back to article Cisco shocker: Some network switches may ELECTROCUTE you

Oh dear: Cisco is warning that screws in a couple of its compact Catalyst switches may be poking into wires carrying live voltages. In this field note, the Borg says the problem occurs when WS-C3560CX or WS-C2960CX switches are installed without a mounting tray – for example, screwed to a desk, shelf, or wall. Screws not …

1. Mark 85
    Facepalm

Seems like a faulty design issue if the wiring is right behind the mounting holes. <shakes head> <smacks forehead>

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Did Simon Travaglia start working for Cisco?

Sounds very BOFH-esque to me.

3. graeme leggett Silver badge

only for stupid users?

The installation instructions are quite clear on how to install the screws, and if you have to use "30 lb" of force to puncture the insulation, then it seems unlikely.

1. Nigel 11

Re: only for stupid users?

If I were designing a case I'd make sure that no screws that a user can insert from the outside are co-linear with a mains voltage source. Assume that even if the supplied screws are 5mm long, somebody will try to use 50mm screws, and that removing him from the gene pool won't be good for corporate profits even if it does improve the average IQ of the human race.

OTOM, making sure that one of the screwholes is co-linear with the master CPU or switch chip might work wonders for profit margins ....

2. SImon Hobson Bronze badge

> The installation instructions are quite clear ...

Then the design is FAIL. Even if the first user reads the instructions on opening the box, there is no way that they won't get separated from the unit fairly shortly afterwards - lets face it, most of us are used to keeping anything on the shelf that finds itself free and using it when the need arises.

I can't say I've ever taken something off the shelf and thought ... "Hmm, must search for the instructions in case some designer fooked it up and made it dangerous if I don't use specific screws". No, if it needs mounting, I'll look at the mountings and see what I've got that'll fit - if the design doesn't cope with that safely then the designer is 100% to blame. It's not like this is rocket science.

Thinking back to something less dangerous, I recall many many years ago when we got a new DAT drive for the unix box - back when 2G DAT was "huge". Some fecking idiot put a ribbon cable right behind a mounting screw hole and they "covered their arses" by specifying the maximum screw length to be used (it was really short !). FAIL, it should accept any "reasonable" length screw without damage.

1. x 7

"No, if it needs mounting, I'll look at the mountings and see what I've got that'll fit "

even if it comes with the correct mounting screws?

Whats your middle name - Freddie Fuckwitt?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Did you not read the part about how it quickly gets separated from the manual? One can assume once it is separated from the manual, it is also separated from the little bag of screws.

Sometimes the mounting location requires a little imagination and the included screws would be too short since they've got to fit through spacers or something. Not everyone is going to professionally mount every bit of equipment in a standard 19" rack, you know.

4. Your alien overlord - fear me

12 volts internally or are the screw holes next to the mains input feed? In which case, yes it is shocking.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The fixing screws go into the wall, and then the device is hooked over the screws. It's not clear how proud of the wall surface the screws have to be to foul the internal components of the device. I have a mini Netgear switch here with a similar fitting style. There is a insulated flap on the inside of the holes for the screw heads but this one is 12V only - the Cisco described takes mains.

5. jake Silver badge

This kind of thing is going to become quite common.

Most vendors don't do proper destructive testing anymore ... and non-factory trained installers never pay any attention to instructions, never have, never will. Bad combo.

6. Chairo

Huh, techies using the wrong screws?

No, no, that will NEVER happen, right?

Right?

<tzzap>

1. GitMeMyShootinIrons
      Mushroom

Re: Huh, techies using the wrong screws?

Now where did I put those B & Q 3" Masonry Screws.....

7. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

IT kit with built in cattleprod. Marvellous!

8. Jellied Eel Silver badge

Darwinian product development

It's one way to get rid of the cowboy installers I suppose. Perhaps Cisco is also trying to reduce future service costs by ensuring problem sites end up DOA.

9. Josco

Is this POE?

Is this anything to do with that new fangled Power Over Ethernet I've read about somewhere?

1. GettinSadda

Re: Is this POE?

Nah - this is Power Over Technician

2. TRT Silver badge

Or how about idea for a protective mechanism?

Put a mesh of capsules containing oleum dulce vitrioli above the mains inlet so that any screw protruding too far will break a capsule, flood the area with anaesthetic and knock out any cowboy installers. I'm calling it "Ether Net over Power"

1. phuzz Silver badge
        Thumb Up

If only I had more than one upvote for that pun.

10. Mark York 3 Silver badge
    FAIL

User Stupidity!

Fitting a CD-Rom with 1/2" wood screws & then wondering (complaining) why wouldn't we cover it under warranty (correct screws provided in the CD-Rom box) for not working after install.

11. razorfishsl

Fail.... fixing screw points should not be located under parts carrying line voltages, and even then there should be a n insulation plate between the PSU and the case.

12. Missing Semicolon Silver badge
    Stop

UL listed?

How did it get all its approval stamps with a live (albeit insulated) wire accessable from the ouside?

13. Unicornpiss
    Meh

Cisco getting sloppy?

A lot of companies do this.. they grow so big they start to eat themselves from within and the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing. QA is the first to suffer with rushed dev schedules. (Microsoft is another example)

One bit of idiocy I personally experienced with Cisco switches in our organization was our units that had 2 redundant power supplies. If one supply outright failed, the unit would gracefully fail over. However, if the fan on one failed, the firmware was such that it would shut down the whole unit even with another perfectly good power supply available.

1. jake Silver badge

Re: Cisco getting sloppy?

" If one supply outright failed, the unit would gracefully fail over."

That's ANOTHER problem in today's marketing-driven world ... only TWO power supplies? If you don't want the thing to break, n+1 is mandatory ... In other words, if two power supplies are needed to power the unit indefinitely, you must run at least three ... and they had better be hot-pluggable!

"However, if the fan on one failed, the firmware was such that it would shut down the whole unit even with another perfectly good power supply available."

'orrible, 'orrible quality control.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like