back to article El Reg unfurls awe-inspiring Integrated Space Plan megagraphic

We're delighted to report that we at Special Projects Bureau HQ have just taken delivery of the updated version of the famous Integrated Space Plan (ISP), although we're not quite sure if we have a wall space big enough to accommodate the breathtaking scope of its vision. Katarina behind the ISP Following a successful tin- …

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Sad

Looking at it, we should have had a L1 spaceport by now and aiming for the moon and beyond.

Sad, really sad.

2. frank ly

I assume ...

... that she has a pipe clenched between her teeth.

3. Anonymous Custard
    Headmaster

Scale?

Come on, it can't be that big. Or has Katarina put on a growth spurt and been moonlighting in a remake of "Attack of the 50ft Woman" that you haven't told us about?

Might just have to get one in any case (the poster that is, I already have two daughters).

4. Ralph B
    Joke

Nice Dream

But we all know President Trump closes NASA in 2018 and Europe falls to ISIL in 2020.

5. Robert Grant

Boots on Mars

Can't think of a better first retail presence than one from Blighty!

6. Your alien overlord - fear me

I think the el Reg one is more elegant in it's simplisity.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Missing step

The El Reg ISP has a missing step between "Build bloody big rocket" and "Put boots on Mars". It is the one seen on IT projects' PERT*** charts labelled "then a miracle occurs".

See classic cartoon.

https://thenamiracleoccurs.wordpress.com/about/

***Program Evaluation and Review Technique

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Program_evaluation_and_review_technique

1. Martin Budden Silver badge
      Pint

Re: Missing step

There are many missing steps. The El Reg SPB ISP needs "Beers all round" steps in between each of the other steps: no proper shed-botherer can seriously be expected to hold off the beers until Mars has been colonised!

8. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Crikey, that's a tad dear, m'dear

The following purchase summary, to a UK address, might dissuade many from availing themselves of the poster offer

Items

$25.00

Estimated Shipping

$87.46

Total

$112.46

1. Martin Budden Silver badge

Re: Crikey, that's a tad dear, m'dear

Postage from the US is almost always prohibitive. Postage from anywhere else on the planet is almost always reasonable. Makes me wonder what is going on with US costs.

9. hatti

Nice

That's one big complex looking darkish blue with red bits graphic

10. Gene Cash Silver badge

Sigh...

Since I watched the first Moon landing when I was four, I've had/have dozens of those sadly optimistic posters. Some of them included "tourist tickets to orbit available: 1980" and you can imagine how PEEVED I was when NASA fought Roscosomos tooth-and-nail to keep "tourist tickets to orbit" from being available.

NASA needs to be disbanded, and turned back into NACA.

11. Cynic_999

The big problem is that there is no foreseeable profit from space ventures that extend beyond Earth orbit so large companies won't get involved, and even modest space projects cost more than private adventurers and explorers are likely to be able to raise. Which leaves only governments to instigate and pay for them, and now that space exploration has become pretty mundane for the bulk of the population there is no longer much vanity advantage for governments. Frankly I am surprised that the recent Mars voyages were undertaken, albeit on a far more modest scale than was predicted during the heyday of the "space race." There may be a military argument for establishing a base on the Moon.

As far as Earth orbit is concerned, a tethered space station ("space elevator") would be exciting and is certainly a commercially viable project once the technical issues are overcome. It would make it incredibly cheap to place even extremely large satellites & space stations into orbit - which would in turn open up many exciting possibilities that are far too expensive to be realised today.

As far as colonising other planets is concerned - it would be far easier and cheaper to colonise the Earth's oceans.

12. Spongibrain

Total Perspective Vortex

does it come with a "you are here" sign?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon