x's everywhere in names of stuff seems so totally.... 1990s.

OSX, X-files, FX, x-generation, x-this & x-that... it might have been cute or catchy for a while, but seems kind of outdated now.

Seems to me the only reason Apple persists in the OSX thing is because when you read it, it's like "oh-ess-SEX" which Apple marketing monkeys probably figure will quasi-subliminally attract more users.

So now you know the *real* reason people like their shiny new Macs ;)

(For the record, my pre-OSX Mac is neither shiny nor new, and it happily refuses to run OSX - fine with me, as I can't stand pinstripes everywhere (OSX still has the pinstripes, doesn't it?). The last couple of years I've *also* been running Windows and Linux [on different computers] for different tasks; each OS has its good points.)

16. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Yay Google!

'After several tedious email exchanges between Google and El Reg'

You're lucky to get ANY reply. I was attempting to discover if a Google product offered certain features skillfully glossed over on their web pages covering it. After 4 unanswered eMail queries I was reduced to making telephone calls...

Of course, the product proved unsuitable and I wound up using Open Source software to do the job properly.

Much more of Google's attitude to potential customers and the shine is going to tarnish irreversably.

BTW, has anyone else noticed the Google Toolbar Spell Checker doesn't work properly with Firefox 3 on Tiger for spellchecking online forms?

But don't bother trying to tell Google - they don't read their eMails...

It's a slippery slope Google - enjoy the ride!

17. Mick Sheppard

Time machine

Proof positive that Google spent all of the money they raised in the IPO to develop a time machine. The reason they seem to have a jump on their competitors is that they are pulling back technology from the future and retrofitting it to today's technology.

18. Mike Moyle
    Coat

@Marvin the Martian

Personally, I've always hoped that they'd go all out with their numbering:

"...requires OS X.III.IV or later...", "...currently at OS X.V.IV...", etc.

I mean, there's something to be said for consistency, after all!

19. Andre Thenot
    Joke

@Mike Moyle

I see you've been reading RFC 2551 - The Roman Standards Process -- Revision III, Copyright (C) The Internet Society (MCMXCIX).

20. kain preacher

By Randy

Ok seriously, this was not a bad article, it made me laugh. You guys all sound like you've been reading manuals for your new managed switches all days without taking your coffee breaks. Put down your trade magazines and go outside in the sun for a while.

Are you kidding me ?? some of these folks the completion of butter milk. Sending them into the sun will cause them to burst into flames.

21. David
    Gates Horns

It is obvious that Google has invented a time machine

That is why they have jumped the gun on everyone else and why Microsoft can't compete with them.

This topic is closed for new posts.