back to article NBN fibre-to-the-node launched: Now the long sprint begins

The kinds of people that watch the weekly data releases about Australia's National Broadband Network (NBN) will be watching like hawks between now and January. Yesterday, the company officially launched its fibre-to-the-node (FTTN) product to retail service providers, and set itself the task of ramping up to 60,000 premises …

1. Snow Wombat
    Facepalm

Fibre like speeds.....

Yeah, if you live within 500M of the node, on band new copper, and the mood and stars are aligned properly.

Otherwise it'll be the usual shite

1. Tim Roberts 1

Re: Fibre like speeds.....

Quite. We live at near the distance limit for ADSL, from the nearest exchange. It that is going to be our node then NBN is a waste of time, and will deliver no significant speed upgrade.

1. Jon B

Re: Fibre like speeds.....

You will generally be under 1.5km from the Node, at least that is how it works in NZ. Under 800m and you get 'fibre like' VDSL. I was getting 15/1 adsl2+ at about 800m distance from an FTTN node, after previously being 4km from the exchange.

2. Jasonk

So only 500,000 premises by 2016 when before the election it was to be complete by then.

1. Myvekk

And when, according to the previous government, FTTP would have been completed.

They are all guilty of vastly underestimating the work involved.

1. Jasonk

There was interesting figures before they pulled it off the web site about not deploying new FTTP back in 2014 just completing current projects.

but it's still have not even hit the price tag of $90 Turnbull was throughing around.

Yet the MTM getting worst and worst. It wasn't underestimated its border line fraud to be so far out with there figures. So instead of 3 years it's 7 plus instead of $29B it's now $56b prob more.

3. Winkypop Silver badge
    FAIL

As it is in life

The "Us and Them", "Rich and Poor", "Broadband and Fraudband" situations prevail.

4. Medixstiff

I wonder what the deal is with the cabinets?

I expect everyone's going to tell NBN Co. "I don''t want that fugly thing in front of my house,"

In which case can they just plonk one down wherever under the law or can homeowners take it to court?

In which case if enough court cases are lodged, watch the roll out timetable slip even further. Those things sure aren't going to add value to a property so NBN Co. going to either bully people or find government property to dump as many cabinets as possible on.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like