back to article Transport for London’s new crash map immediately crashes

Just hours after it was launched yesterday, TfL’s new interactive digital collision map went down for about an hour, as excited Londoners zoomed in to find out where accidents had happened. The map uses data collected by the police dating back to 2005. Users can filter the results by location, seriousness of incident, and date …

1. Oor Nonny-Muss

>>According to the mayor and TfL, the number of people killed or seriously injured fell to its lowest level since records began during 2014

So - was 2014 a blip (high) or is 2015 (to date) a blip (low)?

Where's the base datum?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Where's the base datum?

Why ask the rest of us? You could follow the link to the map, and move the slider from 2014 gradually back to 2005 and following the borough level colour coding you'll have your answer. It's fairly clear cut, the answer, as well.

1. dotdavid

"You could follow the link to the map"

Wasn't the article about the map being offline?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Roads are dangerous, lets fix it by showing where it's not safe.

What a superb idea...

1. Mark 85

Even moreso with idiots and cellphones checking the map whilst driving.

2. chivo243 Silver badge

As someone that travels to lots of other foreign cities, I would surely have a peep before blindly heading into the unknown.

I'd like to see results like these for an intersection in Chicago Fullerton, Lincoln and Halsted.... three street intersection, and yes I was in a bumper to bumper to bumper there...

3. Elmer Phud

" East London’s Silicon Roundabout is notorious for cycling accidents, yet the new map reveals that there hasn’t been a serious accident here involving a cyclist since 2011."

Well, dear Boris kept insisting there was nothing wrong with it - despite the deaths.

1. John Robson Silver badge

And of course no cyclist ever avoided that roundabout...

If something is so dangerous that people avoid it that doesn't magically make it safer...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"And of course no cyclist ever avoided that roundabout."

It seems that the majority of cyclists coming from the North now use a back street route a few blocks to the East down through Hoxton, resulting in a hugely congested cycle route where large numbers of cycles compete with pedestrians to get across the incredibly dangerous forked multi lane commercial road junction.

I now prefer to tackle the roundabout itself on my bike, because there are far fewer cycles and most of the cars seem to have at least some knowledge of basic road rules and common courtesy.

(The trucks are still scary as hell though, but I give them a very wide berth...)

1. chris 17 Silver badge

@AC

(The trucks are still scary as hell though, but I give them a very wide berth...)

as a cyclist and a driver i give bigger vehicles a wide berth as standard. They cant see as well and cant stop as well as smaller vehicles. is this not common knowledge?

Should cyclists need some training to give vehicles a wide berth before driving on Londons roads?

@Chris 17 - Should cyclists need some training to give vehicles a wide berth before driving on Londons roads?

Maybe drivers should get some training to give vehicles (which includes cycles) a wide berth.

Construction lorries (and other similar vehicles, but they are the massively over represented vehicle type) should be required to have a banksman, and should be banned during peak commuter traffic.

Or maybe we could actually build sensible infrastructure to keep the big metal boxes away from people, without ridiculously impeding the flow of those people.

I assume the downvoters don't think that children should be allowed to cycle anywhere then.

That's a real shame...

4. Peter Galbavy

Well, the data set is incomplete. I suffered a cycle collision in 2008 and spent a night in hospital. Not listed.

1. Gordon861

I had a motorcycle accident in May 2010 that's missing too.

5. Cynic_999

The number of accidents at a location is of no use in determining the risk unless you also know the number of vehicles that passed the location during the same time interval.

If there has only been a single accident per year at the edge of a remote seldom visited cliff top road but 10 accidents per year at a busy intersection, it does not mean that driving over the cliff is safer than negotiating the intersection.

1. phil dude
      Boffin

accidents vs density...

In general these sort of projects are generally welcome.

However @Cynic_999, pointed out a problem. Does knowing the number of vehicles passing a segment of road always directly relevant?

For example, it is nice to try and say to cyclists "this place is dangerous because there were $A accidents/month". However, what if the presence of cyclists affects the behaviour of drivers?

The worst time to be a cyclist is when the traffic is moving well!

I mean sometimes in central London, the other cars are virtually parked!!!

P.

6. smartypants

Deaths While Sitting Down Doing Nothing Map

I fear these maps might make some afraid to leave the house, and so I hope they'll do a similar map to show just how dangerous it is to just sit down and do nothing. Countless millions have died that way!

7. TWB

Beds also dangerous

Many people die in bed,

1. chivo243 Silver badge
      Headmaster

Re: Beds also dangerous

Oh to go while doing the wild thing ;-}

and in other news:

Selfies now officially more deadly than sharks

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like